The Dark Knight No Laughing Venom?

The whole "whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you.....stranger" line seems to just indicate that grenade is going to change the bank manager in one way or another...otherwise why would he say it? we didn't see the rest of it.

and also...he carries knifes...yeah. well in the dark knight returns joker was slashing at batman like a rabid pitbull with those knifes...why wouldn't he use knifes?

guys seriously this is how the first joker in the comics was....he was vile and insane. we are not looking at cesar romero or jack nicholson.

Not to mention he uses knives (besides the toxin) in his first appearance, and actually stabs himself with it.

I would prefer the classic Joker i think Ledger could have been so perfect in that kind of role and would have stood out a mile in nolans world i would also rather see razor sharp playing cards and joker venom to me the character only became interesting as he got more zany i dont really rate the original appearences at all.

Well, it's a different take on the character. For the comic book purists, Ledger's will always rate lower cause of the paint vs. permawhite issue. For those who can focus more on the essence of the character and his personality, Ledger's Joker may rate higher. Based on what I've seen with Ledger, I think he's nailed the character. But I wouldn't rate it, til I've seen the entire movie. That's why I haven't voted on that other ridiculous poll comparing Ledger and Nicholson. But don't get me wrong--I'm not bashing Jack, I still enjoy his performance. I just don't rate his Joker as high as you.

At this point after seeing tidbits of Ledger performance it doesn't matter if its paint or if the Joker's skin was permawhite.

With that said, I have a suspicion that as a twist Joker's skin will prove to be perma white by the end of the movie.

Yeah, insanity is being completely delusional and detached from reality. An insane Joker wouldn't make it very far.

Hey everyone...i have read this thread and there are a lot of good points, some bad points but the one thing I wanted to say was this: There will always be someone complaining about something else. If one thing is right, then another thing will be found wrong. We all saw pics of Heath and some hated it, now we see actions and most of us love it. We thought Nicholson Joker was great and some thought it lacked insanity like the comics BUT got the look right. Now with Heath, the actions are right but the look isnt. it's like the weather--when it's cold out, people want it warm...when its summer out its too hot and they want it to be cold.

Can't we all just sit back, relax and wait for July to come?

One thing we can agree on is that the Nolan-Batman is way better than Schumacher's.

Getting back to the original point...

Joker using a knife to cut a smile instead of Venom is like Scarecrow ditching his fear toxin to jump around corners and go "BOO!"

(counter to my own point, there was a rad story recently where he didnt use gas, but you get it)
Congratulations. That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

The Scarecrow relies almost entirely on Fear Gas. Take it away, and yes, the Scarecrow is essentially nothing. But The Joker has used a variety of weapons and killing styles over the years. As far as I'm concerned, if the chemicals aren't a part of his origin, then they have no place in his overall story.

I'm sorry, when did you see Joker cut a smile in anyone is TDK? Was that when you saw the movie before the rest of us? Or when you imagined it?

No no no no, it's not his fault. I was the one to say I'd love the cut smiles. Then this whole thing started. :yay:

(Just got back from class so im a bit behind) Thats exactly what i was saying before. Cutting peoples mouths to make smiles has no theatrics. You just turn into any old serial killer....or the guy from Nip/Tuck. Theatrics is Joker's thing, its what he is, its his most basic foundation. If we lose that, we lose The Joker.

Now, im not saying "oh if he cuts smiles the entire thing is f***ed", im just saying i hope he doesnt and goes for a more theatrical, terrifying way of giving people permanent smiles.

Oh and im just throwing this in there, I really didnt like Jack Nicholson's Joker. Just....eh to me. Just giving my perspective.

Now...im off! *flys away*

I personally love nicholson but i agree on the theactrics its what sets the character apart from all others its why he is so iconic.

Well, if you read the rumors about TDK's ending, you might understand what I meant.

I DO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN, AND IN A CERTAIN RESPECT...I AGREE. I think it would be cool to have laughing gas! I'm not saying that it can't be pulled of again...all I'm saying is that they need to to something totally different this time. If they don't, audiences will think the story is cliche in that respect. IMO I don't think that having another mass gassing would suit this film as much as it did the first.

IMO The Joker would rather use Laughing Venom than cut into peoples faces with a knife.. one just has much more style and the other makes him more like a thug.

Very true. It's hard enough to kill someone and not get caught after 5 minutes, these guys took months of dumping bodies under their houses or in a lake without getting caught.

well, i disagree. Dahmer took people from gay bars to his home and killed them there. That is nothing brilliant.

It's a difference if you are go out to kill somebody and to make a real masterplan.

Getting back to the original point...

Joker using a knife to cut a smile instead of Venom is like Scarecrow ditching his fear toxin to jump around corners and go "BOO!"

(counter to my own point, there was a rad story recently where he didnt use gas, but you get it)

Not every Joker story told involves laughing gas. I've read many that don't. However, I don't think I've encountered a Scarecrow story without some sort of fear venom, except maybe the recent one you mentioned.

The point: the Joker uses many different methods to his mayhem... The Scarecrow...basically a one-trick-pony.

Apples and oranges.

Yeah, insanity is being completely delusional and detached from reality. An insane Joker wouldn't make it very far.

Maybe with your definition of insanity but it varies so your statement is not necessary true.

Also considering this is just a movie adapted from a comic book no less, the Joker would make it as far as Bruce Wayne would as Batman.

No no no no, it's not his fault. I was the one to say I'd love the cut smiles. Then this whole thing started. :yay:

I know, but my point is that we don't know what the knives are for. Even if he does cut peoples' faces into emoticons, I point you to my previous post about escalation.

What is bothering me here is the attitude of some users. It's as if they think Joker ONLY kills with Venom. That is categorically untrue. Plus, he had to start somewhere/somehow - and a maiming people with a knife seems like a place Joker would start.

well, i disagree. Dahmer took people from gay bars to his home and killed them there. That is nothing brilliant.

It's a difference if you are go out to kill somebody and to make a real masterplan.

Go to a bar(gay or not) and get away with killing someone and try not to get caught for 5 minutes. Go, now. I'm not kidding.

It would take patience, planning, and timing to pull something as "simple" as killing someone in your home.

I don't think the Joker in TDK will kill one person, unless it fits into his 'masterplan'.

Nice quote.

I feel that given the trailer we now have, this Joker will be very theatrical. He's pulling the strings, calling the shots--orchastrating the entire affair--'it's all part of the plan'. He appears to be three steps ahead of everyone else, leaves Joker cards to burn in the rubble, drives around town in a 'Slaughter is the Best Medicine' Semi, etc. I think they're getting the character down perfect. Whether or not he kills a victim by cutting a smile or using a toxin, I feel is a small detail. If you can't enjoy the take on the character because of something like that being changed, then I'm sorry for you. I think the essence of the character is being adapted and captured perfectly.

QFT. People around here will always look for something to complain about or make themselves feel like victims. Why? I have no clue. But I too feel sorry for anyone who could honestly be that upset by such a thing.

i just want to see the venom because its jokers trademark...and im sorry Stotch but i dont like the idea of him cutting peoples faces...just too gruesome and not very theatrical..i agree it would be too thugish for him.

I'm sorry, when did you see Joker cut a smile in anyone is TDK? Was that when you saw the movie before the rest of us? Or when you imagined it?

Read my posts before ya start missing the point. I've been complaining this whole time at people who WANT to see that.

I have yet to see a single shot of that happening in this movie.

They're not all brilliant, but many of them are/were.

Joker happens to be both insane and very smart, as well as many of Batman's other rogues: Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, even Two-Face.

I know, but my point is that we don't know what the knives are for. Even if he does cut peoples' faces into emoticons, I point you to my previous post about escalation.

What is bothering me here is the attitude of some users. It's as if they think Joker ONLY kills with Venom. That is categorically untrue. Plus, he had to start somewhere/somehow - and a maiming people with a knife seems like a place Joker would start.

True true, and i'm not saying i'd want joker to kill only with knives/cut smiles. Your post on escelation makes a lot of sense. Of course he'd have to start somewhere. Yet, then again i personally wouldnt want him to end up doing another parade :oldrazz: That's a little too 'big and funny' for Nolan's Joker. I think he'll keep Joker's plans large, but in a realistic and limited sense. If any of this is making sense, lol.

Nice quote.

I feel that given the trailer we now have, this Joker will be very theatrical. He's pulling the strings, calling the shots--orchastrating the entire affair--'it's all part of the plan'. He appears to be three steps ahead of everyone else, leaves Joker cards to burn in the rubble, drives around town in a 'Slaughter is the Best Medicine' Semi, etc. I think they're getting the character down perfect. Whether or not he kills a victim by cutting a smile or using a toxin, I feel is a small detail. If you can't enjoy the take on the character because of something like that being changed, then I'm sorry for you. I think the essence of the character is being adapted and captured perfectly.

Joker's Wild makes my points better than I do.:yay:

I don't think the Joker in TDK will kill one person, unless it fits into his 'masterplan'.

To make things clear: I like what we have seen from Ledger. I do not really appreciate the look and his voice sounds sometimes a little bit forced and doesn't match my imagination of the Joker's voice but if he really has a masterplan (beside something like "Let's wipe out Gotham city for no good reason!") I will be pleased.

Congratulations. That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

The Scarecrow relies almost entirely on Fear Gas. Take it away, and yes, the Scarecrow is essentially nothing. But The Joker has used a variety of weapons and killing styles over the years. As far as I'm concerned, if the chemicals aren't a part of his origin, then they have no place in his overall story.

Well if were gonna play that game then Scarecrow isn't Scarecrow to begin with because he didn't use that stuff 'til much later after his golden age appearances.

The Joker's venom and the chemicals that created him aren't connected by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"