No genuinely good fight scenes in any of the four films

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
There just aren't any memorable, exciting fight scenes. Sure, the scuffles with thugs in Batman are decent, but Burton has never been an action director. The clashes with Catwoman are snappy but brief. Batman Forever has a very disapointing face-off between Robin and Two-Face, and Batman doesn't even fight Two-Face or the Riddler! We know Two-Face can fight, and the Riddler not only has that cane, but he's downloaded the memories of millions of people. Including Batman himself. So he should be able to put up a decent fight. In a comicbook movie, that makes sense. Forever could have been so much better with a two vs two climax, which would be the perfect symbolic conclusion to a movie all about duality.

Then we have Batman & Robin, which ironically does have climactic showdowns, Batgirl against Poison Ivy, Batman against Freeze, Batgirl and Robin against Bane, but they are all lamer than a $20 fanboy production.

I agree with you. No great memorable fight~s like the Spider v.s Ock end fight in Spider-man 2, that fight KICKED ASS!

Batman begins will have alot of great fights. I won't spoil them ;)

Carmine Falcone said:
I agree with you. No great memorable fight~s like the Spider v.s Ock end fight in Spider-man 2, that fight KICKED ASS!

weren't more than half the fights computerized??

obviously nothing can really truly compare.

i liked the fight between batman and the thugs in the alley in '89. there was even a nod to the 60's show when the camera flash goes off whenever bats hits the one guy.
not to mention the fight between him and the big black guy in the cathedral.

cryptic name said:
i liked the fight between batman and the thugs in the alley in '89. there was even a nod to the 60's show when the camera flash goes off whenever bats hits the one guy.
not to mention the fight between him and the big black guy in the cathedral.

And that was a pretty damn physical fight! I too did love the allow fight, and I though it was very much how I'd expect a Batman fight(at least between some thugs) to be. Not to mention him defending against the guy with the Katana swords. And it ended in a perfect Batman way. Batman just stands there and pretty much just lifts his leg until the foot connects with the guy's face.

KenK said:
Batman just stands there and pretty much just lifts his leg until the foot connects with the guy's face.

that happens in every damn movie...like a little mini comedy sketch...
same in Batman Forever...

Carmine Falcone said:

spider-man 2's fight scenes are just amazing.

any superhero film will have a tough time even matchin' up to that..

spider-man2 was simply a great movie.

:up:

the thing is, batman and spider-man are fundamentaly different in their techniques. spider-man's is fun to watch and very acrobatic in nature. where as batman is just out to hurt who ever he's fighting and it doesn't need to look flashy.

cryptic name said:
the thing is, batman and spider-man are fundamentaly different in their techniques. spider-man's is fun to watch and very acrobatic in nature. where as batman is just out to hurt who ever he's fighting and it doesn't need to look flashy.

BOO YAH!

also the scene in returns when he fights the circus freaks is pretty cool.

cryptic name said:
also the scene in returns when he fights the circus freaks is pretty cool.

Yeah, I like the circus freaks..

I also enjoyed the weird neon clown/skull people in Forever...
sure it was cheesy, but the thought of them being real is pretty cool..
maybe if they made that scene a little more danerous/deadly, it would have been better

I was watching Batman on Sci-Fi a few months back, and one fight totally floored me. It was when that thug with the knifes all over his limbs fought Batman in the alley. He quickly deflected each shot, kicking and using his wrists.

That was badass.

I liked Batman fighting the Two-Face goons in Forever where the goons first blast the elevator door then the door opens and Batman crushing on the goons.

No memorable fight scenes? This is another one of those things I shake my head at when people mention them.

BATMAN

-Batman fights Joker's thugs and takes out abotu four of them in thirty seconds or so. Then, Batman fights the sword-wilelding thug with his gauntlets and bootplates. He then kicks the guy to end the fight.

-Batman battles The Joker's thug in the cathedral, in a fight where Batman ends up using the bell to his advantage, leaping around, being thrown, rolling around, and getting the crap kicked out of him but still coming out on top.

-Batman kicks The Joker's ass, with a memorable speech to boot.

BATMAN RETURNS

-Batman battles no less than three or four thugs, taking them out in a display of martial arts prowess. Then he uses his batarang in what is certainly a memorable moment.

-Batman VS Catwoman, while short and sweet, was pretty interesting, and displayed some skill on both their parts.

BATMAN FOREVER

-Batman bursts out of an elevator when he should be dead, takes on a bunch of thugs who obviously have some skill, using various gadgets and martial arts, and a large degree of resourcefulness.

-Have some of you already forgotten the scene where he crashes through a damn skylight, lands in a fountain, and proceeds to kick ass at the Ritz Gotham?

BATMAN & ROBIN

-Batman and Robin battle on the ice. On skates. While it's not particularly "good", don't tell me it's not memorable.

-Batman VS Freeze. A fight that involves Batman swinging around on his wire, swinging into Freeze, that kind of thing, and a good old-fashioned fistfight with a powersuit involved in the equation.

Batman is not The Matrix or Spider-Man, or even Blade. You won't see three minute fight scenes that have been set up to be such. Why? Because that's not realistic at all, and it's certainly not realistic in a being with no superpowers. And it's never been part of the comics, unless Batman is fighting someone with superb skill, like Shiva or Ra's Al Ghul.

In the Batman films, you see him fight how real people fight. That's how it works, people. You dodge, duck, and throw punches, kicks, and occassionally use the momentum of your opponent against them. This is how Batman has always fought in the comics when he's not facing down against someone with serious martial arts skills (And when he did so in previous films, he responded in kind) There are no exaggerated moves in the real world, there's no slow-motion chain kicks. Just people doing what they have to do to win a fight. You'll see much the same in BATMAN BEGINS.

^true, but I never really felt any the fights were brutal or real. The fights felt too choreographed, too convenient watching them, like I was watching bad pro wrestling or even ballet like he knows what the villains is going to do. Many times, it would just be Batman lifting a leg up and the villain runs into it. Plus, the old Batman costumes were too rigid or robotic for any real martial arts...you never actually see a full-fleshed out Batman fight. It would be pic of Bat standing, then a pic of a fist coming out of nowhere...and repeat.

Batman89 has overall the best and most brutal fight scenes, the thugs in the alley, the black dude everything at the end the final joker confrontation thats badass and plus the movie wasnt supposed to be an action flick. Returns has its good moments but the circus freak fights are kinda thrown together, and the catwoman fights are very short and subtle couldve done way better. I personally dont like the fights on forever because theyre very unrealistic and i just hate that movie anyways. B+R fights are all over the top cheesy garbage that dosent deserve to be discussed. I have faith that begins will ruin all the previous movies fight scenes!!

The Guard said:
Batman is not The Matrix or Spider-Man, or even Blade. You won't see three minute fight scenes that have been set up to be such. Why? Because that's not realistic at all, and it's certainly not realistic in a being with no superpowers. And it's never been part of the comics, unless Batman is fighting someone with superb skill, like Shiva or Ra's Al Ghul.

In the Batman films, you see him fight how real people fight. That's how it works, people. You dodge, duck, and throw punches, kicks, and occassionally use the momentum of your opponent against them. This is how Batman has always fought in the comics when he's not facing down against someone with serious martial arts skills (And when he did so in previous films, he responded in kind) There are no exaggerated moves in the real world, there's no slow-motion chain kicks. Just people doing what they have to do to win a fight. You'll see much the same in BATMAN BEGINS.

True, in real-life fights don't last a huge amount of time... they're usually under a minute or something like that, it all depends on how skilled the fighters are.
Batman, in the first two films, fought how he probably should... very reserved and held back. This isn't because he is a wuss or something, it's because he has self control and he lets the fight come to him. I thought there were some good fight scenes in the first two, but Forver and B&R seemed really fake and played out.

Begins will probably have more elaborate of fight scenes, judging by the footage that we have seen it looks like there is a lot of fights and I bet they will still be realastic and not over the top.

true, but I never really felt any the fights were brutal or real. The fights felt too choreographed, too convenient watching them, like I was watching bad pro wrestling or even ballet like he knows what the villains is going to do. Many times, it would just be Batman lifting a leg up and the villain runs into it. Plus, the old Batman costumes were too rigid or robotic for any real martial arts...you never actually see a full-fleshed out Batman fight. It would be pic of Bat standing, then a pic of a fist coming out of nowhere...and repeat.

Try putting on a cape and then try to fight in it. The fight scenes in BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS looking that way have nothing to do with the suit. It has to do with how hard it is to fight in a cape, and the way he's fighting. He's still moving fast, he's just moving more fluidly, he's choosing his attacks. You need to go back and watch them again if you think they looked like bad pro wrestling. And in terms of "rigid" and "robotic", I don't see it. I see what looks like a man standing there fighting. He certainly wasn't so rigid he couldn't duck and bob and weave.

In BATMAN FOREVER, he clearly snapped several kicks at people in the same motion. He fought like a trained martial artist. The fight shots were mostly done in wide shots. In BATMAN, there are several very good shots of what he does in terms of blocking, and then returning the attack. Ditto BATMAN RETURNS. None of the fights in BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS look over-choreographed. And if you think BEGINS won't look like it's choreographed...with all the swordfighting and martial arts...

I personally would like to see Bats fight somebody who's a peer in the fighting ability category. Watching Bats clobber thugs gets boring after a while. An artist like Bats is truly wasted like that.

cryptic name said:
the fight between him and the big black guy in the cathedral.
That was lame. How can a fat, wheezy thug beat seven shades out of one of the world's greatest martial artists, equipped with combat armour and a cache of high tech weaponry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"