NX - Nintendo's Next Generation Hardware Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they've explicitly said they won't show it off, I highly doubt it. They specifically said Zelda wouldn't be there last year and it was totally MIA.

Monster Hunter is Capcom, not Nintendo. Monster Hunter was never on DS (are you meaning 3DS?). It's "stuck" there because Monster Hunter has always sold three times as much on handheld as console. The series only became popular on handhelds really, and only did soft sells in the beginning on the PS2. If anything, going to handhelds elevated that series.

Fire Emblem is another case of a series that's become more popular on handhelds than consoles, so I think that's where the focus has naturally shifted. There's no reason for them not to do a Fire Emblem console game, but I can understand why they don't. I also wish they would, though, even if I think the spin-off looks good.

Pokemon is a weird situation. Nintendo alone doesn't have full control over the IP, they are in a joint ownership of it with Gamefreak, which comes together as The Pokemon Company. Nintendo basically owns enough of the IP that it will remain exclusive to Nintendo hardware, but Gamefreak has always retained creative control of the series and chosen to keep the main series to handhelds. So, that is not totally in Nintendo's control. It's also why Pokemon had mobile apps and games long before Nintendo as a whole began adapting mobile. I honestly think that if Nintendo were in 100% control of the series, they would have attempted this by now, probably in a similar way to Smash 4 with versions for consoles and handhelds.

I haven't played the new Starfox, so I won't comment on it. The reviews have been mixed, but some seem to be enjoying it, so I don't know what you mean there exactly.
I understand they have become popular on the handhelds. The point is that their popularity has grown there, which is why you'd for crossover appeal. I just think it would be smart in shifting consoles, which they seem rather bad at right now, even with arguably the best line up of games this consoles generation.

Did not know that about Pokemon. Thanks for the info.

I was rather excited about Star Fox, but I saw the reviews and realized that apparently unless you have the amiibo you have to play the game with motion controls, and they aren't great. I just wanted to play Star Fox. Can't.

If you mean the hybrid rumor, there was never any real solid credence to that outside a lot of people wishfully thinking (for some reason). Iwata shot the idea down, actually, several times during investor meetings, and the idea of the hybrid is a nightmare on multiple levels.

The prevailing rumor that has some degree of possibility to it is that there are two different devices that will resemble handheld and home console but with a unified OS and coding, allowing them to share a lot of the same library, much like iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc. A lot of that is based on Iwata comparing Nintendo going foward with iOS and Android devices.
So basically playing your games on the Wii U Pad, but as a legit handheld?

No, more like you have two device that are very similar, have very similar libraries with a lot of shared overlap, but have different overall intended functions functions. Think iPhone and iPad. Both are very similar, but designed for different things, and while both have a lot of shared software and abilities they also have exclusive software and abilities catered to their intended function. What you described is like literally the opposite of what I said lol.

That is, of course, just speculating based on what Iwata said about the NX before his passing, and the general idea is that they are still more or less on the path he set for the company. Of course, it could end being something else, it could even end up being an actual hybrid, but I don't think it will for a variety of reasons.

No, more like you have two device that are very similar, have very similar libraries with a lot of shared overlap, but have different overall intended functions functions. Think iPhone and iPad. Both are very similar, but designed for different things, and while both have a lot of shared software and abilities they also have exclusive software and abilities catered to their intended function. What you described is like literally the opposite of what I said lol.

That is, of course, just speculating based on what Iwata said about the NX before his passing, and the general idea is that they are still more or less on the path he set for the company. Of course, it could end being something else, it could even end up being an actual hybrid, but I don't think it will for a variety of reasons.
See, where I am confused is the shared libraries. Like I understand them having different functionalities, but how would they share software?

Like using a not perfect example. How much stuff could really work on a 3DS and a Wii U?

Certain games would be widely available to both systems, while others would be restricted to one or the other due to limitations or features of one device. Like, for instance, Pokemon would be designed specifically for the handheld version and tailored to it due to the easier and more functional ability of a handheld, where as say Zelda would only be on the console version to take advantage of the extra horsepower and such.

But a game like say Animal Crossing would be widely available for both. Perhaps the console version would look better by being upscaled or run better like some games do on iPad vs iPhone.

A non-perfect example of how such a system would be implemented. It's hard to say, for sure, of course how well that could work.

• Koei Tecmo Developing Games for the Nintendo NX

Posted on April 28, 2016 | 4 Comments
    Hopefully they announce some of them soon.Continue Reading...

• Koei Tecmo has announced that they have begun development for Nintendo’s upcoming console. However, at the moment there has been no mention about what these projects are.

[*]Koei Tecmo has had a few recent releases on Nintendo’s consoles such as Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends for the Wii U and 3DS. Along with Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water for the Wii U, which we have a review for if you’d like to take a look.
    SOURCE
Via: Operation Rainfall

Nintendo doesn't appear to be selling the system at a loss. So, it will be interesting to see where the price point comes out at.

They'd be crazy to sell it for more than $350. I wonder if they may have changed their minds on having an expensive peripheral for a main controller. If i'm not mistaken that's why the Wii U sold for a loss. The Gamepad added to the expense.

this just means that its specs will match the current consoles or slightly lower. Those expecting it to be significantly more powerful than the PS4 will be in for a surprise

this just means that its specs will match the current consoles or slightly lower. Those expecting it to be significantly more powerful than the PS4 will be in for a surprise

Not necessarily. Trying to sell a console not at a loss doesn't equate to cheap hardware. Not that I am expecting it, but one does not have to lead into the other.

For others catching up(Besides the ones in the know above) Nintendo made comments today.

Nintendo Comments On Not Selling NX At A Loss And The Need Of A Solid Software Lineup . May 2, 2016 . 4:30am

Following the information we got from Nintendo’s latest financial briefing we got last week, the company has provided us with more from their investor briefing Q&A with president Tatsumi Kimishima.

106 comments Read >

Following the information we got from Nintendo’s latest financial briefing we got last week, the company has provided us with more from their investor briefing Q&A with president Tatsumi Kimishima.

Here are some key Q&As about the NX and the Nintendo president’s take on software lineup, and more:
For the fiscal year ending March 2017, projected sales of Wii U hardware is set quite low, due in part to the timing of the launch of NX (development code name for the new-concept dedicated video game system currently under development). During this planning stage, what was the thinking about the effect on the Nintendo 3DS system?
Tatsumi Kimishima (President):By setting the projected sales of Wii U hardware for the fiscal year to 800,000 units, we do not see that there would be any negative effect on the Nintendo 3DS business. We have major titles for Nintendo 3DS for the fiscal year ending March 2017, as I mentioned in the presentation, and there is a solid lineup of titles. That should greatly contribute to the sale of both the hardware and the software. The positive aspect of lowering the projected sales of Wii U hardware to 800,000 units is that it allows us to focus on the Nintendo 3DS system.

I understand that details of NX will not be announced today. However, I would like to ask about the effect of NX in terms of performance in the fiscal year ending in March 2017. There were times in the past when sale of hardware at launch suffered due to the lack of a sufficient number of titles. Can you promise that the launch of NX will be accompanied by a solid lineup of games? We also have the case of Wii U hardware, which was sold at a loss at launch. I would like to know what you are thinking about the cost of NX in terms of analyzing performance for the fiscal year in which NX is launched.
We will introduce NX concepts and details at another time, so I will restrict my answer to the question asked. You are correct about needing a solid lineup of software. One of the reasons for choosing the launch timing that we did is so that the software lineup will be ready in time for the hardware launch. Not only at launch, but we also need to be able to continuously release titles after launch. We are planning for this to be a platform that consumers can enjoy for a long time.

Next, about how we are looking at cost, we are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss. When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX.

Though enriching software has been given as a reason for launching NX in March, 2017, when thinking about how long it takes to develop software, there would not be any real objections to missing the year-end sales. I recall that at a past Corporate Management Policy Briefing, when the Nintendo GameCube launch was set for September, former President Yamauchi said that it is extremely important not to miss the year-end sales, and I think that former President Iwata also said that it was a big problem when the Nintendo 3DS launched in February and missed the Christmas sales. Since you took over, Mr. Kimishima, both Miitomo and now NX will miss the year-end, which gives the impression that Nintendo’s way of thinking about the future has changed quite a bit. So why will NX launch in March? Has Nintendo’s approach changed?
There has been no change in our way of thinking about launch times. We believe that when launching hardware, the amount of quality software for consumers to play that is available at launch is important, and that we ought to determine our launch dates based on this. The fact that consumers spend more money in the holiday season may be a big factor in why launching then is a good way to start. However, our hardware and software business structure does not end in that year. We want consumers to continue to play this game system for many years, so we believe that in the beginning it is most important to make sure that everything is in order at launch. In that sense, our approach is that we should wait until we can provide a fully realized experience rather than rushing to launch in the holiday season, and this approach has not changed.

Please tell us about your approach to on-hand cash management. I recall that before the Wii U launch, former President Iwata could not exactly indicate how much of funds is considered as surplus funds for Nintendo. After that, a lot of new business strategies were disclosed, and I would like to know how the need to have funds on-hand is being considered as the future of the company is becoming more visible in a lot of areas, including NX.
Concerning our thoughts about the need for funds, as we get the business running smoothly and increase cash inflows, I think that we need to think very seriously about whether we are building on that progress.

That is our approach to money balance. Right now we are proceeding with many projects that make use of our IP, and in those plans there are several projects that will require funds, so we want to use funds for those purposes first. The launch of NX is not the only project which requires funds, and we want to prioritize using it on projects that make use of our IP.

While Wii U sales in the fiscal year ending March 2017 are predicted to be very weak, with NX sales and profit contributions included, looking at these predictions, the numbers look as if you are fairly confident in the NX and ready to take off running. Do you think you can cover the decline of the Wii U with the new NX?
We are predicting about 800,000 Wii U hardware sales in the fiscal year ending March 2017, which is a decrease of about 2.4 million units compared to the previous year. NX and smart device business will be essential to cover this gap, but we also expect download content business to play a role. However, we are planning with the expectation that NX sales will compensate for much of the impact on sales from reduced Wii U hardware sales.

[Image courtesy CNN.]

Read more stories about Nintendo & Nintendo NX on Siliconera.
source: Siliconera

thats actual an old rumor. wouldnt be too shocking

Not really sure on the tech, but I have to imagine that this wouldn't be favored by third parties, right?

Would it add weight to the hybrid rumor?
potentially but I can just as easily see Nintendo using this for their home console with or without a handheld component

Not really sure on the tech, but I have to imagine that this wouldn't be favored by third parties, right?
Probably not. The report says they are prototyping chips up to 32gb. That would help them save money on potentially pricy flash storage, but it would be a stupid and frustrating move if they did that. If they used cards, they need to match the capacity that the other consoles have with their discs and thats 50gb, so 64gb should be what they are aiming for. Game's are only getting larger.

How'd you come up with EA isn't making games for NX? Nowhere in the article does it say that.

Wow this could be a Dreamcast situation... :dry:

Hope not.

EA said they'd make games for NX if it makes sense. What they mean is if Nintendo doesn't have an overly wacky control scheme and has hardware sales to make their software investment worthwhile they'll almost certainly put games on the NX. They did not flat out say no.

How'd you come up with EA isn't making games for NX? Nowhere in the article does it say that.

When the Nintendo NX comes to market, Soderlund said, EA will be there—"if it makes sense."
The implication there is that they arent currently making anything for it. They are taking a wait and see approach with the console, likely to see if it takes off before committing to it.

EA said they'd make games for NX if it makes sense. What they mean is if Nintendo doesn't have an overly wacky control scheme and has hardware sales to make their software investment worthwhile they'll almost certainly put games on the NX. They did not flat out say no.

The console is out in less than a year. EA and all devs that are potentially making games for it, know what the control scheme and if any gimmicks are involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"