Not too much on the product front, huh?

SHADOWBAT69

outlaw
Reaction score
There is still an ongoing cartoon series, theres "supposedly" this ongoing general character based line, there was a new movie 2 years ago with a new one being made, and the entire license has been granted to Mattel. So, why the heck isnt there representation for Batman in the damn toy aisles??

I know that this has been an ongoing problem for well over a year now, no big line release, very limited distribution, absolutely horrid case ratios. WB thought Mattel was going to be better than Kenner/Hasbro?

Ive been collecting Batman for 20 years now and I will say that this has been the worst "dry spell" I have ever experienced. There is no reason for it, especially considering that there are current projects being worked on as far as commercial support. I can honestly say that Mattel has absolutely killed the toy aspect of my collecting. Even "IF" there were suddenly a consistent couple waves put out for a new line, I dont think Id start buying it, due to the fact that given Mattels history with toy lines, I would never be able to complete it. Even with the aftermarket, selection is so slim, the prices are way too much to pay for a "new" retail toy item.

DCD isnt really doing much either as far as getting my attention. Seems like every version of Batman they are putting out is so similar to the previous one, I cant really justify adding it to my collection. Plus, the price tag on a simple "action figure" is getting rediculous. Even with the statues and higher end collectables, the prices seem to increase with each new release. Used to be there were only a couple of statues released a year for Batman, and usualy only one of them were high ticket price. It was easier to afford the releases thru the year. Now, you need to have a loan taken out to try to keep up with everything. This has also put a major stoppage in my collecting.

Poor product, poor distribution, and increasing cost has really made me come to a near halt on a hobby Ive spent over half my life on.

Dont mean to get on a soapbox, I never do that here, but I know there are others out there that feel the same way.

Man it's been a dry spell in Holland for about ten years! The only Batman stuff in shops we're those Batman Begins toys, and we didn't even get the action cape one! I don't care about the Lego's but you can't even find those here.

I'm sure Batman merch will pick up around TDK's release just as it did for "Begins"

CFE

Slow who cares if its having a drought I'm having a hard time collecting older Batman figures and the JAPANESE YAMATO series of figures are AWESOME.

yeah, i havent seen those batman figures from the DC superheroes line at all. looks like the next time we'll see an onslaught of batman stuff is when TDK toys and figures come out next summer. i really only collect the movie stuff anyways.

I'm sure Batman merch will pick up around TDK's release just as it did for "Begins"

CFE

I'm certain you're right about that.

Tonner and DCD have already released pictures of Joker figures (comic book based granted) but I'm sure the nearer we get to the movie release the more merchandise will start showing up. The Four Horseman TDK line sounds promising and the first couple of waves from the new DCU line feature Batman, Penguin and Harley Quinn, so there'll be some figures from those waves. There's also the re release of the Takara Batman Begins figure if you missed it the first time around, which is probably one of the most incredible Batman figures ever produced.

I think there's alot to look forward to.

Alot to look forward to, IF you can find the stuff. The retail lines from Mattel are next to impossible to find, which is part of the problem I was talking about. It doesnt matter what they show pictures of, if stores dont stock their shelves with the product or Mattel doesnt ship properly or have decent case ratios, you still aren't going to be able to get them.

Also, there has only been a couple of "official" TDK toy pics released, and those were of mock ups. We dont know for certain whats coming, besides the first couple of waves of DCU. Which, see above paragraph.

DCD, prices are still way too high for this stuff. I dont think that its a coincidence that with the more frequent releases of DCD figures, there has been a major influx of those same figures to the discount stores within 3 months of their comic shop release. The shops just arent ordering as many as they used too because poeple arent buying them up like they used to. This is being reported on various comic shop market watches.

What Im saying is, WB/DC seriously need to re evaluate their marketing when it comes to the toys and higher end collectables.

When I was in Wizard World Chicago the DC/Mattel booth had a ton of new Batman Figures on display. But nothing from TDK of course. They had figures from the batman cartoon series and of the comic figures. Though I haven't seen any in stores yet.

anyone here played assassins creed?

I know this has no business for all points and purposes being posted here, but hear me out. I have been playing it the last couple of days and I got to thinking, they should use that engine to design the next batman video game. I mean I pictured the large area of the world on that game converted to gotham, and the three citys being turned into burroughs where crime is rampant or areas where the villains in the game are known to frequent. I picture the horse being swapped out with the batpod from the dark knight because of the size but I wouldn't mind driving the tumbler around a fully interactive gotham. Him start at the bottom of the food chain so to speak and have to investigate to find out where the villains are the way altair has to investigate his targets in the game. Not to mention my favorite feature thus far is the climbing to a high ledge to get an eye of his surroundings before jumping off the ledge, he lands in a bale of hay but I picture batman having his grapple that he fires before he gets close to the ground to save him.

anyone here played assassins creed?

I know this has no business for all points and purposes being posted here, but hear me out. I have been playing it the last couple of days and I got to thinking, they should use that engine to design the next batman video game. I mean I pictured the large area of the world on that game converted to gotham, and the three citys being turned into burroughs where crime is rampant or areas where the villains in the game are known to frequent. I picture the horse being swapped out with the batpod from the dark knight because of the size but I wouldn't mind driving the tumbler around a fully interactive gotham. Him start at the bottom of the food chain so to speak and have to investigate to find out where the villains are the way altair has to investigate his targets in the game. Not to mention my favorite feature thus far is the climbing to a high ledge to get an eye of his surroundings before jumping off the ledge, he lands in a bale of hay but I picture batman having his grapple that he fires before he gets close to the ground to save him.

Yeah your right that would be so cool, but I doubt any game company will spend that kinda money on a Film/Comic Adaption game.

Yes, I too have noticed "the drought". Usually when you go to Target or Wal-Mart they have something Batman on EVERY eisle ( Toothaste, Pasta, Underwear, Dolls, Shoes, toy cars, etc...). Lately there's been NOTHING.

But, I'm really super-broke right now so that might be a blessing, ha ha!

BATMAN FAN??
http://www.bat-blog.com

ADD ME!
http://www.myspace.com/tomstoyz

Alot to look forward to, IF you can find the stuff. The retail lines from Mattel are next to impossible to find, which is part of the problem I was talking about. It doesnt matter what they show pictures of, if stores dont stock their shelves with the product or Mattel doesnt ship properly or have decent case ratios, you still aren't going to be able to get them.

That's true Mattel's distribution has to improve and they've promised it will with the 2008 DCUC line, guess we'll see what happens.

The same frustrations seem to be happening on a number of boards when it comes to finding their merchandise. In the UK we only got the first two waves of DCSH, that was only in comic book stores and we haven't seen hide nor hair of anything since (at least not where I live). So I've had to order all the recent waves through online retailers, something I'm loathe to do for mass market figures. But they are pretty cool toys.

Yeah your right that would be so cool, but I doubt any game company will spend that kinda money on a Film/Comic Adaption game.

It wouldn't even have to be based in the film world to work. I mean I pictured that in my head, but I liked batman vengance when it came out on the ps2 and I wouldn't mind them getting some of the cast from TAS to play their respected roles in a game, set against that engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"