No Cyclops; Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Spider-Kid, Aug 23, 2010.

?

Should Cyclops be replaced with Havok (along with Jean Grey)?

1. Keep them both in, having Havok as a villain for the movie

2. Just keep Cyclops in; after all, it is First Class

3. Keep Havok; no Cyclops please

4. Get rid of them both

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JP

JP Smelly

:csad::csad::csad:

What's sad is that in the last 20 years Jean has been dead more often than she's been alive.

Xavier is the bastard stepchild of the X-Men.

Most characters don't get along well with Cyclops. And that's not even just the X-Men. It's the entire Marvel U.

2. Deaths Head II

Deaths Head II The Sequel

Jean keeps dying but they can't seem to keep her dead. And the books were trying to make it clear for years that the X-Men don't need Xavier anymore. Yet everytime they tried to get rid of the character he still comes back. You can't keep those three characters away. I think it's still valid.

3. ReallyCoolGuy

ReallyCoolGuy Just a freakin' cool dude

That's the exact era of comic books that I read, own and grew up on. :up::)

4. JP

JP Smelly

Jean's last appearance in the comics was in 2005. A little over 5 years ago. And even then, it was just a 6 issue miniseries.

5. Deaths Head II

Deaths Head II The Sequel

Still, it's pretty clear her coming back is a matter of not if but when.

6. JP

JP Smelly

The same can be said for her demise.

7. katie_girl09

katie_girl09 All kinds of smexy.

It's very weird that Cyclops isn't in this movie. But that's all I really have to say. lol

8. ReallyCoolGuy

"The only people who stay dead in comics are Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben."

...wait. That can't be right... "The only people who stay dead in comics are Uncle Ben and Jean Grey..?"

9. EvilClareToo

EvilClareToo Well-Known Member

Amen

10. Optimus_Prime_

Optimus_Prime_ Well-Known Member

Neither am I, and with certain properties (*cough* Wolverine: Origins *cough*) I'd actually want him to be left out. That said, the same goes for Havok. X2 really started this mess of randomly including characters, X3 and Wolverine: Origins took it to a whole 'nother level of stupid. This movie is doing the same stupid crap. There are quite a few good stories they could pull from, like the creation of Mr. Sinister, or the first showdown with the Shadow King. Magneto has many as well, from the fallout with his children, to the death of Magda.

Darwin? Azreal? Morrison's Angel Salvadore? Havok? It's almost like they have a dart board with names and they just pick them at random. Don't they realize what makes these characters interesting is how they were worked into the story IN THE FIRST PLACE?

What's Havok gonna be? Now, before you open-minded folk come along and say "well, he's got interesting powers, lets see how they use him...". Keep in mind every mutant has interesting powers. If you're going to redub Alex Summers as anything but Cyclops' younger brother, locked forever in his shadow, ever trying to be the leader that he is, then what you end up with is "interesting powers". Which is no reason to use a character ever. Make up your own if the powers are so damn interesting. He can have his own backstory, his own place in the story, and guess what you can have the same powers because there are tons of mutants with the same powers.

Furthermore, why the f*** does Xavier have hair in this. Did they even read the comics (*again*). He never had hair except when he was very, very young, and lost it in his early teens with the full manifestation of his powers. I mean it's not like this would cost them anything? Just have McAvoy shave his head.

11. ReallyCoolGuy

They really said that Xavier was gonna have hair?!?!?!! Where is that..?

12. Optimus_Prime_

13. JP

JP Smelly

I'm glad you completely disregarded my earlier post refuting your ridiculous claims.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  14. Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters Attorney at Law

15. JP

JP Smelly

Derp derp. :csad:

16. Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters Attorney at Law

17. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

You know what bugs me?

We may get moaned at for going on about Havock being younger than Cyclops. But all it's creating is difficulties for any writer in the future who actually does it right... because those who have seen the first movie will be scratching their heads going 'but I thought he was older..' :(

Factually not true, but I completely agree with the sentiment. It's like Justice League stories without Superman, or Power Rangers without the Green Ranger coming to save the day... possible, but kind of empty and dissapointing.

Wow, I really wanna read your collection :D

On his head :p

18. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

No more so than any of the other changes in the X-Universe. If anything, the fact that this is different better serves a reboot than if it were in comic book continuity. That way, if or when they reboot, it will be different enough from First Class and won't be a retread.

19. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

The other fallacy about fans' opinions of upcoming movies is that they feel as if the filmmakers are obligated to tell a certain story a certain way directly as we've already seen before. This does not always turn out to be a positive thing. Sure, the material is there, but if you're making a direct translation, then you're conflicting with the very idea of a film adaptation. There's nothing really wrong with it. One of the things that made the first X-Men movies so interesting (and pretty much every other successful comic adaptation) is how they managed to tell a good story utilizing a new spin on previously existing X-Men stories. By default, X3 and Wolverine did the same thing, but they did not do such a good job in its execution.

For now, we can only trust that this "laundry list" within the story that they're utilizing still does more of the same that the first X-Men movies did.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  20. Mike059jig

Mike059jig DESTROY GOTHAM!!!

I like the approach to this new film, so what if it doesn't have Cyclops. Cyclops is my favorite but X-men have many different characters and the casting is excellent. Also Brian Singer is producing it, I will be using what faith I have left in him to see if this movie turns out good.

21. Optimus_Prime_

This is a good point. For example with Spider-Man now they don't want to use Mary Jane, and possibly not Gwen Stacy, which essentially forces them to stray from the comic (unless they do Betty Brant or Liz Allen).

22. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

23. Nathan

Nathan ...

Disappointed that we still won't get any focus on Cyclops. But hey, at least we don't have a Wolverine hogging the spotlight now either.

24. huzzah

huzzah Well-Known Member

Oooohhhh, if only! If onlleeeeee!!

Scenes like this turned me onto the 90s cartoon and NOT the films.

25. TheShah

TheShah Qwixotic Co-Creator

See that's the point right?
    The film-verse might somehow take this modification and potray it in a way that might make sense and fit in with everything else.

I realize it's severely disappointing (I was never a huge Cyke fan, but I get it) so was Shatner not being in the STAR TREK reboot...
    But at the end of the day, if the character's presence doesn't suit the overall direction and storyline of the film... then his absense might make sense.

None of us can say why and how and wtf... without knowing how the movie's going to be.