• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Observing the criticisms 1: Peter Parker

TheLastBlade

Sidekick
Reaction score
With the Amazing Spiderman 2 coming next year, I thought it might be a good time to talk about a few criticisms that people talked about. It's not all of them are gonna be a defending thread; as most of the complaints are legit. Today's thread is about the main character: Peter Parker.

1. People state that he's to handsome: Well apparently, people are under the assumption that Peter has always looked like a huge nerd. If they actually read the comics, people would know that he didn't actually stayed that way for too long. Another reason I think people would have a problem with this is that many had nostalgia for Tobey Meguire. I thought Andrew Garfield looked like someone you would actually see in modern days. I've seen guys like him. They're smart and get picked on.

2. He's too much of a jerk: Here's one of the bigger complaints. So apparently, Peter was too much of a jerk standing up for kids being picked on. He's so much of a jerk that he insulted the guy who held a KNIFE and the cop who tried to SHOOT him. When Spiderman makes insults and wisecracks, he's being too mean. He's also a thief that falsely stole the biocables. Apparently, they still live in the 90's and believe that Spiderman's universe is very light and simple. He's also being mean to aunt May, because all he did was not talk to her much. For the biocables, Peter actually bought them. Since there was a montage on days shifting, he got bought it sometime after using skills. On the subject of Peter acting actually like someone in the real world.... What's the problem?

3. His acting: That I can see. He stutters quite a bit and only needed to do it like once.

i see nothing wrong with peter/andrew hes great for the role

Since there is a different writing team for ASM2, I am not worried about their characterization of Peter Parker (Orci & Kurtzman can do no wrong.) One of my few complaints of ASM was that Peter was written as a considerably unlikeable character. That, coupled in with the fact that he was dressed as a walking Hollister model, made it impossible to accept the underdog image the creative team was trying to sell.

Andrew was perfect Peter Parker in ASM. He interpreted Peter character flawless and also give us his interpretation of modern teenager which was perfect to introduce something new, different then in original trilogy. I liked it very much, so i can't say i have any criticism.

Andrew was perfect Peter Parker in ASM. He interpreted Peter character flawless and also give us his interpretation of modern teenager which was perfect to introduce something new, different then in original trilogy. I liked it very much, so i can't say i have any criticism.
this

The most obvious ones are 1. his hair and clothing, 2. his skateboard and 3. him being a jerk/dick/angsty bastard.

None of which I agree with.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the skateboarding thing.
....So he can't have hobbies?

I prefer Sam Raimi's Spider-man but Andrew was perfect in the film, he wasn't unlikeable, he was a realistic teen. As for the clothes, well this is Hollywood, they allways give their actors the best clothes.

The best clothes lol:
andrew-garfield-emma-stone-dating.jpg

andrew-garfield-on-set.jpg

I said that because a previous poster brought the subject up, now that i look at it he's not really dressed that amazingly, so i don't see the problem, he's not dressing badly, but it's not as if he was dressing as a supermodel lol

Since there is a different writing team for ASM2, I am not worried about their characterization of Peter Parker (Orci & Kurtzman can do no wrong.) One of my few complaints of ASM was that Peter was written as a considerably unlikeable character. That, coupled in with the fact that he was dressed as a walking Hollister model, made it impossible to accept the underdog image the creative team was trying to sell.

How does the way you dress determine if you're not underdog or not? Smfh.

When people complain when a character wears nondescript jeans and t shirts, it's time to walk away.

I said that because a previous poster brought the subject up, now that i look at it he's not really dressed that amazingly, so i don't see the problem, he's not dressing badly, but it's not as if he was dressing as a supermodel lol

lol yeah. I didn't mean to call you out. Just calling those people out. His outfit in those pictures probably costed $18 at goodwill. :p

i only align myself with 2, and that's only in terms of his "jokes" as spider-man. i didn't find him to be funny at all during the car thief scene, he came across as a jerk imho. i chalk this up to him being on the hunt for uncle ben's killer, but i am still worried that the aggressive and mean spirited payouts will = spidey humour in tasm2. note: it's all in the delivery for me, not necessarily the lines themselves. on paper, the car thief scene is funny enough.

spider-man should be funny when he quips, that alone is what causes frustration and anger in his enemies; the fact that he appears to not be taking them seriously.

but yeah, one of my biggest concerns, besides the action, in tasm2, is that garfield will continue to come across as a bit of a prick (to me) when wearing the mask

i only align myself with 2, and that's only in terms of his "jokes" as spider-man. i didn't find him to be funny at all during the car thief scene, he came across as a jerk imho. i chalk this up to him being on the hunt for uncle ben's killer, but i am still worried that the aggressive and mean spirited payouts will = spidey humour in tasm2. note: it's all in the delivery for me, not necessarily the lines themselves. on paper, the car thief scene is funny enough.

spider-man should be funny when he quips, that alone is what causes frustration and anger in his enemies; the fact that he appears to not be taking them seriously.

but yeah, one of my biggest concerns, besides the action, in tasm2, is that garfield will continue to come across as a bit of a prick (to me) when wearing the mask
how do you know what the action will be like in tasm 2 or did i read that wrong

Hm okay. What about the action in TASM2 concerns you?

Hm okay. What about the action in TASM2 concerns you?

it's more that i am concerned about the action, not that the action concerns me. the latter implies that i have seen tasm2.

but yeah, i found the action scenes in tasm1 to be underwhelming, webb has yet to prove himself in this regard etc., so i am naturally anxious about tasm2.

i've talked about this a lot before, lol, so i don't want to sound like a broken record.

it's more that i am concerned about the action, not that the action concerns me. the latter implies that i have seen tasm2.

but yeah, i found the action scenes in tasm1 to be underwhelming, webb has yet to prove himself in this regard etc., so i am naturally anxious about tasm2.

i've talked about this a lot before, lol, so i don't want to sound like a broken record.
Yeah my bad. I totally knew what you were saying but I didn't know how to word it right haha. And naw, you don't sound like a broken record to me. I don't remember reading about your concerns with Marc's action. But now that I see, yeah totally natural.

I don't think I'm too worried about that aspect. You never know with anything. Any aspect can be left field in any way you weren't expecting. I guess a first teaser would tell us if his quips come off "jerky" or not, along with everything else. Even then we wouldn't get to see it in the right context. Idk I guess it's really that I trust Webb because I was real satisfied with TASM. Wasn't completely perfect..but I like this universe.

I'm very confident that the action will be great in the sequel. I would argue that while the action in ASM was somewhat limited in quantity and scale, the way it was shot and choreographed was excellent. I thought Marc did an excellent job of showing exactly what was happening at all times. No shaky cam(which can still serve a purpose), and everything flowed very smoothly.

And now with Electro and Rhino, the scale will be much larger, and with Orci and Kurtzman writing, plus the fact that the origin is out of the way, there will be a definite increase in the amount of action.

I'm very confident that the action will be great in the sequel. I would argue that while the action in ASM was somewhat limited in quantity and scale, the way it was shot and choreographed was excellent. I thought Marc did an excellent job of showing exactly what was happening at all times. No shaky cam(which can still serve a purpose), and everything flowed very smoothly.

And now with Electro and Rhino, the scale will be much larger, and with Orci and Kurtzman writing, plus the fact that the origin is out of the way, there will be a definite increase in the amount of action.

i agree with all of this, minus the choreography, and that's only because raimi was a master at staging action, not necessarily because tasm1 had bad choreography in and of itself.

for me, i was underwhelmed by:

- spidey's fighting style. dodging and shooting webs is pretty much all he did. there's so much more this character can do in a fight. see tssm and spider-man 2 for creative and impressive displays of all his abilities, often in tandem of one another.

- the times spider-man did go on the offensive against the lizard, it barely did anything. either spidey was underpowered, or lizard was overpowered, though maybe both, who is to say? sure, lizard should have been stronger than spidey, but that shouldn't prevent the latter from dishing out a few good attacks that actually hurt the lizard, if only momentarily. instead, we got a lizard that was built like a brick s***house and a spider-man that came across as completely and utterly outmatched, in terms of strength.

- the action scenes were pretty brief. the high school fight, which appears to exist in the script solely to have a fight scene, is over in no time. people cite this scene as one of the highlights of the movie, and while i don't think it is a bad scene, i defy anyone to argue that it was better than the high school fight in tssm against venom. note: the latter scene also addresses my previous 2 points, in that it shows how spider-man can still be fighting a superior opponent, yet still gets a bunch of good hits in etc., and also has a lot more variety than just dodging and web subdues.

- the scale of the action was lacking, imo, for a 230 million dollar movie.

- i'd like spider-man to be able to swing in a straight line without the need for overhead anchor points.

this doesn't mean i don't think tasm2 will lift its game considerably, it's just that i can't know for sure that it will, so i remain cautiously optimistic. anxious even.

yep and i know lizard couldnr cause collatrral damage or large scale damage but rhino and electro could do 100 times that and then some plus there is so much potential vizually for both of these villians mostly electro and the action scene potential is staggering so i know the action wont be a problem

i agree with all of this, minus the choreography, and that's only because raimi was a master at staging action, not necessarily because tasm1 had bad choreography in and of itself.

- spidey's fighting style. dodging and shooting webs is pretty much all he did. there's so much more this character can do in a fight. see tssm and spider-man 2 for creative and impressive displays of all his abilities, often in tandem of one another.

- the times spider-man did go on the offensive against the lizard, it barely did anything. either spidey was underpowered, or lizard was overpowered, though maybe both, who is to say? sure, lizard should have been stronger than spidey, but that shouldn't prevent the latter from dishing out a few good attacks that actually hurt the lizard, if only momentarily. instead, we got a lizard that was built like a brick s***house and a spider-man that came across as completely and utterly outmatched, in terms of strength.

- the action scenes were pretty brief. the high school fight, which appears to exist in the script solely to have a fight scene, is over in no time. people cite this scene as one of the highlights of the movie, and while i don't think it is a bad scene, i defy anyone to argue that it was better than the high school fight in tssm against venom. note: the latter scene also addresses my previous 2 points, in that it shows how spider-man can still be fighting a superior opponent, yet still gets a bunch of good hits in etc., and also has a lot more variety than just dodging and web subdues.

- i'd like spider-man to be able to swing in a straight line without the need for overhead anchor points.

this doesn't mean i don't think tasm2 will lift its game considerably, it's just that i can't know for sure that it will, so i remain cautiously optimistic. anxious even.
well that was spideys first villian sooooooo yeah plus they had to focus more on the orgin i know you will be impressed with tasm 2 fight scenes because there is alot of potential with electro because the fight can be on air or land not to mention his electrical powers with he lizard he only has strength nothing special so when it comes to combat lizard would rather throw punches but spidey isnt a hero that will duke it out like that

Bunch of good points that I agree with and also have barely realized.
To be fair, I think it was Lizard who was overpowered, and Spidey who didn't know his strengths/not strong enough yet/noob. But yes, the high school fight is a bit short.

Also, poster above me, brings up a good point in villain range this time around for the sequel. Spidey is up against some pretty different villains he hasn't faced before. Plus, him being a virtuoso already.....we'll see how he fights. I'm very much looking forward to his fighting style, and how he fights like you mentioned above. I wanna see him using a combination of things, punches, kicks, all with airborne poses, bunch of web stuff, etc.

i dont even think the oscorp tower fight scene should even be considered a fight scene and at Nicko-ray yeah cant wait too see what action lyes in store for us excited for electro but not sure how rhino action will play out

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"