Obi Wan Kenobi General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Can anyone explain to me please why we are getting a Obi-Wan / Vader meet up in this when it will re-write 'lore' in the original films from the prequel films, in the sense, they are not supposed to meet since the limb-chopping until when we see them 'fight' in New Hope, that's the whole point, of their battle in ANH, Episode 4, that the dialogue tells you this. I don't get why they are ret-conning one of the most important parts of the entire mythology, beyond, 'oh it's cool'.

Money. Darth Vader = money.

Technically, this can be done without 'retconning' in the strictest sense because the references in the original film are vague enough. Nothing in the films explicitly says the pair never met again. And to be honest the connective tissue between 3 and 4 is a bit shoddy anyway. Arguably another meeting might strengthen continuity. But it's being done for money.

Can anyone explain to me please why we are getting a Obi-Wan / Vader meet up in this when it will re-write 'lore' in the original films from the prequel films, in the sense, they are not supposed to meet since the limb-chopping until when we see them 'fight' in New Hope, that's the whole point, of their battle in ANH, Episode 4, that the dialogue tells you this. I don't get why they are ret-conning one of the most important parts of the entire mythology, beyond, 'oh it's cool'.

That can be interpreted any number of ways. Vader feels confident he has surpassed Obi in power since their last encounter. That doesn't tell us how many times they crossed paths or how long its been since they fought.

I do think they are going to have to be very creative if Vader and Kenobi do meet again here, but we'll see.

Fans have basically been demanding a new Obi-Wan Kenobi story with Ewan McGregor for years, so be careful what you wish for.

I really fear this encounter. I always thought they haven’t met before ANH (since Vader was saved by Palpatine)

That can be interpreted any number of ways. Vader feels confident he has surpassed Obi in power since their last encounter. That doesn't tell us how many times they crossed paths or how long its been since they fought.

Yeah, but that just takes the power out of it. For Obi-Wan to stop when he sees Vader, it’s like “Holy crap, what have you become! You’re in a metal suit!” kind of reaction. The last time he saw him was burning up in lava.

Sure, you can retcon it, but it just FEELS so inauthentic.

I mean for that line to work for this, Obi-Wan will have to kick Vader’s butt and Vader accepts he’s still a learner during the period of this? He was already mad they didn’t make him a master in Episode III.

Last edited:

You're right. When Vader mentions not sensing Obi-Wan since a certain point of time and then mentions the last time they met Obi-Wan was the "master", what he was referring to was some random battle after his lava bath. That makes the most sense.

Jesus, what a terrible take. One that just seems to not understand story or build. Takes the sting right out of encounter that is built towards the moment Obi-Wan speaks about Anakin/Vader to Luke.

Well it’s not like we should be happy, because we’re getting this and not allowed *****ing around.
This is getting made, because we‘re paying every month or every year. So *****ing around, because we didn’t got footage is allowed
Don't pay then? I mean all you seem to do is complain about Disney+. I don't understand why you have it.

Because Disney is garbage at handling the Star Wars IPO. Its why they brought back palpatine, its why they did ANOTHER death star, it's why they tried to sell cheap thrill of vader in Rogue One.

To me Star Wars since Disney bought them is like Spider-Man in Sony's hands. Substitute Vader for Venom.

I said this on the last page, but I'm holding out hope that it's all a big red herring and it turns out to be some Force vision experienced by either Obi-Wan or Vader (or both). Such visions aren't something that's uncommon in the Skywalker family. Vader could have a vision of his rematch with Obi-Wan but with creative liberties being taken so that it's not just a verbatim vision of the exact ANH duel. Chalk it up to the dark side clouding Anakin's future premonitions or something. That way it doesn't have any real bearing on the established continuity and we can have our cake and eat it too in regards to seeing a more intricately choreographed fight with Vader vs. Obi-Wan McGregor.

Posting my thoughts here given the developments on the BoBF.

I was thinking about how Fett's time with that clan of Tuskens did a lot to put meat on the bones of the general outline we as fans have of the Sand People. Sure, it's not totally groundbreaking stuff but we have more details on who they are, how they live and what they believe in. Boba puts some practical questions about them to bed along with raising some new ones all while bringing texture to a long standing in universe SW demographic. They have filled in this group to a point they are far less "other" when Boba leaves them to go visit the Pykkes.

So why talk about that here?

If memory serves Vader makes a yearly pilgrimage to the world of his birth to slaughter Sand People. The irony being that he was regularly within a few hours flight time from wherever both Obi and Luke were.

Let's take away some of that irony. Say... Obi-Wan has kept a low profile but not low enough. Say he, the "wizard" of the Dune Sea, is petitioned by representatives of the Tusken Clans to battle this dark and ominous threat that comes to their people inflicting terrible losses and heartbreak. Obi-Wan eventually gives in, figuring that whatever it is it's NOT something that can challenge his veteran Jedi abilities. He may not even bring his light saber.

And then this dark force is revealed to be Vader.

I could see this humanizing of the Tuskens as being part of wider decisions in the SW universe from the Lucas brain trust. Also, the old idea of Vader returning to wreak vengeance against the Tuskens is a very clean and easy way to get a meeting between master and student again.

I wonder if Qui-Gon Jinn shows up? We should see him since it was mentioned that part of Obi-wan's training would include learning how to talk to him.

I wonder if Qui-Gon Jinn shows up? We should see him since it was mentioned that part of Obi-wan's training would include learning how to talk to him.
I'd be disappointed if he didn't. Obi-Wan communicating with Qui-Gon's Force ghost (or even just his voice) should be an important element in the show.

So to get this straight:

giphy.gif

May(be) we’ll get to see a teaser for Super Bowl. It’s probably the most anticipated Star Wars series this year (mine is Andor)

Yep! Got a feeling that the Obi Wan series will premiere on May the 4th

The new Obi Wan comic also comes out in May so it makes sense to have the series premiere coincide with the release of the comic series

Countdown is on! :wowe:

So 2 weeks off after the final of Moon Knight?
Disney is really stretching the content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"