Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

Ewan McGregor Teases ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Series Following Emmy Win – Deadline

Following his Emmy win on Sunday for Netflix’s Halston, Ewan McGregorteased the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series that he’s made for Disney+, suggesting it’s one that you won’t want to miss.

“We finished shooting our series, and it was really, really good fun. I really enjoyed working with [director/executive producer] Deborah Chow, and I think it will not disappoint,” he said backstage. “The new technology that we employed doing it is cool, and it was a different experience than making the original three films that I did.

****ing hate it, personally.

Yeah, there's wiggle-room with the ANH dialogue in the sense it doesn't explicitly say they haven't seen one another since Mustafar, but it's still moronic. Just have Obi-Wan put two-and-two together once he's heard about some cybernetic top Imperical enforcer out there striking fear into everyone, that's where he gets the "more machine than man" line.

They don't have to friggin' see each other face-to-face and fight.

Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine, while I don't like it, at least makes some sense. He'd briefly leave Luke if he absolutely had to, if Leia was in danger. But it absolutely doesn't have to be Vader. You can get away with an Inquisitor so long as they don't make it out of the encounter with Obi-Wan breathing to report back to Vader, but this whole Obi/suited-Vader confrontation just reeks of ****ty fan-service. "Hey, the ANH fight was lame because it was 1977 and it was old-man Guiness, let's CG this up and get some epic anime fightin' broseph!"

Yeah. I love Vader as much as anybody, but narratively I struggle to see the true benefit in doing this beyond fan service.

Make new villains. That's the only way you're going to grow the franchise.

Last edited:
The description of what Kenobi is wearing makes it sound like something in Obi-Wan's head. Which it better be.

Don't know why it would be. His robes are described as "tattered", you'd sort of figure if it's a dream/hallucination/vision his mind wouldn't include something like that. It's a decade post-RotS, who knows, maybe he's just been living a little more rough at first than what we see in ANH with his own digs. Could be a wandering-samurai type of thing in that first decade, more genuinely-homeless-dude.

Sounds like the confrontation might be on Jedha too, at least the description sounds a little that way. And if the report's to be believed it's not on Tatooine, so that'd rule that out for the sand and rocks.

I have to be fair though, someone did bring up a good point in another discussion on it. You can color some of that dialogue exchange some more in ANH with this I guess. The line is "when I left" not "when we last saw each other", that could imply more when he fell, when he left the Order he was the learner. Along with Vader being surprised to see him alive - why would there be any doubt after the way Mustafar went down? Guy's old by the OT, but not generally death-bed age. Maybe this duel could end with things a little more up-in-the-air, a draw, Obi-Wan in a real precarious state where it's 50/50 whether he made it out with a pulse.

Also the part later in the OT with "Obi-Wan once thought as you do." He certainly doesn't hold onto the there's-a-possibility-of-turning-Anakin-back stuff for long in RotS, it's more righteous justified outrage than trying to appeal to his better nature. That's all completely justified, of course - the dude's just massacred a bunch of kids and choked out his wife. But I dunno, maybe here it's more...a decade's past, tempers have...not cooled, but Obi's been stewing on things for years and decides to make a calmer less-accusatory appeal to try to reach him, empathize or whatever. Vader obvious rebuffing it all in a big way and they come to draw sabers (heh, weird the site autocorrects 'sabers' to that spelling and with a capital). Might color that OT dialogue some more, have it make more sense.

Just trying to be fair about it all here, not do the usual lame fan-outrage thing. Chow's great, I have to kind of figure she and her team have considered these types of things, not going to write it off entirely before we see it.

A little curious as to why Leia would even be in danger here though. Obviously Sidious and Vader are clueless as to the whole daughter thing, and given this is only 10 years post-RotS, is Bail even much of a problem yet? The Senate's still around until right before ANH, the Rebellion isn't much of a thing until around Rebels or slightly before (after this in the timeline). Guess Bail would have been quietly sowing some seeds of resistance, but it can't be much of a threat yet - and assumedly given he probably only dies when Alderaan goes boom, if the Empire's clued-in on his activities this early why is he still free a decade later? Seems a little odd that you'd go after his kid, when it's not even in that civil war phase yet, the rebellion's just a twinkle in some dissenter's eyes they haven't really acted on yet.

Last edited:
I kind of want Obi-Wan just refer to him as Darth in a mocking way at some point. Not Anakin or Vader. I always thought that was funny in ANH.

The description of what Kenobi is wearing makes it sound like something in Obi-Wan's head. Which it better be.
I definitely think it is. It's essentially gonna be badass fan service without destroying lore haha.

Take it with a grain of salt, but this would be awesome! Plus, if Book of Boba Fett has 8 episodes like The Mandalorian, it would be finished on February 16, giving a bit less than a 3 month gap.

'It's F-kin' Obi-Wan!': Kumail Nanjiani Previews Disney+'s 'Kenobi'

How did your role in Obi-Wan Kenobi come about?
My agents called me and it was the whole group of them that never call you. And I was like, “OK, this is either amazing news or really awful news.” And they’re like, “They want you to play a part in Obi-Wan, and apparently it’s substantial.” So then I talked to [director Deborah Chow] and we had a great conversation. And the character sounded awesome — I was so excited about this character. We haven’t seen this exact thing in Star Wars yet. This is like a new version of a type of Star Wars character we’ve seen before. And she was trying to sell me on it. And I was like, “I was gonna do it before the conversation!” It was kind of perfect. Right after quarantine I got to do a job, in town, and it was in Star Wars. It was just the most joyful first job back possible. I didn’t know how I could beat the experience I’ve had, which is a Marvel movie with Chloé Zhao, who is amazing, and maybe the greatest cast ever assembled, and then have Obi-Wan as the next thing, with another really fantastic cast. Ewan McGregor! Really? I don’t know where I go from there. [Laughs.] And so I decided to walk into the middle of the woods.

What was it like on set?
I had this moment. I’d heard Ewan [McGregor] was supernice. And then we got to know each other a little bit, just hanging out and talking. Then there was this weird moment where I’m talking to Ewan and they yell “Action,” and he’d started talking to me, and I was like, “Oh, I’m talking to Obi-Wan right now. This is not Ewan McGregor. This is Obi-Wan Kenobi that I’m talking to.” My character is supposed to be a little bit intimidated by him, and I was a little bit intimidated. You know, it’s ****ing Obi-Wan, what are you gonna do?

The show is shot on the Volume, which is that remarkable virtual set also used on The Mandalorian, where the CGI is happening all around you in real time. How did that affect things for you?
You really feel like you’re there. The first scene we shot, it was Star Wars outside the windows, with aliens walking around and ships flying by and all this stuff, but the rest of it just looked like a warehouse. So I did a couple of takes and then Ewan was like, “You know, none of this is real.” I knew the windows weren’t real, but the walls weren’t either! I looked and I was like, “Wow, the walls are projected.” The only thing that was real in the whole room was the desk I was sitting at. It was wild. It was really, really exciting. I love shooting like that, because you don’t have to pretend that you’re on a spaceship flying through space. It really feels like you’re in a spaceship flying through space. And it’s amazing to be inside the world of Star Wars, the world that I’ve been watching since I was born. I’ve been a fan as long as I can remember. In fact, I just went to Disneyland, and I went to the Star Wars world, and I was like, “Oh, this kinda feels like being at work.”

this whole Obi/suited-Vader confrontation just reeks of ****ty fan-service. "Hey, the ANH fight was lame because it was 1977 and it was old-man Guiness, let's CG this up and get some epic anime fightin' broseph!"

Not to mention that we already have SC 38:

Always hated that too, it's so "dudebrah extreeeeeeme".

The movie was 1977, you just look at it through that lens and the fight's fine.

It lacks the nuance of a good ol' fashioned samurai duel.

Always hated that too, it's so "dudebrah extreeeeeeme".

I think it does an excellent job of conveying the true power of Vader and Obi-Wan, a Sith Lord and Jedi Master at the height of their abilities. In particular, you get a real sense of Vader's immense brute strength and violence.

Like it or not, they are canonically meant to be that powerful, so what's wrong with portraying that in LA?

The movie was 1977, you just look at it through that lens and the fight's fine.

I don't think anyone (least of all the folks behind SC 38 Reimagined) is trashing on the original scene for the technological limitations they were working with in 1977. They did the best with what was available at the time and they deserve full marks for that.

But you're not seriously suggesting that a director shooting that scene today would do it in the exact same way, are you?

Last edited:
Of course they wouldn't. They'd do some CG-fest "I grew up with Dragon Ball Z" lameness without half the heart or effective simplicity of the fight George directed.

Always felt in that scene like Obi-Wan's basically at peace with the idea this is his demise anyway, ready to join the ethereal force and trust in Luke to fulfill his destiny. Seems to me he basically wasn't going 100% at Vader (even in his older state) anyway. He'd learned Qui-Gon's hippie spiritual shenanigans by then, it was his time. Mock Anakin for a little bit, pull off a crazy force-feat in death and mess with Anakin's head in the aftermath, seemed to be the idea.

But sure, we don't have the two of them tearing apart hallways or Vader being set on fire or force-pushing each other left right and center. What a bore.

On a related note, that Obi/Maul duel in Rebels is the best saber scene we've had in forever for what it's worth. That's as basic as it gets, and how an assured maste fighter like Guinness-Obi would be fighting anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"