November 2020 or Early 2021

Reaction score
Some 2020 Disney movies either moved to 2021 (Kingsman, Jungle Cruise, Raya and the Last Dragon) or were released straight to streaming (Artemis Fowl, One and Only Ivan and soon Mulan). With theaters being reopened, and movies like The New Mutants and Tenet are finally hitting the theaters around the world. Should Black Widow keep its November 2020 date or move to Early 2021. Or do you want it to debut on Disney+ just like Mulan.

Personally, I hope they move to 2021. I don't think theaters from where I live are open in 12 weeks. The box office numbers for next year would probably be higher instead of November. I also think Spider-Man Hom3 would be moved to 2022, so I prefer if we get 3 Mcu movies next year, instead of just two.

At this point, they don't have to make a decision quite yet. They can see how things go with Tenet in September and then possibly WW84 in October if they're willing to wait that long to see if theaters open up any more.

Just release it on D+ or do a simultaneous D+/theatre release in 2020. Canada is relatively safe but my province is already seeing it's highest new daily cases since even the start. This thing isn't going away until there's widespread distribution of a proven-effective vaccine.

I'd rather not be stressing the whole time about where the other people in the cinema have been. I'd gladly pay for Premier Access.

At this point, they don't have to make a decision quite yet. They can see how things go with Tenet in September and then possibly WW84 in October if they're willing to wait that long to see if theaters open up any more.

Not really. They have to decide fairly soon. Maybe they're waiting to see how Mulan does, but they can't wait until October to move it. They need a 6ish week marketing window for the movie. So they can wait until like mid September.

I think they should just take the Mulan approach at this point with the addition of it being shown in select US theaters. There most likely still wont be a widely available vaccine by February which is where I would assume BW would be pushed back to and wind up claiming The Eternals' spot.

At this point? Early next year. Mulan didn't do as well as they hoped, so I doubt they follow suit with Black Widow

I would not be surprised if it becomes May, 2021...

2021. Unfortunately the industry will have an extremely tough 8-9 months ahead until most are vaccinated

Disney+ this year OR theatrical release late 2021.

Delaying this that long isn't feesable. They have to pay out interest.

I'd say, at this point, take the loss and gear this towards Disney Plus. At least that way, it can be written off as an investment to draw in more subscribers to the platform. Unlike Mulan, families will actually want to pay $30 for a VOD Marvel film.

Theatrically, it's doomed to fail. Fauci said theatres won't be at normal capacity till 2022 earliest.. and that's just domestic. There's no way this won't be a loss.

Delaying this that long isn't feesable. They have to pay out interest.

I'd say, at this point, take the loss and gear this towards Disney Plus. At least that way, it can be written off as an investment to draw in more subscribers to the platform. Unlike Mulan, families will actually want to pay $30 for a VOD Marvel film.

Theatrically, it's doomed to fail. Fauci said theatres won't be at normal capacity till 2022 earliest.. and that's just domestic. There's no way this won't be a loss.

Exactly - studios are going to be taking losses until Q3 2021 at earliest. Depriving theatres of big releases until then is just going to kill them, and defeats the purpose of delaying in the first place.

It’s going to be an ugly year for the whole industry.

This thread didn't age well.... I thought for sure, things would have returned to semi normal by early 2021 (Feb) when I created this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"