Non-Spoiler Review thread

TheFlamingCoco

Avenger
Reaction score
As in none at all. Is it good? How good is it? That's all we need to know.

Looking forward to reading these :)

wow. this thread really is safe. no spoilers. lol. not many people, too. but then again, this thread is safe. what is there to talk about here then? haha

It seems the only thing that sparks convo anywhere these days is negativity. People love to hate and debate.

Sad but true.

Well from the other thread, from jacobed (hope he/she doesn't mind:)

So I saw this yesterday, now I'm not sure if I put my review here or not but oh well. First off let me say that this is going to be a very brief and completely spoiler free review, I feel this movie is best seen not knowing as much there is just so many cool things that are happening during it that even just hearing a description ruins it a bit. Secondly, I'd like to say I hate Superman. Can't stand him, wasn't really a huge fan of the first Superman movie even though Reeve was ridiculously charismatic and entertaining to watch. Didn't like 2-4 nor Returns. They were all bad to me though I know people love 2.

The TDK trilogy are my favorite comic book movies easily, I find that no movie even comes close to touching those 3. Well I think we finally have a movie that comes close maybe even tops them. I walked out of this movie and the first thing out of my mouth was "wow" This movie blew my mind.

First off I need to talk about the story because it is star of this movie. Its very slow and deliberate, it takes its sweet time introducing to characters, themes, situations and it does it brilliantly. But once the action starts to ramp, man oh man woo it takes you for a wild ride. I guess what I'm saying is that the pace is perfect, you never feel bored. You're always really interested in these characters because they are all so fleshed out and you understand where they all are coming from even Zod. The acting in this movie is just phenomenal.

Holy crap Henry Cavill just delivers like Bale (who I think is the best Batman hands down) did for me in Batman Begin. He is just perfect, he brings the emotion when he needs to, he's crazy charismatic even more so than Reeve was. He is who people will think of when they think of Superman now. I thought for sure he'd be out shined by Shannon as Zod but thankfully he was not. That's not a knock on Shannon, no no just a huge compliment to Cavill. Shannon is terrifying as Zod, absolutely terrifying. The man is completely crazy but yet you perfectly understand where he is coming from. His motives make complete sense and while he's the villain, he doesn't really have evil motives.

The side characters are all very strong especially Lois Lane, Jor El, and the Kents. I dare anyone not to tear up a few times when we are with the Kents, holy every scene with them is just so emotional and Costner/Lane bring their A game. Russell Crowe just nails it as Jor El, he's a man who wants to do whats best and he is also very caring and wise. You believe this man has seen things and imbues all the wisdom he has to deliever to Superman but also that he could kick some ass when he needs to. I can't describe how much I hated Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, wow she was bad. Thankfully Amy Adams does a 180 with the role and she is phenomenal, very strong powerful woman. I love that she is more of a hands on type reporter this time and the directions they take her character are really awesome.

Now the action/visuals. I don't know how to describe the action except to say its just jawdropping. You thought The Avengers was "epic" in scale (which I actually thought it really wasn't) hahaha no no that doesn't even begin to touch Man of Steel. Every action scene is huge and brutal, you can feel every punch ( yes there are punches in this movie), you can see every action scene perfectly but yet the camera makes you feel like you're there. Just amazing, I don't know how to describe it more vividly without spoiling stuff. This is definitely the first Superman movie where I believed Superman was actually flying, the flying is done perfectly. This movie already has the Oscar for visual effects, hands down. There will easily be no competition. Just the fact that the armor is all cg, wins it for them.

Few last little things, I realize this got a bit longer than brief but I can't stop thinking about this movie. The score is phenomenal, Superman's theme is so inspirational. I don't really have any complaints about the movie, it is the movie of the year so far and its going to be very very very hard to top.

Overall, this is going to be the event movie of the year, people are going to go see this again and again. Its going to be the event movie that TDK was which I feel was the last event movie we had, I realize Avengers made a kajillion dollars but it didn't feel like an event like TDK was. I'll probably see it 3 or 4 more times. Finally, we have a Superman movie worth seeing. It was amazing. 9/10

I'm sure there's a giggidy-giggidy joke in here, I'm so excited.

What's up! Feels so safe in here, lol.
Its dangerous out there.

Here's one to get the ball rolling:
Man of Steel is now one of my favorite comic book films (coming from a Spider-Man geek, that’s saying something). My only disappointment with the film is with the unnecessary language – especially since this film is adored by kids and adults alike (who doesn't want to be like Superman?) – and will no doubt be attended by scores of children of all ages despite its much deserved PG-13 rating much to due with Michael Shannon’s embodiment of Zod, which was on par with Cavill’s amazing performance as Superman. :)

"unnecessary language" - In a PG13 movie you only get to use the F word once.

^ Yeah, I have a feeling some of the parents will be traumatized by the one use, while not being bothered the amount of fighting and mayhem-that's not a spoiler! ;)

These are reviews and opinions I can read and trust.

I had a feeling there might be some special language here and there. I'm ok with it personally.

I know kids hear worse at school from other kids who have parents with foul mouths.

As long as the parents who take their little ones to see this movie educate them on proper and improper word use that they are allow to use, it should be ok.

I'm so looking forward to this thing I can taste it!

^ Yeah, I have a feeling some of the parents will be traumatized by the one use, while not being bothered the amount of fighting and mayhem-that's not a spoiler! ;)

What?! No! You've spoilt the entire movie for me.

These are reviews and opinions I can read and trust.

I had a feeling there might be some special language here and there. I'm ok with it personally.

I know kids hear worse at school from other kids who have parents with foul mouths.

As long as the parents who take their little ones to see this movie educate them on proper and improper word use that they are allow to use, it should be ok.

I'm so looking forward to this thing I can taste it!

Agree with you 100% on that. I think it is a parents duty to do so.

I feel handicapped posting from my phone, so could someone message Dajanksta and Powercosmic about possibly writing a non spoiler review for this thread? It's great Cosmic was so willing to answer so many questions, but personally I'd settle for a more in depth non spoiler review.

Here is an exert from a report from another site: (NOTE: It's old, but I had never seen it)

Actor Nick Jones Jr. recently tweeted, “I guess I can say this now. I saw Man of Steel the other day at a special screening…. It was a masterpiece of epic proportions.”

Nick Jones Jr. also answered some non-spoiler type questions about the movie. When asked how the Man of Steel compared to the Dark Knight, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Honestly…… BETTER.”

When asked to describe the fight scenes, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Watchmen meets Avengers.” In regards to the CGI, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Good stuff. I think his cape was cgi in some scenes. Really looked cool.”

In regards to the score, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Two words: Hans Zimmer.”

In regards to how Henry Cavill did, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Henry Cavill = Superman/ClarkKent.”

In regards to how essential the Daily Planet is to the story, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “How could it not be? Laurence Fishburne for President!”

In addition to calling it a masterpiece, Nick Jones Jr. also tweeted, “It’s one of those rare films you want to see multiple times to fully grasp its creative magnitude. #ManOfSteel.”

I don't want to put words in Cosmo's mouth, and I messaged him to do a VERY simplistic review for this specific thread, but I read somewhere that he said it was BETTER than TDK. :wow:

This thread is now my home. And I am just so in awe of all the positive buzz so far.

I mean we all hoped, and to a degree expected, that this was on form to be amazing... But seeing it written from people who now actually CAN make that judgement is unbelievably exciting.

I can't wait to see this damn movie! :D

At moments(mainly in the beginning on Krypton during the talk with the Elders) the camera can be a little too shakey.

I feel that some things weren't explained thoroughly enough, and some weren't explained at all.

Some characters weren't as fleshed out as they needed to be. But the overall acting was commendable. Great jobs all around.

The action does indeed blow TA out of the water imo. It is truly brutal. It's like watching a dc animated show/movie fight live-action. And you know how hardcore those fights can be.

Certain scenes that I expected to be in the movie weren't, but it wasn't a huge deal. I actually liked that Snyder didn't do the movie adhering to my expectations, but at the same time, reached my expectations beautifully. There are also certain scenes that should have been expanded on.

The Kryptonians weren't really fleshed out, but I understood the reasoning for it and think it's a slick way to do it. They aren't designed to go through emotional and personal changes like, say, Superman. They were engineered with a purpose. That's not to say the other Kryptonians didn't show any emotion, because they did. Zod is the main Kryptonian that went through the most emotions, though(excluding Supes).

I don't want to put words in Cosmo's mouth, and I messaged him to do a VERY simplistic review for this specific thread, but I read somewhere that he said it was BETTER than TDK. :wow:

Yeah, overall as a movie I enjoyed MOS more than TDK. But no villain has topped the Joker yet, imo.

There were parts of TDK that I felt bored watching, while MOS didn't have any boring parts for me. The ending didn't feel dragged out, or anything(Unlike TDK, imo). Hell, I wish MOS were longer.

DC animated show/movie fight live-action.

It's a good thing Zack got Jay Olivia of DC animation to do some of the storyboarding of the film. Smart move :)

Yeah, overall as a movie I enjoyed MOS more than TDK. But no villain has topped the Joker yet, imo.

No need to start a flame war, but I think The Joker is the best villain in comics. Watching a straight-laced and dramatic adaptation sure does the job.

However, I want Darkseid for MOS3. They can always reserve the Intergang for Justice League ;)

It's like watching a dc animated show/movie fight live-action. And you know how hardcore those fights can be.

I could now be locked in a room with no internet until June 14 and my life would be complete. I have always thoroughly enjoyed the fights in the DCAU movies.

^ I read the director wanted an Fbumb from Ma Kent :wow:
I guess that question is for Cosmo.

No need to start a flame war, but I think The Joker is the best villain in comics. Watching a straight-laced and dramatic adaptation sure does the job.

However, I want Darkseid for MOS3. They can always reserve the Intergang for Justice League ;)

I think a good Darkseid could top the Heath Ledger just for how powerful of a villain he is. A really really good Lex could do it as well, but he would need a really good script and a really casting choice to make that a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"