The Dark Knight Rises NOW which film is your favourite??

Batman Begins is my favorite batman film, and the one I can watch over and over and get equal enjoyment every time.

TDK is about equal to BB mostly because of the Joker and Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger's spectacular performance, and the cat and mouse nature of the story is ace.

TDKR I have a love/hate relationship with. Some days I want to chuck it in the trash, and some days I find myself wanting to watch it. Then after watching it I'm back to wanting to chuck it in the trash.

Last edited:
Now that the honeymoon period with Rises is over, I've had time to let things sink in.

I now rate TDK the highest with Rises a close second and Begins a distant third.

Now that the honeymoon period with Rises is over, I've had time to let things sink in.

I now rate TDK the highest with Rises a close second and Begins a distant third.

Interesting. Usually it's TDKR as the distant third for some people's ranking.

I love how everyone has a certain ranking system with the trilogy.

TDK is highest, even though I'm 'over' it.

TDKR and BB are a tie for me.

TDKR has higher highs and lower lows.
BB doesn't F up as much, but it doesn't reach the heights TDKR does.

Yeah, that's all very true. Still, in other ways TDK and TDKR feel more like full fledged Batman movies to me. Things like the color palettes, more and cooler Bat-gadgets and vehicles, more major characters from the comics, Gordon becoming commissioner etc.

BB is the only film of the trilogy that shows the batarangs though(or bat shurikens if you want to call it that) and that's possibly Batman's most famous "gadget", although it's not really a gadget anymore in Nolan's version. Plus, the look and feel of Gotham feels a lot more like a dirty Gotham City in BB.

I can definitely see how BB feels much more like a Batman film, but I can't help but loving TDKR and TDK much more...just the way Nolan uses the other genres...it's definitely quite a new thing for a CBM.

Interesting. Usually it's TDKR as the distant third for some people's ranking.

I love how everyone has a certain ranking system with the trilogy.

Some people would have BB as last, TDKR and even TDK to some...the trilogy definitely varies form person to person indeed.

Not to mention that BB is the only film in the trilogy to feature Arkham Asylum.

But once again, it's why I love these films so much, each film offers things that the other two don't; and vice versa.

Rises and Knight are tired for me with Begins a distant third. Still love Begins a lot but TDK and TDKR are just on another level to me,

Since we are talking about our favorite film, what is your guys favorite portrayal of Gotham City in the trilogy?

While I love the gritty, crime infested, blade runner-esque look of Gotham in BB; I much prefer the full on location, grandiose settings from TDK/TDKR.

It's pretty much a toss up between TDK/TDKR, but seeing the snow laden Gotham in Rises was a real treat. So I think I'd go with that.

I think TDK remains my favourite film. Begins remains my favourite "Batman film", but enjoyed the fact that TDK starts of with all the characters already in play. I'm forever thankful for those 2 movies.

I like all the films the same. Never understood the problems other fans have with these films. The films are all different. Thats a great thing. I love how Nolan gave the characters somewhere to go forward. Gordon was'nt commish yet. He gave Bruce a real goal that He could complete. Alfred had more to do & say. The villians were not just thrown in, they were there in their respective films to move Bruce along in his arc/story. The point of Batman is to bring Gotham to a place where Batman is not need anymore and the police are doing their job correctly. Bruce wants a real life with a woman but while he still has a mission to complete that doesn't matter to him yet. In the comics his mission will always mid completed or at the start etc. We can choose how we want it in the comics, we have stories about his starting years,middle. Even in TDKreturns at the end of the book his mission wasnt complete and had a follow-up book. I love how in The dark knight trilogy everything is moving forward to a conclusion. The city's look starts of dirty in bb and looks cleaner with each next film, symbolising Batman & Gordons clean up on crime.

Since we are talking about our favorite film, what is your guys favorite portrayal of Gotham City in the trilogy?

While I love the gritty, crime infested, blade runner-esque look of Gotham in BB; I much prefer the full on location, grandiose settings from TDK/TDKR.

It's pretty much a toss up between TDK/TDKR, but seeing the snow laden Gotham in Rises was a real treat. So I think I'd go with that.

Begins was probably the most atmospheric but I too love the on location filming more. That plus snow makes my choice Rises as well.

The settings of all three films are very important to each film.

Batman Begins - a ruined, crumbling hell that has gone through years of corruption.

The Dark Knight - a more lively city(an example is the media almost being at every turn with the film), and a bit more cleaner to parallel Batman's crusade on the criminality of the city but things started to turn for the worse when Joker starts his killing spree.

The Dark Knight Rises - a falsehood of Gotham City being a safe and clean place once more that turns into what it really has become: a desolate place that goes hand in hand with the streets being covered in snow and the population hidden away in their homes or bundled up together in the orphanage. Also, quite fitting, once Batman saves the day, we see a Gotham that isn't a snowy village anymore, much as how TDK was in the beginning.

I'm very thankful for a trilogy that is much, much, much more than meets the eyes. Even the setting is a treat for each film's theme.

I always find it funny how people say BB is more of a "Batman film" yet there is more of Bruce in the suit in TDK, and he is busting his ass to find the Joker, doing a lot of crafty detective work, lol.

I look at it this way:

BB - The classic creature of the night depiction of Batman.
TDK - The in his prime, detective focus of Batman.
TDKR - The Dark Knight Returns styled aging Batman, who is fighting father time.

To me, each of the films are representative of the major arcs in Bruce/Batman's life while still being a self-contained story of its own. The origin story with Begins depicting the "creature of the night", Batman being established and in his prime in Knight why that film is the most popular, and the aging legend coming back for the final battle and subsequent passing of the torch in Rises. You have a very, very basic and truncated structure of the character arc presented in three parts.

Just stumbled upon this article about some of the best trilogies ever. This is what was said about TDK-Trilogy:

7. The 'Dark Knight' trilogy

Films: "Batman Begins" (2005), "The Dark Knight" (2008), "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012)
Director: Christopher Nolan
Best of the bunch: "The Dark Knight"
Weakest Link: "Batman Begins"
Why it's a great trilogy: If Tim Burton's "Batman" films brought superheroes to a critical and popular mass in the early 1990's than Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy proved the Caped Crusader could reach unexpected cinematic heights in the 21st Century. While "Batman Begins" is unfortunately clunky at times because of the need to fashion an origin story with an extra third act, "The Dark Knight" is a hands down masterpiece and one of the top 10 films of the '00s. The final installment, "The Dark Knight Rises," combines all the themes of heroism and revenge introduced in "Begins" into a great film that is only diminished when standing alongside its predecessor. Many superhero films (including the popular "Avengers" related films) will age quickly. Like the best of Bond and Indiana Jones, "The Dark Knight" will endure for decades to come.
- Gregory Ellwood

http://www.hitfix.com/news/10-greatest-movie-trilogies

:up:

Cool article, thanks for posting. I was glad to see The Matrix Trilogy get some love, as I am an unabashed fan of that trilogy (including the sequels).

Interestingly enough, Richard Roeper ranked TDK Trilogy as the second greatest trilogy of all time, behind the Godfather Trilogy but ahead of Star Wars.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper...ovie-trilogy-but-another-was-even-better.html

I was really surprised he ranked it so high and ultimately ahead of the original Star Wars Trilogy.

What's even more shocking is LOTR is not on the list.

Right now, The Dark Knight Rises is my favorite to watch of the three. I've had nearly 5 years for The Dark Knight and 8 (8?!) years for Batman Begins.

it seems those Batman Begins supporters are a loud minority.

TDK comes out on top, as it should be.

Just stumbled upon this article about some of the best trilogies ever. This is what was said about TDK-Trilogy:

7. The 'Dark Knight' trilogy

Films: "Batman Begins" (2005), "The Dark Knight" (2008), "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012)
Director: Christopher Nolan
Best of the bunch: "The Dark Knight"
Weakest Link: "Batman Begins"
Why it's a great trilogy: If Tim Burton's "Batman" films brought superheroes to a critical and popular mass in the early 1990's than Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy proved the Caped Crusader could reach unexpected cinematic heights in the 21st Century. While "Batman Begins" is unfortunately clunky at times because of the need to fashion an origin story with an extra third act, "The Dark Knight" is a hands down masterpiece and one of the top 10 films of the '00s. The final installment, "The Dark Knight Rises," combines all the themes of heroism and revenge introduced in "Begins" into a great film that is only diminished when standing alongside its predecessor. Many superhero films (including the popular "Avengers" related films) will age quickly. Like the best of Bond and Indiana Jones, "The Dark Knight" will endure for decades to come.
- Gregory Ellwood

http://www.hitfix.com/news/10-greatest-movie-trilogies

:up:

Agree with what they call the weakest link of the trilogy, as Batman Begins is definitely my least favorite of the trilogy for sure, but I will always be the little fanboy that prefers The Dark Knight Rises over The Dark Knight as the best of the trilogy, lol.

And what do they mean by saying The Dark Knight will endure? That one film or the entire trilogy?

Looking at the list though....it seems a bit odd. Part 3 of Godfather was a ****fest, lol. Just because it had a part three and is known as a trilogy shouldn't mean it belongs in a 'Best of Trilogies' list. But I'm glad to see some love for Matrix and Mad Max(can't wait to see Hardy taking that role) :up:

Cool article, thanks for posting. I was glad to see The Matrix Trilogy get some love, as I am an unabashed fan of that trilogy (including the sequels).

Interestingly enough, Richard Roeper ranked TDK Trilogy as the second greatest trilogy of all time, behind the Godfather Trilogy but ahead of Star Wars.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/14155486-452/the-dark-knight-rises-closes-a-great-movie-trilogy-but-another-was-even-better.html

Again in regards to Godfather,

Just because it had a part three and is known as a trilogy shouldn't mean it belongs in a 'Best of Trilogies' list.

It's like saying Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy is phenomenal when S-M 3 was just awful, lol. Much like Raimi's films, Godfather I and II were amazing, but I'd never try to watch Part III ever again.

And I won't even get started with Alien 3...

Amazing how had it not been for the critical praise and box office performance for the 'weakest link" there wouldn't have been a trilogy. Batman Begins definitely did its job plus some. Its still my favourite Batman movie of all time, with TDK being my favourite comic movie of all time.

Hrmmm, okay? No one is denying any critical praise, but when comparing to TDK and TDKR, when not even thinking of one's preference, BB does have lesser scores compared to TDK and TDKR.

Agree with what they call the weakest link of the trilogy, as Batman Begins is definitely my least favorite of the trilogy for sure, but I will always be the little fanboy that prefers The Dark Knight Rises over The Dark Knight as the best of the trilogy, lol.

And what do they mean by saying The Dark Knight will endure? That one film or the entire trilogy?

Looking at the list though....it seems a bit odd. Part 3 of Godfather was a ****fest, lol. Just because it had a part three and is known as a trilogy shouldn't mean it belongs in a 'Best of Trilogies' list. But I'm glad to see some love for Matrix and Mad Max(can't wait to see Hardy taking that role) :up:

Again in regards to Godfather,

Just because it had a part three and is known as a trilogy shouldn't mean it belongs in a 'Best of Trilogies' list.

It's like saying Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy is phenomenal when S-M 3 was just awful, lol. Much like Raimi's films, Godfather I and II were amazing, but I'd never try to watch Part III ever again.

And I won't even get started with Alien 3...

Godfather Part III is a good film compared to 99% of the stuff out there. Compared to arguably two of the top 5 or 10 movies ever made? Yeah, tough to hold up under that level of expectation. I think when you combine the fact that Part III is a good film on its own with the fact that Parts I and II are two of the best ever, it becomes a no brainer as one of the best trilogies. Personally I rate Parts I and II strong enough that the trilogy is the greatest ever in my book.

I'll just say this...Godfather Part III ends up being the most unsatisfying ending to a trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"