The Dark Knight Rises Nolan’s Batman 4

The Lazarus Pit

The Boy Wonder
Reaction score
With rumors circulating around Sony possibly giving Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield sequels to their Spider-Man films, I think it would be a good time to explore what a hypothetical ‘Batman 4’ would look like from Nolan.

I understand that the story was wrapped up, but say they decided to have one more go at it. Where would you take the story and who would the villain(s) be?

I’m thinking it would have to be some sort of riff on Batman Beyond with JGL’s Robin in place of Terry. For villains I’d say Deathstroke or Hugo Strange.

B7EDBFDD-8722-4F90-9FA7-C531A97C937F.jpeg

Remember, this is fully hypothetical and likely won’t ever happen!

TDK trilogy is my favorite comic book movie trilogy of all time and one of my favorite trilogies ever, but I honestly never thought much about what a potential 4th film would be because TDKR was such a conclusive ending to the story. But, hypothetically speaking of course, I think JGL would be a combo of Robin, Batman Beyond, and even Nightwing to an extent. It'd probably look very different than anything that came before honestly.

The best way to do it is to follow the heightened realism of the first two films and kill John Blake on his first night out as Batman 2/Robin, with Bruce getting the news while enjoying a gondola ride in Venice and realizing he left the mantle to a rookie cop with absolutely no training, no ability beyond being an average policeman and no skills unless being a clairvoyant orphan counts as a skill. :grin:

After that, Bruce comes out of retirement for good and accepts that being Batman is not a one year job, crime is not exterminable, and not every random person can become Batman.

Either that, or the film starts with Bruce having a dream about being with some hot lady that looks like Anne Hathaway in Florence while waving at a happy Alfred, wakes up, turns on the TV and sees ''Harvey Dent, DA, killed by the vigilante Batman along 5 others.''

Yes, even after a decade, i'm still salty about basically every narrative thread The Dark Knight Rises has! :rant::funny:

From the 8 year jump, to Batman being retired throughout those 8 years, the needless LoS retreat, John Blake deducing Bruce is Batman because he's an orphan too and Bruce giving him the mantle after knowing him for 10 minutes, child Talia making the leap because of her spirit while grown men with 50 times bigger muscular output couldn't, the suicidal and ridiculous version of the LoS that wanted to die with the nuke in Gotham for absolutely no reason whatsoever, Bane's fake revolution, to Batman retiring again at the end of the film. For me, the film followed the Game of Thrones seasons 5-8 route. Still a spectacle and supremely entertaining but the first two films carefully built the illusion of plausibility of it's world and then Nolan went Full Symbolism, with Talia's leap, Batman beating Bane in the rematch because he did pushups and pullups, the police running like a 12th century infantry into machine gunfire and winning the battle, a broken back being healed by being punched...

In all seriousness, i think Nolan did all he wanted to do with the character and i can't envision a scenario where he comes back for more. He adapted his own version of The Dark Knight Returns in the third film so even the old ''back from retirement/comeback route'' has been done.

I think this is definitely a fun thread just for the thought experiment and geek out. The trilogy ended beautifully and should probably be left alone, but it's definitely still fun to imagine what that could look like given that we're living in a world where we're seeing Tobey Maguire, Michael Keaton, etc. reprise their roles.

I think it were to ever happen, we'd need to see more time pass, so I like the idea of making it a take on Batman Beyond and going a bit more sci-fi with it. I think the issue for me is, while I like JGL a lot, I don't know if he can necessarily carry a Batman movie on his shoulders. I also think a big part of the appeal of going back to that world would be to see Bale again. And I think after the stakes were raised to the highest degree for Gotham in Rises, the only thing that would draw Bruce out of retirement (even if it's not back into the suit) would have to be some type of world-ending threat. Like a Justice League level threat, only in a world where there is no Justice League. Bruce has finished the job in Gotham and left it in good hands, but what about existential threats to the entire population? Bruce did have that philanthropist streak in him. That's the only way I could sort of justify Bruce being drawn back into things, albeit in a less physical way.

It's just tough because TDKR already did the "come out of retirement for one last mission before retiring for good" thing. It's definitely tricky to think of a scenario for a fourth film that wouldn't feel like a retread of that or a reversal of that. What would help a bit is Bruce really never suits up at all, and it's treated like Batman Beyond where he's just there as a mentor and a guy in the chair-- kind of taking over Alfred's role.

Last edited:
I think this is definitely a fun thread just for the thought experiment and geek out. The trilogy ended beautifully and should probably be left alone, but it's definitely still fun to imagine what that could look like given that we're living in a world where we're seeing Tobey Maguire, Michael Keaton, etc. reprise their roles.

I think it were to ever happen, we'd need to see more time pass, so I like the idea of making it a take on Batman Beyond and going a bit more sci-fi with it. I think the issue for me is, while I like JGL a lot, I don't know if he can necessarily carry a Batman movie on his shoulders. I also think a big part of the appeal of going back to that world would be to see Bale again. And I think after the stakes were raised to the highest degree for Gotham in Rises, the only thing that would draw Bruce out of retirement (even if it's not back into the suit) would have to be some type of world-ending threat. Like a Justice League level threat, only in a world where there is no Justice League. Bruce has finished the job in Gotham and left it in good hands, but what about existential threats to the entire population? Bruce did have that philanthropist streak in him. That's the only way I could sort of justify Bruce being drawn back into things, albeit in a less physical way.

It's just tough because TDKR already did the "come out of retirement for one last mission before retiring for good" thing. It's definitely tricky to think of a scenario for a fourth film that wouldn't feel like a retread of that or a reversal of that. What would help a bit is Bruce really never suits up at all, and it's treated like Batman Beyond where he's just there as a mentor and a guy in the chair-- kind of taking over Alfred's role.

Reportedly, WB asked Bale to return for Batman v Superman. It would have been nice to see, but I wouldn’t have wanted Snyder at the helm.

Christoper Nolan could executive produce with Guillermo del Toro directing (again, WB’s original choice for Man of Steel).

I’ll have fun entertaining the idea but Nolan returning to WB isn't gonna happen. At least not for a very long time.

Also JGL is now a few years older than Bale was during the production of TDKR. Wrap your heads around that one :) . Right now he'd be in his prime or veteran Bats. He might even be retired.

So I'd do it like this...

Gordon/Oldman would be back as Commish. 70ish (like Simmons in the DCEU). Jim's daughter is now of age and moves back to Gotham. She has a complicated relationship with him. Jim is now remarried. Sarah Essen is his wife. Barbara doesn't like her. Her destiny here is not to become Batgirl but the Oracle.

Blake didn't become Batman until he trained first obviously. He doesn't need to travel the world like Bruce. He's the same age Bruce was in Rises and preparing to hang up the cowl. Lucius Fox (now dead, like Alfred) built Blake a few vehicles and a armoured suit that John has tinkered with over the years. Blake also worked at Wayne Manor (school for orphans) for quite sometime & had easy access to the cave from there. Recently he's been taking over for Fox at Wayne Enterprises but a lot of the kids fondly remember John. So now he's training one of the kids from the orphanage (not the kid from Rises who kept asking Blake if Batman was coming back. He's in his 20's now and a police officer). It is indeed Dick Grayson.

Organized crime is back in Gotham. The Dent Act hasn't been around for a long time since the cat's out of the bag about Two-Face. A lot of recovery time for the city after the bomb, which allowed Blake to train, get a new career, establish key relationships and of course go out as Batman whenever the city needed him. Citizens aren't really sure if he's real or not because Batman is dead in their eyes. But this keeps Batman's legacy going. Blake has a tight friendship with the aging Commissioner Gordon.

But that's just the basic setup. Blake is murdered in the first act. And nobody knows who did it or why. ENTER CHRISTIAN BALE.

Bruce is TDKReturns age. Selina and Bruce split up but are on speaking terms. She still lives in Italy. He returns to Gotham under the radar for the funeral and to figure out what's going on. He secretly reunites with Gordon with zero intention on returning to the cowl. Until...he has to by the end of the second act. Unlike Rises, he doesn't want to come back to the cowl. In this movie he meets Barbara, he meets Dick Grayson who he nicknames "Robin" in honour of Robin John Blake. The trilogy was about legacy and that won't change here. I'm basing all of this after Nolan's 2008 quote about Dick Grayson possibly being in a crib.

SO, Bruce and Gordon do put their heads together and look into a possible Joker return. But they realize quickly that it's not the case. Who killed Blake? Was it just a gangster who got the best of Batman? Or is somebody trying to draw out the OG Bats? The city needs to be protected and Robin is just starting out so he's not ready for the job. He's too young. Bale sees no other choice.

This is a murder mystery but the stakes get bigger. I have some ideas on who the villain is, but the story comes first and the villain needs to fit that story (which is how Goyer and Nolan created their old scripts). If this was a comic, I'd make it Heath's Joker (making him shoot Barbara too), but since this is a hypothetical film, i have to dig deeper.

I’ll have fun entertaining the idea but Nolan returning to WB isn't gonna happen. At least not for a very long time.

Also JGL is now a few years older than Bale was during the production of TDKR. Wrap your heads around that one :) . Right now he'd be in his prime or veteran Bats. He might even be retired.

Gordon/Oldman would be back as Commish. 70ish (like Simmons in the DCEU). Jim's daughter is now of age and moves back to Gotham. She has a complicated relationship with him. Jim is now remarried. Sarah Essen is his wife. Barbara doesn't like her. Her destiny here is not to become Batgirl but the Oracle.

Blake didn't become Batman until he trained first obviously. He doesn't need to travel the world like Bruce. He's the same age Bruce was in Rises and preparing to hang up the cowl. Lucius Fox (now dead, like Alfred) built Blake a few vehicles and a armoured suit that John has tinkered with over the years. Blake also worked at Wayne Manor (school for orphans) for quite sometime & had easy access to the cave from there. Recently he's been taking over for Fox at Wayne Enterprises but a lot of the kids fondly remember John. So now he's training one of the kids from the orphanage (not the kid from Rises who kept asking Blake if Batman was coming back. He's in his 20's now and a police officer). It is indeed Dick Grayson.

Organized crime is back in Gotham. The Dent Act hasn't been around for a long time since the cat's out of the bag about Two-Face. A lot of recovery time for the city after the bomb, which allowed Blake to train, get a new career, establish key relationships and of course go out as Batman whenever the city needed him. Citizens aren't really sure if he's real or not because Batman is dead in their eyes. But this keeps Batman's legacy going. Blake has a tight friendship with the aging Commissioner Gordon.

But that's just the basic setup. Blake is murdered in the first act. And nobody knows who did it or why. ENTER CHRISTIAN BALE.

Bruce is TDKReturns age. Selina and Bruce split up but are on speaking terms. She still lives in Italy. He returns to Gotham under the radar for the funeral and to figure out what's going on. He secretly reunites with Gordon with zero intention on returning to the cowl. Until...he has to by the end of the second act. Unlike Rises, he doesn't want to come back to the cowl. In this movie he meets Barbara, he meets Dick Grayson who he nicknames "Robin" in honour of Robin John Blake. The trilogy was about legacy and that won't change here. I'm basing all of this after Nolan's 2008 quote about Dick Grayson possibly being in a crib.

SO, Bruce and Gordon do put their heads together and look into a possible Joker return. But they realize quickly that it's not the case. Who killed Blake? Was it just a gangster who got the best of Batman? Or is somebody trying to draw out the OG Bats? The city needs to be protected and Robin is just starting out so he's not ready for the job. He's too young. Bale sees no other choice.

This is a murder mystery but the stakes get bigger. I have some ideas on who the villain is, but the story comes first and the villain needs to fit that story (which is how Goyer and Nolan created their old scripts). If this was a comic, I'd make it Heath's Joker (making him shoot Barbara too), but since this is a hypothetical film, i have to dig deeper.

I had a similar idea to this years ago as a Batman 4, except my version took place a few years after TDKR ,Bruce lived a low key life with Selina in Italy , there wasn't a Robin or Barbara, and Joker , who's the man behind it all , actually has John Blake and Sarah Essen killed in Gotham , and Selina is killed in Italy on her and Bruce's Wedding day ala On Her Majesty's Secret Service..

In my version Gordon would have been retired and Sarah Essen would have been the new Commissioner, and his wife.

So , you would have had a new status quo a new ' Batman" and a new Commissioner, which Joker would shatter to pieces in addition to shattering Bruce's hope at happiness.

Gordon would have been emotionally broken by the killing and he and Bruce would lean on each other to discover who was behind the killings, which would turn out to be the Joker.

This would actually make things even more interesting IF, and that's a very very improbable if, that would ever happen haha. I like the idea of Bruce being an older mentor, but still has a badass streak in him like Bruce did in Batman Beyond.

I also think Blake kind of would have to die to justify Bruce coming back in some capacity, and I like the idea of bringing Barbara into it.

I think the general direction for the story could be you bring in a lot of legacy characters and create a sort of Bat-family meets Batman Beyond. Barabra Gordon, Luke Fox, Dick Grayson, etc. Maybe Bruce and Selina have a child that could play a role if enough time has passed too. Kind of do the Dark Knight Returns thing with Bruce leading an underground army of sorts, just a smaller group of his most trusted allies and proteges. Make it more of an ensemble movie rather than having one character that's meant to be THE "next Batman".

These ideas don't really offer any story but I'm just trying to think of worldbuilding to justify more story in that world and continue the legacy themes.

Batman/Robin John Blake - Joseph Gordon Levitt
Commissioner Barbara Gordon - Jessica Chastain
Luke Fox - John David Washington
Batman/Bruce Wayne - Christian Bale

I’m thinking one of these three (Blight, Deacon Blackfire, Hugo Strange) should be the main villain.

1F7FD2C4-6DA3-4655-A48C-847E5ECA0368.jpeg

For secondary antagonists, maybe one of these Nolanverse characters:

1C488EE3-B58F-4094-A317-B4BF7D19241A.jpeg

Loving all of this.

And I think I cracked the right villain for this concept… James Gordon Jr.
It would be a great twist and would tie into the Barbara Gordon subplot.

I'm a few hours away from watching NWH, and just the idea of seeing Tobey/Willem/Molina again is giving me shivers. Imagine what would be like Bale and Nolan returning :woo:

If it were to happen it couldn't really be Bruce's story. His is finished. It would have to be about Blake's journey, and probably a larger ensemble of the next generation of heroes and city figures within Gotham. I like the idea of making it about the bat-family to some degree, and the cycle of costumed heroism begetting an escalation of villainy repeating in some new and different way. I've always been fond of thinking through about how the city would react to Blake donning the cape and cowl in his own iteration and the apparent resurrection of Batman ("But is the Batman immortal? Are his methods, supernatural?") and I can't help but go to how the unused members of the rogue's gallery could be used and how, inevitably, the Joker could resurface in response. But as for Bale's Bruce, I'd implement him as little as possible. He'd have to serve as some advisory role in one or two scenes at the most. I'm thinking overall of an extended epilogue similar to what El Camino was to Breaking Bad, and how Walter White only appeared once in that film in a similar vein.

This sounds fantastic. :up:

I really like the idea of, I yearn for getting to see, Bale's Batman (with Catwoman) going up against Farrell's Penguin (and/or Dano's Riddler) :hmr:

I wouldn’t want to see any multiverse mismatches like that. I’d want to see Nolan’s take on different villains.

Deacon Blackfire, Hugo Strange, James Gordon Jr, or Blight would be great. Save Freeze for Reeves.

It's weird. As much as I think the trilogy should be left alone and honestly don't see any sort of revival happening...it does kinda make me a bit jealous to think that Spidey fans got a film celebrating the entire legacy of Spider-Man on film and a bit bummed to think that us fans of the trilogy will probably never get that rush of revisiting that world again. But Nolan ended Rises with the intention for fans to imagine what might come next, so I guess that's what we're doing here.

I just would love to hear this shaking a movie theater one more time and get that chill down my spine:

For me it's all or nothing. It would have been nice to see West standing there with Keaton, (a healthy) Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck and Pattinson. But that's the only way I'd do it. Otherwise you're cherry picking and it feels...off. Spidey was perfect timing because there are only 3 actors within the last 20 years. So they're all young enough for even the current younger generation to remember.

I guess you can go with the successful/healthy actors like just Keaton, Bale, Affleck and Pattinson. But that feels like a slap to the face of Kilmer at least. You need the youngest Batman for contrast, so excluding Rob feels like you're excluding Holland.

It's all a mess. So I say leave it alone and I'm content with Bale never returning. I have my cinematic memories with that score thumping. These days I wouldn't be watching it with the same people so selfishly I don't really want to step all over those memories that I have. They have their place.

I never saw Keaton in the cinema so a part of me is curious for that experience. But I just wish it was a Tim Burton Batman movie coming after the Flash. And not some DCEU Batgirl by the two dudes who took over Michael Bay's Bad Boys. With a Gordon who is the same age as Michael and whom he never met. With villains like Firefly and Killer Moth for Christ sakes lmao.

It's weird. As much as I think the trilogy should be left alone and honestly don't see any sort of revival happening...it does kinda make me a bit jealous to think that Spidey fans got a film celebrating the entire legacy of Spider-Man on film and a bit bummed to think that us fans of the trilogy will probably never get that rush of revisiting that world again. But Nolan ended Rises with the intention for fans to imagine what might come next, so I guess that's what we're doing here.

I just would love to hear this shaking a movie theater one more time and get that chill down my spine:

Thanks, now I just got chills all over again. That damn score from Zimmer will NEVER lose its effectiveness.

But yes, on the subject, it's something that would be amazing for us. I just don't think it's something even WB would be particularly interested in because I know they view the trilogy as a scared box that shouldn't be opened again. I mean, I agree! But there is a part of me that knows I'd geek out if it happened.

I'm a nolan diehard but I think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. I wasn't bowled over by Rises however people generally seemed pleased with how it all turned out. If there was to have been a 4th film I would have wanted it to look something like the current The Batman film with the Riddler on the run and have Bale coming out of retirement for one last crusade....kinda like Se7en.

Yes, even after a decade, i'm still salty about basically every narrative thread The Dark Knight Rises has! :rant::funny:

Oh if only Chris Nolan had chosen not to come back after TDK and WB brought in another director to continue, Right?

That way, The final/next film in the trilogy would have begun with Bruce fighting crime as a fugitive vigilante and ended with him still fighting crime as a non-fugitive vigilante.

Oh if only Chris Nolan had chosen not to come back after TDK and WB brought in another director to continue, Right?

That way, The final/next film in the trilogy would have begun with Bruce fighting crime as a fugitive vigilante and ended with him still fighting crime as a non-fugitive vigilante.
I’ll take what we got.

I'm fine with TDKR too. A little nostalgia is always great, maybe they revisit the Nolanverse sometime in the future, but please, no "The Dark Knight Ressurrections" :funny: (btw I enjoyed Matrix 4).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"