No new DC movies until 2015?

The tone they have set is great and they should stick with it. Its clear that MoS will have the real world sensibilities that the Dark Knight Trilogy had meaning a focus on character and epic but while Batman relates to crime, Superman is a scifi story. Using Dark to describe this tone I dont think its accurate. Its an old fashioned epic myth retelling set in todays world.

Marvel is doing its own thing succesfully, but this is also a great approach that I think suits the DC characters better.

On the flipside, Batman's tone doesn't work for everyone. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a movie with Aqua Man in it needs a serious, dramatic tone like TDKR had.

I think the ultimate story for JLA would bank in the most money and break every single record in our era to be the Death of Superman with Doomsday. I just don't remember Batman being in that storyline.

I think starting off with a Justice League movie (after Man of Steel) wouldn't be a terrible idea. Unlike the marvel characters there isn't as much importance on the characters back stories. I mean they could make a film for them all sure, but almost all of the members are well known enough by the general public that you don't have to make an origin movie.

I think the right play is make the JLA movie, and have solo movies at least being written by various writers....see what fans/viewers react to and pursue it. If say people love the Wonder Woman in JLA, make her a solo movie...if they arent just keep her for the JL sequel. Green Lantern had the most complicated backstory, and even though the movie was awful....people know what that is now.

The marvel equivalent would be that everyone loved the Hulk in Avengers, so they obviously should try and bring more hulk to audiences as soon as they can.

But I'd rather them wait and get it right, then rush ahead and botch it up.

On the flipside, Batman's tone doesn't work for everyone. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that a movie with Aqua Man in it needs a serious, dramatic tone like TDKR had.

See I disagree...especially with Aquaman I think this tone would help aid the character a great deal. Nobody wants to see campy Aquaman on screen, this slightly dark stylized realism I guess you could call it, would help make an Aquaman movie compelling..which to me is good, because I'm fine with getting no Aquaman movie. I think Wonder Woman would work well with it, Green Lantern could use it for a shift away from the first one, and for the Flash it would help ground the character.

Which to me that's what it helps do, it helps ground these larger than life archetypal characters. Most of the dc characters were flawless heros, whereas Marvel started a lot of there characters as flawed. To be flawed is to be human...and people like to see the humanity in these heros..and this tone I think is good way to go to link these films together and to ground these characters and make them more interesting.

I know a lot of writers have since the beginning chipped away at these Perfect Dc characters. And I don't know exactly how MoS will go....but I think how they are handling it from what I've seen. Batman was the easiest to do because he starts from a darker place from the rest of the DC heros.

So your logic is that Marvel characters need the humor because they're flawed, and DC characters need darkness because they're perfect? Kind of makes sense.

I think the ultimate story for JLA would bank in the most money and break every single record in our era to be the Death of Superman with Doomsday. I just don't remember Batman being in that storyline.

There's no point killing Superman unless people care about him. If you want to do that, first you need to make good Superman movies.

DC only had to make the Superman film but they're in no hurry to churn out Wonder Woman, The Flash etc. and lose the film rights. The pressure is on them now that Batman and Harry Potter have ended. One problem with Green Lantern was the massive budget it had.

One of the main problems with Green Lantern was WB was so confident in the movie that they gave the a $200 million budget. It was not yet a established franchise and they already gave it a massive budget. It was just not a smart move from them. And yeah I'm curious about WB's future now that the Harry Potter series and the Dark Knight trilogy being over.

Jackson/WB may fast track the "third" Hobbit movie for 2014 from what I saw in that thread. With Avatar 2 possibly getting pushed back from 2014 to 2015, WB can lock up three Decembers in a row if they can sign a deal with the cast, but they have to do it NOW as they have 2 and a half years (or less) before the third film is to be released.

As far as summer films, I don't know. What was the deal with Peter Jackson and Halo? Not sure WB even has the rights to that property (might have been another studio). Anyhow, just a random property I thought I'd throw out there.

Fast tracking a JLA trilogy is not the answer.

One of the main problems with Green Lantern was WB was so confident in the movie that they gave the a $200 million budget. It was not yet a established franchise and they already gave it a massive budget. It was just not a smart move from them. And yeah I'm curious about WB's future now that the Harry Potter series and the Dark Knight trilogy being over.

I will never understand WB's confidence in what was obviously a horrible product (The film itself, not the intellectual property.) They talked about Green Lantern 2 and even Green Lantern 3 like it was a done deal months before the film came out.

Here the thing Marvel was smart about how they set up Avengers, they took there time about doing so. They focused on one character at a time. Also with in each movie they lay down the ground works for The Avengers. That was the first thing they did that was smart. Also Marvel has gone out of it's way to make their movies fun.

The problem with them trying to do a JLA at this point is that there not really set up for it. They didn't even start planning a JLA movie till they saw how much money Avengers raked in, which is a poor reason to make a movie. Yes their goal is to make money. However they need to take pride and do their characters right, that is how you really bring in the big bucks.

Now depending on how good Superman is (and I have hopes this one will be done right) they should make Superman there flag character, makes sense because he is sort the flag character in DC. They shouldn't worry about a Batman reboot, at least for good while. If they try to do one now it will flop because it will not live up to the Nolan Batman. Instead they should focus on Flash and Wonderwoman.

Once they have those two out they should work on a Superman Sequal that starts to set up for a JLA. My personal opinion Darkseid would be the perfect pick for a JLA movie. At that point they should start thinking about a Batman Reboot. After that they should start working on the JLA movie.

Right now im a bit iffy on the JLA and DC movies in general.

Yeah none of the Marvel films had a $200 million budget to introduce a lesser known character. Batman Begins didn't either but Superman Returns did. Those sequels earned the right to gamble $200+ million. Having such a large budget does not mean you will pull in a billion.

Well they've got two Mad Max films that will likely anchor their summers in 2014 and 2015. A Godzilla film also likely for 2014, which could always turn into a franchise. A Superman trilogy but that could change with whatever they do with JLA. One more Sherlock Holmes film will happen and Guy Ritchie is working on a Treasure Island film similar to tone of the Holmes films. The Man From U.N.C.L.E might also be a franchise for WB.

Their lineup could look like this with some franchise starting and ending.

Lego
Mad Max: Fury Road
Godzilla
Treasure Island
The Hobbit 3 ???

2014 or 2015 Untitled Christopher Nolan Film

Mad Max: Furiosa
Untitled DC Comics Film
The Man From U.N.C.L.E
Sherlock Holmes 3

Jackson/WB may fast track the "third" Hobbit movie for 2014 from what I saw in that thread. With Avatar 2 possibly getting pushed back from 2014 to 2015, WB can lock up three Decembers in a row if they can sign a deal with the cast, but they have to do it NOW as they have 2 and a half years (or less) before the third film is to be released.

As far as summer films, I don't know. What was the deal with Peter Jackson and Halo? Not sure WB even has the rights to that property (might have been another studio). Anyhow, just a random property I thought I'd throw out there.

Fast tracking a JLA trilogy is not the answer.

Universal and Fox had the Halo rights and now they've reverted back to Microsoft so Warner Bros. could develop that into a franchise if they wanted. Could be too late for it to be the hit it could've been.

DC should follow Marvel's strategy with JL - release individual films that lead up to JL. Two Superman films, a rebooted Batman, Flash and Green Lantern.

Godzilla after that Mathew Broderick disaster? Mad Max without Gibson?

Heck, by the look of it, Lobo with Dwayne Johnson is their best bet. Sherlock Holmes is running out of gas, as good a casting duo as it is, Guy Ritchie is what he is.

If Halo is back in house, I am dumping 200 million plus into that today to anchor 2014. That game is a monster from what I hear (never played it, maybe once or twice on multiplayer).

I'll never quite understand why people are so concerned with WB having franchises. They've had the luxury of Harry Potter which no other studio has ever had. Batman managed to be a success the second go around. At this point I'm sure they will be looking to see how MOS does before going ahead with other films.

Had Green Lantern been a success we probably would have seen more DC movies in production.

Wow DC is in the crapper, they will be very behind. Foreign audiences main pathway to the comics is the movies, and Marvel is absolutely dominating.

By the time DC gets out a 2015 movie, Marvel will have dominated completely. That's a death sentence for DC especially with the foreign audiences.

Wow. As a huge DC fan this breaks my heart. It breaks my heart that Green Lantern, and an incompetent studio is the reason why we won't get Flash, or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman until late in this decade....wow that sucks man. That really sucked.

I loved the Avengers, and thought TDKR was just a decent movie. I feel myself becoming a full fledged Marvel fan soon.

Wow DC is in the crapper, they will be very behind. Foreign audiences main pathway to the comics is the movies, and Marvel is absolutely dominating.

By the time DC gets out a 2015 movie, Marvel will have dominated completely. That's a death sentence for DC especially with the foreign audiences.

Wow. As a huge DC fan this breaks my heart. It breaks my heart that Green Lantern, and an incompetent studio is the reason why we won't get Flash, or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman until late in this decade....wow that sucks man. That really sucked.

I loved the Avengers, and thought TDKR was just a decent movie. I feel myself becoming a full fledged Marvel fan soon.
It might not be all that bad. I'm hoping that GL showed that no matter how much eye candy you put in a movie the forced smiles and goofy humor just don't work. If DC/ WB take their time and get it right... I'm OK with that.

With Nolans Batman now out of the picture, The Man of Steel just became that much more important because its kicking off a new era of superhero movies for them. I'm praying that the GA is done with some taste too. Its a unique chance for something very special that Marvel can't do. Thats dominating TV and movies. If Superman can just bowl people over and GA can become something cool, more like The Walking Dead and less like Smallville, then a 2015 target date isn't that bad. If 2016 brings the new Batman movie and maybe a 2nd GL that gets it right we have 4 players for a line up of 7. I'm hoping the next GL has a smal into for Hawkman so thats 5.

I really don't think every character needs their own movie so a Flash origin can be a small part in JLA with Superman and Batman teaching him how to use super speed, its effects and how to be a hero. I'm fine with WW just showing up to fight and none of the other heros taking her seriously... until she takes Superman by the cape and tosses him through a wall. Make her cool in JLA first and then worry about her movies. Now we have a line up of...

Superman
Green Arrow
Batman
Green Lantern
Hawkman and maybe Hawkgirl
Wonder Woman
The Flash

The WB is amazing with how big they are and how small they think. The Avengers getting made before JLA is mind boggling. They shouldn't be looking at these movies and think 3 movies is good for a character. These are characters that have been around forever... why think so small. They should be think James Bond franchises for each of these characters. If something like GA doesn't work then maybe Cyborg does.

It might not be all that bad. I'm hoping that GL showed that no matter how much eye candy you put in a movie the forced smiles and goofy humor just don't work. If DC/ WB take their time and get it right... I'm OK with that.

With Nolans Batman now out of the picture, The Man of Steel just became that much more important because its kicking off a new era of superhero movies for them. I'm praying that the GA is done with some taste too. Its a unique chance for something very special that Marvel can't do. Thats dominating TV and movies. If Superman can just bowl people over and GA can become something cool, more like The Walking Dead and less like Smallville, then a 2015 target date isn't that bad. If 2016 brings the new Batman movie and maybe a 2nd GL that gets it right we have 4 players for a line up of 7. I'm hoping the next GL has a smal into for Hawkman so thats 5.

I really don't think every character needs their own movie so a Flash origin can be a small part in JLA with Superman and Batman teaching him how to use super speed, its effects and how to be a hero. I'm fine with WW just showing up to fight and none of the other heros taking her seriously... until she takes Superman by the cape and tosses him through a wall. Make her cool in JLA first and then worry about her movies. Now we have a line up of...

Superman
Green Arrow
Batman
Green Lantern
Hawkman and maybe Hawkgirl
Wonder Woman
The Flash

The WB is amazing with how big they are and how small they think. The Avengers getting made before JLA is mind boggling. They shouldn't be looking at these movies and think 3 movies is good for a character. These are characters that have been around forever... why think so small. They should be think James Bond franchises for each of these characters. If something like GA doesn't work then maybe Cyborg does.

Listen to yourself though. 2016, 4 years from now? Like goddamn, Marvel will have like 8-9 movies by then. WB seems to be banking on The Man of Steel, Arrow, and Arkham City 3 to propel D.C which I just don't think can compete with an onslaught of Marvel movies.

Also I think everybody here has it completely wrong. Dark and gritty doesn't fit everything. Go with the tone that fits the character. Dark and gritty fits Batman's character, thats why it worked so well. Fierce and compassionate should be the tone of a Wonder Woman movie, to match her character. One guy here suggested setting a dark and gritty tone for the fast talking, upbeat, fun, everyman Flash. Are you out of your Vulcan mind? A Flash movie should be a breath of fresh air, it should be fast paced, fun, and hearty, just like the character.

You could however go with a dark and gritty tone for a character whose personality isn't that well established and agreed upon, so a dark and gritty Aquaman would definitely work.

Either way we are all wasting our times here. DC/WB has essentially thrown in the towel in the fight for Superhero movie success, but in this case the fighter knocked themselves out with a crappy Green Lantern right uppercut to their own face and an incompetent studio left hook to the gut.

Listen to yourself though. 2016, 4 years from now? Like goddamn, Marvel will have like 8-9 movies by then. WB seems to be banking on The Man of Steel, Arrow, and Arkham City 3 to propel D.C which I just don't think can compete with an onslaught of Marvel movies.
Just because Marvel has released films doesnt mean that DC cant. So Marvel has 8-9 movies out by then, so what?

Either way we are all wasting our times here. DC/WB has essentially thrown in the towel in the fight for Superhero movie success, but in this case the fighter knocked themselves out with a crappy Green Lantern right uppercut to their own face and an incompetent studio left hook to the gut.
I disagree that they've thrown in the towel when in comes to superhero movies. I dont really like what theyre doing at all, but unless the worlds gonna end or the superhero film genre fails soon theres still plenty of time for DC/WB to make the movies

Also I think everybody here has it completely wrong. Dark and gritty doesn't fit everything. Go with the tone that fits the character. Dark and gritty fits Batman's character, thats why it worked so well. Fierce and compassionate should be the tone of a Wonder Woman movie, to match her character. One guy here suggested setting a dark and gritty tone for the fast talking, upbeat, fun, everyman Flash. Are you out of your Vulcan mind? A Flash movie should be a breath of fresh air, it should be fast paced, fun, and hearty, just like the character.

You could however go with a dark and gritty tone for a character whose personality isn't that well established and agreed upon, so a dark and gritty Aquaman would definitely work.

It depends on how far you want to take that though. For Flash I would want a good scfi movie first more along the lines of Planet of the Apes than Spiderman or GL. That doesn't mean it has to be humorless but just not that goofy tone that even The Avengers had.

In terms of movie/ character count, I think its more about quality than quantity at this point. Right now I'm hoping that DC can take a lower character and build them up like Marvel did with Blade. They can easily turn out a Deadman, Dr Fate, Spectre or Cyborg movie thats a little more about being cool and slick than big budget could really bring some faith back to the DCU characters.

The Avengers was absolutely fantastic and the humor was one of the best parts of the movie. We have to remember that at the end of the day these are comic book movies. The Nolan movies already walk that fine line of being pretentious, luckily they didn't quite cross it.

Flash is a goofy Superhero who knows when to get serious, and I think that's exactly how the movie should be. Sci-fi first? Well, since he is a Forensic Scientist, how about sci-fi crime drama? Much better imo.

Lastly, quality over quantity?? They apparently took their time with Green Lantern, and look where that got them. I say it's time to get serious about this or they will be playing catchup for the first half of this century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"