Nolan nixed possible MOS post credits scene

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority here, but I really can't stand Nolan and this is an example of why. He just comes off as unimaginably smug with a statement like that. It's a superhero movie meant to be a springboard for a larger franchise, not a freaking artistic exploration of the human condition. It's about guys in tights living out the fantasies of six year olds everywhere; stop taking yourself so damned seriously, you pretentious ass.

The Marvel movies don't aim nearly as high as Nolan's do, but I like them better anyway because they're not giving me hamfisted social commentary or hammering me in the face with obvious symbolism for three hours. It's easier to forgive flaws in movies that don't take themselves so seriously. If your movie tries to engage me on an intellectual level like that, I'm going to critcize it from that perspective. If your movie wants me to turn my brain off and enjoy the explosions and comic references, I'm happy to oblige as well.

I wish he and David Goyer never had anything to do with DC movies/TV.

Yes, DC was in such a strong place until Batman Begins came along--Smallville on TV, Superman Returns on the horizon, and Batman & Robin and Catwoman at its back.

Truly, The Dark Knight trilogy was the ruination of DC's quality movie/television legacy. Quite so.

Nice straw man.

I never said Nolan's stuff was any worse or any better than the DC movies that came before them. To say I do not like Nolan and Goyer is not to endorse whatever alternatives you might imagine.

Just a little bit of good ribbing. Sorry if it came off as smug.

My point, more earnestly, is even if you dislike what Nolan and Goyer brought to the table (and I can understand that in MOS's case), they still came at a point where WB/DC was low. In fact, until I see BvS, I'm still not sure they aren't low without Nolan. But when compared to B&R and Catwoman on one side and SR on the other, BB was a definitely great thing for WB and the genre.

Of course, opinions differ, but there is mine without the snark. Sorry about that.

No offense taken.

For me, there are very few live action DC movies that were good.

Batman (1966) is a classic and I love it.

Batman (1989) is good, but I still have some reservations.

The first Reeve Superman.

Wes Craven's Swamp Thing was a fun, campy thriller. Nothing special and not particularly faithful to the comics, but I can appreciate it.

And then Man of Steel, which I just consider okay. Really held back by too much exposition and that nonsensical codex stuff.

But that's it for me. I don't like the Nolan trilogy, I fell asleep during Watchmen (never read the comics it's based on, to be fair), didn't dig RED or V for Vendetta. Not big on Batman Returns, can't stand Forever or & Robin.

As far as I'm concerned no DC movie has yet topped Mask of the Phantasm.

EDIT: forgot to mention Constantine. Much like Swamp Thing, it wasn't amazing and it wasn't faithful to the comics, but it was a decent flick.

Even though he supposedly played a mostly hands-off approach to MOS, Nolan put his foot down when WB suggested that Zack Snyder add a Marvel Studios-styled post credits scene to the film.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...el-style-comedy-coda-on-man-of-steel-20141104

His reasoning? "A real movie wouldn't do that."

6Bk8ebb.gif

Hi there. :)

"A real movie wouldn't do that." "We shouldn’t be chasing other movies."

Both quotes are new reasons for me to applaud and cheer Christopher Nolan.

:) :applaud

So then you agree with Nolan, The Winter Soldier is not a real movie?

The original article in the Guardian was updated with this footnote:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/04/-sp-christopher-nolan-interstellar-rebooted-blockbuster

Nolan is denying the 'real movie' quote.

as well he should. I personally doubt he actually said it that way either. But if he did, it was the sort of thing a small man says.

I'll give you the 2nd if you don't go out your way to not use or do things that just make sense or are great just because the other guy did them. Then its idiotic.

The first is just pretentious and farcical.:doh:

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority here, but I really can't stand Nolan and this is an example of why. He just comes off as unimaginably smug with a statement like that. It's a superhero movie meant to be a springboard for a larger franchise, not a freaking artistic exploration of the human condition. It's about guys in tights living out the fantasies of six year olds everywhere; stop taking yourself so damned seriously, you pretentious ass.

The Marvel movies don't aim nearly as high as Nolan's do, but I like them better anyway because they're not giving me hamfisted social commentary or hammering me in the face with obvious symbolism for three hours. It's easier to forgive flaws in movies that don't take themselves so seriously. If your movie tries to engage me on an intellectual level like that, I'm going to critcize it from that perspective. If your movie wants me to turn my brain off and enjoy the explosions and comic references, I'm happy to oblige as well.

I wish he and David Goyer never had anything to do with DC movies/TV.

I really like Goyer but I'm on board the Nolan. I think Goyer's non Nolan influence stuff tends to be better also. That being said MOS worked for me really well. I enjoyed it as much as any of the MCU movies including CATWS and the Avengers ( well maybe I prefer the Avengers a little more
:whatever:)

I'll give you the 2nd if you don't go out your way to not use or do things that just make sense or are great just because the other guy did them. Then its idiotic.

The first is just pretentious and farcical.:doh:

Hi there, Steamteck. :)

Yes, the first statement is pretentious and farcical. Then again when I first heard about these post-credit scenes I thought that it was pretentious and farcical, so there was a balance in Nolan's alleged words. :BA

But yeah, I totally understand you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"