Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

The original trilogy is a guaranteed comfort zone money maker. Even the most non Star Wars-y person knows Darth Vader and R2-D2. You try veering off into the Old Republic or the EU and you run a big risk. Now if they wanna do an Old Republic tv series or whatever that would probably turn into a decent cult hit but movies are "now now now."

We are already getting a Chewie prequel. Its the Han Solo movie.

And I wouldnt call it laziness. Its a sensible business decision. There has been a demand from the fanbase for an Obi-Wan film. IDK how high that demand actually is but its been something thats been repeatedly asked about by fans, bloggers, and interviewers. Ewan's Obi-wan is liked, and Ewan has repeatedly expressed his desire to return. It makes financial sense that theyd want to do an Obi-Wan film.

Also, lets keep things in perspective. This will be the third anthology film set in the OT era. It will be Disney's 6th star wars film. By the time we get to 2020 we will have 3 films set in the Republic era, 6 films set in the Imperial Era and 3 in the First Order era. We will have 6 films featuring Leia (She was cameo in one of those.), 5 or 6 films featuring Luke, and 5 films featuring Han. This will be the 7th film featuring Obi-Wan and 2 of those films he was little more than a cameo. All those films introduce new characters, new places, new ideas.

This is very similar to how Disney and Marvel have handled the MCU. They produce films all set close to the same era that all link closely together. With a core set of characters that are constant throughout the films and new characters and elements are introduced throughout those films. The only films thats really branched out and did something really different is the two GOTG films, but even they link back to the rest of the films. And all those films are working together towards a goal. Theyve mentioned they might try something really different with Phase 4 after Avengers 4.

So why is it bad when Disney and Lucasfilm do pretty much the same with the star wars franchise? Why do people automatically ***** about the idea of a film set in the Imperial era? Why is there this dumb demand put on Lucasfilm that they do something completely out of left field right away?

The difference is the MCU is building and furthering their existing story, they aren't just filling in the gaps in their timeline (which is what SW has done with their spinoffs so far) and not branching out into new territory. I'd rather see a spinoff set in the sequel trilogy era or afterwards than anything set in the OT era. And it feels weird for me to say that, because I do want to see an Obi-Wan film, but the thing is I already know Obi-Wan's beginning and end. I just wish Lucasfilm would explore completely new characters and situations before diving back into the OT era.

The original trilogy is a guaranteed comfort zone money maker. Even the most non Star Wars-y person knows Darth Vader and R2-D2. You try veering off into the Old Republic or the EU and you run a big risk. Now if they wanna do an Old Republic tv series or whatever that would probably turn into a decent cult hit but movies are "now now now."

You make an undeniably fantastic point terry78. I can totally understand Disney from a business standpoint wanting to stick with certain characters and eras.

I like comfort food too, but too much comfort food can also be bad for you y'know.

I'd just like to see a newer era explored before or if they are characters we know, characters who are worth exploring more. We spent a whole trilogy with Obi-Wan plus all the Clone Wars animation.

Just researched the director and discovered that he's pretty talentless, he seems to specialize in Oscar-bait, and he made one of my least favorite movies ever. Unless they go with a different director, I guess there's not much to get excited about after all.

Isn't Stephen Daldry the director? You must be researching wrong, he made The Hours.

Strange enough I've heard of all his films, but never actually watched any of them.

I do agree with some people that i don't want these stand alones to be: "How did _____ get ______" or "How did _____ connect to _____" or "How was ______ when he was young"

But we'll see

MacGregor's a cooler Kenobi that Guiness ever was (not taking anything away from Sir Alec, but Ewan was really born to play the role).

This is huge news. Hopefully they can slot Boba Fett in the story some how.

Well, let's not say things we can't take back.

lmao

I just wish Lucasfilm would explore completely new characters and situations before diving back into the OT era.

Yeah, they should make a new film that's set years after the OT with brand new characters. Maybe have some of the old guard back in a 'passing the torch' capacity' but they can be killed off. They could call it 'Episode VII' with a proper title like 'Awakening of the Force' or something. I dunno.

How will an spinoff of Obi Wan even work, he mostly spends between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hype on Tatooine taking care of Luke and chasing away Sand People. Most of the movie will probably be an live action adaptation of Star Wars Rebels with Obi Wan meeting Ezra and battling against Darth Maul.

I'd make it like that episode of the Clone Wars were they end up on the other side of the Galaxy on that weird Force planet where they met 'The Ones'. Maybe Obi-Wan goes there to try to gain insight in bringing Anakin back to the light. That way you can explore some of the Force stuff (ghosts and disappearing corpses) and remove the need to have Darth Vader, Imperials etc show up.

I can't say I was ever excited for the Han spinoff but I'm even less excited for this"announcement". Who cares what he did while exiled on Tattooine? I've seen enough of him in all of the movies and animated series's and I like him as-is.

I really wish they would've used this movie spot on something else. What are people so excited for him to do in this movie anyway?

Excited about this. There is 30 years between ROTS and ANH to explore, who's to say he was on Tatooine the whole time? Or that people didn't come hunting for him?

There is plenty they could do.

This is exciting news.

It'll be great to see Ewan McGregor playing an older Obi-Wan. Although I kind of like the mystery of Obi-Wan just disappearing and becoming a hermit on Tatooine while he watched over Luke, only coming back into the story when he needed to.

And that's the thing. The mystery itself may be gone now. I'm reminded of when Patton Oswalt did a bit on the prequels and it all culminated in 'I don't need to see where the stuff I love comes from!' Then, for example, he said 'Hey, you love Angelina Jolie? Well, here's Jon Voight's ********!'

I'm somewhat surprised there's been no Darth Vader solo film, in that regard.

The prequels were his films. Now Lucas himself has said Yoda is off limits in regards to any backstory, where he comes from, etc. So of course it'll happen down the line.

And that's the thing. The mystery itself may be gone now. I'm reminded of when Patton Oswalt did a bit on the prequels and it all culminated in 'I don't need to see where the stuff I love comes from!' Then, for example, he said 'Hey, you love Angelina Jolie? Well, here's Jon Voight's ********!'

I'm somewhat surprised there's been no Darth Vader solo film, in that regard.

I actually think a Vader movie would be great, show him adjusting to his new body/life and hunting down the last remnants of the Jedi.

The prequels were his films. Now Lucas himself has said Yoda is off limits in regards to any backstory, where he comes from, etc. So of course it'll happen down the line.

I hope not. That's one mystery that I think should be left alone.

Yeah, agreed. Don't want to see that.

It took a few movies before Marvel was willing to do Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, or Doctor Strange. It's probably going to be awhile before we get away from the safer bets.

I can't say I was ever excited for the Han spinoff but I'm even less excited for this"announcement". Who cares what he did while exiled on Tattooine? I've seen enough of him in all of the movies and animated series's and I like him as-is.

I really wish they would've used this movie spot on something else. What are people so excited for him to do in this movie anyway?

After writing this yesterday, I looked at my Commander Cody helmet earlier and thought to myself, it'd be pretty cool if Cody and the 212th were the main antagonists in this film ordered to hunt down Kenobi judging by how adamant he was to find his body after Order 66.

This would give Cody and the Clones some more characterization as to why Order 66 was as easy as a flick of a switch for them. Meanwhile, they wouldn't have to worry about shoe-horning a brand new villain or anything and it would totally make sense.

It took a few movies before Marvel was willing to do Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, or Doctor Strange. It's probably going to be awhile before we get away from the safer bets.

To be fair I wouldn't have said Rogue One was a safe bet. And that was the first spin off.

If it's a redemption story then I'd be open to it, you know a movie about a man struggling with his faith. His friend turns out to be Hitler, the galaxy is in shambles, and he has to live out his days in the sticks because he's numero uno on the Empire's most wanted list. Not exactly the life he had envisioned for himself. Akin to Logan perhaps to compare it to another film of its kind. It will also be refreshing to follow an older protagonist in Star Wars. An antidote to Hollywood's ageism too.

It would be ideal to keep him away from Vader, for obvious reasons, but maybe they could have a brief scene where Vader arrives at Jabba's palace to question him about Ben's presence on Tatooine.

It wouldn't make sense for Darth Vader to detect Kenobi's presence on Tatooine.

A Logan type story for Kenobi on Tatooine just sounds weird.

At this point in the story Kenobi is still a more powerful fighter than Vader and could probably shield himself via Jedi powers however he wanted. By the time they fight in A New Hope, I kinda suspect he threw that fight, but purists will argue about it.

If he's that powerful, why couldn't he shield himself from Vader on the Death Star?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"