Obscure Gaming: Shin Megami Tensei Persona (series)

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by TheLastBlade, Jul 4, 2013.

1. TheLastBlade Registered

Have you ever played JRPGs before? Then you at least heard of the Persona series. Yes, many fans of the genre claim it to be one of the greatest examples for RPGs, period. What do I think of it? Well, this may shock you... But I DESPISE it.

I can get that the series has some sort of appeal, but I can never get into said series... I dunno... It really bothers me a lot.

For starters, both the first and second games aged really horribly..... Especially the first. First person dungeon crawling, bad battle system, and random encounters completely ruins the game. The second is basically a third person view of persona 1.

For the modern ones, comes 3 and 4. And let me tell you I really, really, really, really, REALLY HATE PERSONA 3. It's an early version of Final Fantasy XIII (but not completely). Bad battle system, no guard, awful fusion spells, terrible story, terrible music, terrible characters, linear and boring dungeon, and VERY bad A.I. Surprisingly, I enjoyed 4 (though, I may need to replay it, but I'll just tell you all my thoughts beforehand). The god awful battle system from three is fixed, no more fusion spells, the characters isn't 3 emo, music is pretty good, the dungeon tries to add variety, and is overall more polished..... However, what flaws this game has comes from it's predecessor. If your main character dies, it's game over.... This trend started since 3 and is actually affecting most other RPGs. It doesn't matter if your allies are alive, you die and you start all over. So much for team work.... The dungeons... The cosmetically mask the dungeons with colors and hoped to pass it off as "game design..." Well, it backfired completely. It's just going on a pathways until you find the stairs. Another thing that drags this game down is that it's more visual novel than actual RPG. The worst thing in the game is that there's mandatory High School segments that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. It might've been ok if it was sidequests, but the game forces the player to deal with these situations.

So those are my experiences with the series. What is your experience and what do you think of the series as a whole?

2. Soapy Registered

I like the Persona series and can't wait for Persona 5.

I'm also interested to try SMTIV.

3. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Oh dear my.

Well, I my introduction to the series actually wasn't Persona, but Digital Devil Saga. I really liked both of those games (the second wasn't as good, and I didn't like the direction it took, but it was still good). The style of the whole SMT is good to me. It keeps that iconic anime style, but it has a certain distinction to it, too. It creates a great alternative to the usual JRPG offering.

As far as Persona goes, I've not played the original. I've played Person 2 (the second part) on PS1, and I honestly didn't think it seemed anymore dated than most PS1 RPGs. I enjoyed both 3 & 4 on both PS2, but they were rather hard, which kind of made me fall into grinding to get where I needed. Not a huge fan of that, but I found the craft of both pretty impressive.

I never played Nocturne, actually have a copy watched on my eBay list that I'm thinking of getting. If SMTIV were on a system I have, I'd probably get that, too.

4. Soapy Registered

What's up with Digital Devil Saga?

5. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

It's good. Been quite awhile, but it's got a solid battle system. Not quite as hard as the mainline SMT games (particularly III and IV), but still fairly tough. The story is pretty great, but the first game does end on a cliffhanger, and the direction the second one takes is entirely different.

6. Soapy Registered

Cool. Any other games you would compare it to?

7. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Hm, nothing really comes to mind outside the other SMT games. It's definitely within that style. It's much more basic, though. There isn't any demon catching/fusing or sim stuff like the mainline series or Persona. I would kind of say it's like, what if there were a SMT Final Fantasy style, I guess.

8. Soapy Registered

Have you played Nocturne since you made that other post?

9. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Yeah, I got both it and SMTIV.

10. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

[​IMG]

Persona 5 coming to PlayStation 4 as well as the PlayStation 3. Release is in 2015...in Japan, at least as far as I know.

[​IMG]

This may be the main character. He is highlighted in the trailer. Pretty good design.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, big city! Better than the rural Persona 4 town already.

Trailer:

http://persona5.jp/

11. Soapy Registered

Nice. Persona 5 was pretty much the only reason I was keeping my PS3 around.

I'll probably still keep it around to play Metal Gear though.

12. zenith16 Registered

yeah there was a thread for Persona 5 put it the PlayStation section this morning and a interview with the creator from Siliconera

13. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Persona series 25th anniversary website launched, teases seven new projects - Gematsu

ペルソナ25周年記念特設サイト (Persona 25th Anniversary Special Site)

#13 MagnarTheGreat, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021