not enough muscle in superhero movie

He's in as good as or better shape than Christopher Reeve was in his prime and he was a great Superman

Red Mask said:
It takes years to build the muscle you see in comics. Most actors don't have that kind of time on their hands because most films aren't looking for big actors.
Seriously yeah. If actors wanted to look like super heroes then they'd be bodybuilders, and would have had to forgone acting to pursue that. It takes years and years to build muscle (even on steroids). You have to understand most actors were nerd and not jocks and school. They were the ones in plays and getting picked on and thats what drove them to become stars. They were geeks because they pursued acting over things like athletics and weight lifting. These guys are not going to have the genetic build or even acquired build of a college athlete or a pro wrestler.

ShadowBoxing said:
Seriously yeah. If actors wanted to look like super heroes then they'd be bodybuilders, and would have had to forgone acting to pursue that. It takes years and years to build muscle (even on steroids). You have to understand most actors were nerd and not jocks and school. They were the ones in plays and getting picked on and thats what drove them to become stars. They were geeks because they pursued acting over things like athletics and weight lifting. These guys are not going to have the genetic build or even acquired build of a college athlete or a pro wrestler.

Well I know what you mean but don't use the word nerd so lightly because being interested in acting doesn't mean youre a nerd in literal terms, an actor has to have inteligence yes but also alot of charisma and fluidness and also determination, Iam not a math or science expert, bad place I almost failed algebra if it wasn't for my dad which is totally opposite to me in those things, he's kinda intelectual for chemistry and physics, the thing is that I'am gonna pursue a carrer in filmaking, its tough yes a lot of people don't make it but you just have to go forward and be passionate about things you like, I understand characterization and the importance of telling a good story, Oh sorry I know this is off topic. I just wanted to clear that point out, btw great actors make the roles work ,even if they don't have the physical build needed I prefer that to having a huge body builder that can't act and sounds ridiculous if you know what I mean.

superkong 500 said:
Well I know what you mean but don't use the word nerd so lightly because being interested in acting doesn't mean youre a nerd in literal terms, an actor has to have inteligence yes but also alot of charisma and fluidness and also determination, Iam not a math or science expert, bad place I almost failed algebra if it wasn't for my dad which is totally opposite to me in those things, he's kinda intelectual for chemistry and physics, the thing is that I'am gonna pursue a carrer in filmaking, its tough yes a lot of people don't make it but you just have to go forward and be passionate about things you like, I understand characterization and the importance of telling a good story, Oh sorry I know this is off topic. I just wanted to clear that point out, btw great actors make the roles work ,even if they don't have the physical build needed I prefer that to having a huge body builder that can't act and sounds ridiculous if you know what I mean.
Exactly. I don't want a guy who looks the part but cannot act. heck even Keaton made a great Batman despite his build

Superman, yes, i think he should be played by a bigger actor. for example, dean cain type build. as for cap, they dont have to be 240 lbs. someone in good shape weighing around 180-200 pounds could easily pull off cap

ShadowBoxing said:

Yeah! Look at Guy Pearce. He used to bodybuild, but he stopped to concentrate more on acting.

I haven't seen anyone mention Ryan Reynolds. He'd make a reasonable Captain America - he's pretty buff, has the height, can sorta act, looks all-American (although he's Canadian)... Granted, Goyer wants him to play the Flash, but who knows how long it'd take for that to be made.

As for why don't some of the other actors get really bulked up for their roles... i.e. a Triple-H physique on someone like Routh... future employability is one big reason. It's one thing to look fit and to have some muscles... it's another to not have a neck.

Paladin Roland said:
I haven't seen anyone mention Ryan Reynolds. He'd make a reasonable Captain America - he's pretty buff, has the height, can sorta act, looks all-American (although he's Canadian)... Granted, Goyer wants him to play the Flash, but who knows how long it'd take for that to be made.

As for why don't some of the other actors get really bulked up for their roles... i.e. a Triple-H physique on someone like Routh... future employability is one big reason. It's one thing to look fit and to have some muscles... it's another to not have a neck.

your right on routh, as for reynolds he was also being considered to play deadpool, he could do a good job he has the build plus he can act crazy and comical.

Routh has th' face, but so far nuttin' about Superman impresses me. Th' only reason it's gonna do good at th' box office is A) It's Superman, B) It's Bryan Singer an' C) Th' Special effects are gonna be top of th' line.

Now, I have no loyalty to Superman. I hate him incredibly. In order fer me to like this movie it's gonna hafta be really good like th' first two.

Advanced Dark said:
^ I'd like Ryan for Deadpool but not Cap. His voice is too feminine.

Do you think that a deadpool movie could be epic and become a box office hit? I think that with the right director, producer, budget and of course great story it could break the rules of superman, batman and spiderman being the only solo heroes that make big numbers.

Brandon Routh is not skinny. He is about medium in muscles,and, about 6''2 or around 6 foot something (dont recall)
BTS_098.jpg

I'm not seeing he's too skinny for real life, but for superman I think he is. He should be more broad, and less peter parkerish.

Yeah what makes me mad is Bryan Singer's bull****. "WHy did you make the "S" so small?" The larger S made Brandon look too small so we made the S smaller.

rnewbz said:
I'm not seeing he's too skinny for real life, but for superman I think he is. He should be more broad, and less peter parkerish.
yes. He's not "small" he's just not as big as superman.

Also, wolverine, I don't think he does have the face. I don't like his face.

I wouldve cast a shorter actor who is also muscular but since he's shorter, he looks thicker, more bulky.

Or just get Eric Bana, cuz he's f#$%ing perfect. And 6'3"

cough.

liefeld_cap.gif

somehow I don't think s#!t like this would look good in real life... :o

JackBauer said:
liefeld_cap.gif

somehow I don't think s#!t like this would look good in real life... :o

Thats the thing about Liefeld, **** like that doesnt exists anywhere. Not even bodybuilders have chests that big.

What the heck do you expect?People don't look like Jim Lee or Rob Liefeld drawings in real life.I mean seriously,how stupid can you be?

Sean Bean's face looks like it was drawn by Jim Lee.

GNR4Life said:
What the heck do you expect?People don't look like Jim Lee or Rob Liefeld drawings in real life.I mean seriously,how stupid can you be?

exactly my point. it's an example of what "muscles" look like in comics. (okay, maybe not Liefeld, but that was just fun... :D ) you're not gonna get something like that onscreen.

let me just put it simply: you want a bodybuilding Superman, you get crap like O'Hearn. I'll take a real actor any day. :o

Darthphere said:
Thats the thing about Liefeld, **** like that doesnt exists anywhere. Not even bodybuilders have chests that big.

it's not just Liefeld. 90% of artists draw stuff that's just not doable for the big screen.

I have said this in so many different threads, but it bears repeating here.
The whole controversy over how muscled an actor should be to portray a superhero is fundamentally the fault of the comic book artists, and particularly artists in the last 15-20 years. Here's why:
When you read an official bio on a hero, it will typically say somthing using this forumula:
"Height: 6'4"
Weight 240 pounds (pay very close attention to this line)
blah blah
Strength level: X has the strength and stamina of a normal man of his hieght and weight that participates in intesive regular exercise."

Now, thats all well and good, but when the artist will draw the character, they draw him with the phsysique of a man weighing more like a ripped 280-300 pounds. Think of a contest-ready Ronnie Coleman.
It's not really the fault of the movies, the actors, or anyone else connected with the movie. We have become conditioned to think a 240 pound man looks more like a ripped 300 pound man by the artists, and no one else.
It all depends of if we want a VISUAL representation of how the character looks in the comics, or do we want a BIOLOGICAL representation of what the character is described as.
(steps down from soapbox, bows, and exits stage left)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"