No more 1080p, downloading trailers off Apple's Trailer page

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
I guess this goes here. It's related to movie trailers so why not?

Anyhow, the Mac Rumors site posted this silent ninja treatment by Apple of removing both 1080p trailers and the ability to download any at all. Now there's 480p and 720p viewing options only.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing although it's been going on past two weeks. Then again I don't download/watch too many trailers from them myself these days.

Those I do peruse occasionally. Mainly I remember the good old days of Apple's site being the place to go so it's sad this has been done so mysteriously.

The war on hard copies continues.

In the future you won't be able to actually have anything. Everything will be streamed.

People still use Apple?
RRnhhqW.gif

In the future you won't be able to actually have anything. Everything will be streamed.

I don't get it, honestly. The large majority doesn't even want it to happen. Why are they pushing it so hard? If it's an attempt to stop piracy, having digital copies of everything makes it ten times easier to share. I don't see what their angle is. It costs around $.10 to make a DVD, and they charge $20.00 for it. Are they trying to save a whole dime? No direction leads to any of it making sense.

The fight against "piracy" often doesn't make logical sense. Or fiscal sense.

Nintendo lost the console war to Sony cause it refused to change to CDs because they feared piracy.

And then there's the Xbox One...

Though really, in this case, it may have just been an attempt to save money, since people downloading thousands of 1080p movies (even if they're trailers) can't be cheap.

I hate this so much. I like owning actual movies. Hard copies. Box art. Whatever. I like actually having a DVD or blu ray, not just some digital copy living in a "cloud" somewhere. It's the same with comic books. Granted, I do use Netflix, but when I want to own something, I want to actually have something, not just access to it.

It really does come down to control. You no longer own your merchandise, you license it (with none of the protections ownership offers). That's the future many digital companies want to see happen.

I really don't see the fascination of downloading the trailers the second it goes online

All these posts of " hey I got the 1080p trailer of man of steel that was just released" seem kind of pointless

The movie release will likely put it in DVD/bluray

It's because people (myself included) want to see a trailer in the highest available quality when it's released. This is a very unnecessary misstep.

It really does come down to control. You no longer own your merchandise, you license it (with none of the protections ownership offers). That's the future many digital companies want to see happen.

That's frightening.

Really, if that's the case, everything in the media (books, movies, shows, games) should all be FREE, because we don't really own them, and therefore we have no reason to pay for them. It's such a circular/foot-in-mouth situation, because piracy will end up being bigger than ever.

I couldn't imagine paying for a book or movie that doesn't exist, but only exists in pixels on my screen. I refuse. I like my NetFlix and I like paying $8 a month, but I'm aware that I don't own those movies. But what if there's a version of that for everything you supposedly own?

This is going to be a huuuuge topic in 5 years. Huge. Bigger than the piracy debate. These corporations are putting themselves in a downward spiral.

Not to derail the thread, but the original idea of copyright has been totally perverted by corporations... and to a lesser extent the children of great authors.

[YT]tk862BbjWx4[/YT]

So, ownership rights going to hell isn't entirely surprising, given the precedent.

I couldn't imagine paying for a book or movie that doesn't exist, but only exists in pixels on my screen.

Between e-books, hulu and Netflix, we're halfway there, if not further.

Frankly, that almost trumps anything George Orwell said in 1984.

That's frightening.

Really, if that's the case, everything in the media (books, movies, shows, games) should all be FREE, because we don't really own them, and therefore we have no reason to pay for them. It's such a circular/foot-in-mouth situation, because piracy will end up being bigger than ever.

I couldn't imagine paying for a book or movie that doesn't exist, but only exists in pixels on my screen. I refuse. I like my NetFlix and I like paying $8 a month, but I'm aware that I don't own those movies. But what if there's a version of that for everything you supposedly own?

This is going to be a huuuuge topic in 5 years. Huge. Bigger than the piracy debate. These corporations are putting themselves in a downward spiral.
Totally all of this. Its why I use iTunes to rip my music, but I'm buying CDs as long as I can. I like to actually own what I buy. the only digital service I use is Steam, and that is because it usually ends up much cheaper, and a lot easier to manage. But I like my multi disk DVDs and Cd booklets and such.
I also cannot imagine reading entire books online. I read a lot on these and other forums, but I find actually reading on a device allows me to be easily distracted, or starts hurting my eyes after a while.

All of your mp3s will be useless in 20 years, I'm sure. Hell I don't think I have a CD that's older than 10 years.

Books do last though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"