Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Earth One was pretty terrible.

I still think if they were going to do a new origin, they should've started from scratch. The weird amalgamation of Year One and the new stuff is going to draw comparisons to the original story. And since Year One is so loved, that spells doom for Zero Year.

I very much liked the Arkham connection with Martha and the Dent twins.

Issue #24 proved to me why Snyder is the best Bat writer in a long time.

bruce standing in front of the media said:
"Hello. A lot of you don't know me. But my name...my name is Bruce Wayne. And I'm here today to ask you something. Just one thing. And it's this...what do you love about this city? I mean, it's an awful place to live. Right? I mean it's terrible. It's dangerous and full of rain. It's a monster. So why? Why do you love it?

The truth is, only you know why you stay here. Why you put up with this place. Or maybe you don't know. I didn't know why I came back until just a while ago.

But standing here today, right now, I can tell you why I love it. I love it because it's a city people come to because they want to become something more than what they are.

I used to come here after school and imagine this great person I might one day become. And what I'm saying is, maybe that's the thing. Maybe that's why. We come here, to Gotham, because it's transformative, this place. We come here with our dreams and the city, it looks at us with it's unblinking stone eye--an eye that sees all our faults, everything we're afraid is true about ourselves--and it says: "Try, I dare you."

And then Gotham stares you down, doesn't it? More than any other city in the world, it fights you, challenges you to get up, to leave, to fall down and die. But you don't. No. Because deep down, you know--you know that if you stand up to the challenge, if you walk through the fire, you will emerge changed. Burned down to that self you knew was there all along, the one you came here to be. The hero.

That's why I came back. Despite what happened to my parents. Because it's a city where we're in it together. Where we're comrades in arms.

But recently, things have changed. I look around and instead of defiance, I see fear in people's eyes. The city has gone from being a place of challenge to one of terror. All because of the red hood gang. A group that tells you to give up and that your lives mean nothing and don't matter.

Not long ago, they tried to kill me. And they almost did. But I'm here today to tell you that I'm not afraid of them. And you shouldn't be, either. This is our challenge. To stop them.

To stop their plan. Because they do have a plan. A terrible plan. And it all begins here...at this building behind me. blah blah blah blah"

citizens of gotham: what is this lunatic even talking about *changes channel*

best writer idk but most pretentious one for sure

it's worse that the actual writing quality is fan-fic tier

Okay, so I read Batman 24, and I'm sorry, but it's probably one of the worst issues snyder wrote (of course I'm only stating my opinion, not a fact). It was boring, and the writing was terrible.

Earth-one was a million times better, it didn't need to use 10 pages long monologues to explain you who the characters were, and it tried some really interesting things with the mythos, like making Martha and Arkham and making the city a maze. There was some real character development, and Johns knows how to use gorgeous art to illustrate his story, rather than telling you what he means with boring and bland dialogues.

So far Zero Year is boring and badly written. Snyder can't help but state the obvious. For instance, Batman telling one of the red hood "my bat needs a head".... Come on, we already understood it was supposed to represent a bat, we don't need the hero to tell us.

And another thought that won't be popular here: Capullo's art is as boring and bland to me, as Snyder's writing. His faces show no emotions, his characters look dumb, especially Bruce and Dick. I liked the city shaping the bat though.

This is one creative team that I really don't like, but I love the character and his mythos too much to let them stop me from reading, but i'll be glad when they'll be gone.

This arc is better than his Joker arc and the second half of Owls, but Snyder is not adding anything that's interesting or really fresh to the Bat Universe, and to me that separates the Great Batman writers from the good ones.

In comparison to Death of the Family, Year Zero has been a breath of fresh air. Is it as good as Court/Night of the Owls? No. But, it is pretty close: Snyder writes the Riddler quite well, and I enjoyed the showdown with the Red Hood in ACE. The Red Hood was quite chilling: one of the reasons I hated the Killing Joke was that it made the Joker's backstory somewhat sympathetic. I prefer Snyder's take where he was an evil b****** from the start.

Night of the Owls was not good either.

In fact, pretty much nothing Snyder has written in the New 52 for Batman has been what I would consider "great".

Zero Year is admittedly better than the past 18 months, but it's definitely a far cry from greatness. However, I hope he continues to improve given Owls/Joker weren't really written as he envisioned.

Léo Ho Tep;27020063 said:
Okay, so I read Batman 24, and I'm sorry, but it's probably one of the worst issues snyder wrote (of course I'm only stating my opinion, not a fact). It was boring, and the writing was terrible.

Earth-one was a million times better, it didn't need to use 10 pages long monologues to explain you who the characters were, and it tried some really interesting things with the mythos, like making Martha and Arkham and making the city a maze. There was some real character development, and Johns knows how to use gorgeous art to illustrate his story, rather than telling you what he means with boring and bland dialogues.

So far Zero Year is boring and badly written. Snyder can't help but state the obvious. For instance, Batman telling one of the red hood "my bat needs a head".... Come on, we already understood it was supposed to represent a bat, we don't need the hero to tell us.

And another thought that won't be popular here: Capullo's art is as boring and bland to me, as Snyder's writing. His faces show no emotions, his characters look dumb, especially Bruce and Dick. I liked the city shaping the bat though.

This is one creative team that I really don't like, but I love the character and his mythos too much to let them stop me from reading, but i'll be glad when they'll be gone.

My thoughts on Zero Year exactly! It's overwritten and over wrought and as a result feels really vapid. The most annoying thing about that monologue about Gotham? It's in a DOUBLE SIZED issue! They have twice the amount of pages to do some interesting things and instead characters just monologue. I also agree about Capullo's art. I think the arc would have been better if Rafael Albaquerque did the main art. The back-ups have thus far looked way better than the main art.

However, unlike you, I'm dropping this book again. Batman's bigger than Scott Snyder. Whether I still read Snyder's Batman or not, when Snyder's off the book, the book will still be there for me to pick up. I simply refuse to spend money on a book wherein one of my favorite characters is being terribly written.

I can't believe you guys hate this that much, I'm loving it. This is the only time since Hush I have collected Batman.

In fact, pretty much nothing Snyder has written in the New 52 for Batman has been what I would consider "great".

Yup. That's why its so weird when people act like his run is the second coming of Frank Miller.

It reminds me of when Paul Dini was on Detective. His Batman comic run was meat and potatoes, but people were treating it like the greatest thing ever, especially around the time of RIP and Heart of Hush.

My thoughts on Zero Year exactly! It's overwritten and over wrought and as a result feels really vapid. The most annoying thing about that monologue about Gotham? It's in a DOUBLE SIZED issue! They have twice the amount of pages to do some interesting things and instead characters just monologue. I also agree about Capullo's art. I think the arc would have been better if Rafael Albaquerque did the main art. The back-ups have thus far looked way better than the main art.

However, unlike you, I'm dropping this book again. Batman's bigger than Scott Snyder. Whether I still read Snyder's Batman or not, when Snyder's off the book, the book will still be there for me to pick up. I simply refuse to spend money on a book wherein one of my favorite characters is being terribly written.

I thought the same thing about albuquerqe while reading the back-up.

I can't believe you guys hate this that much, I'm loving it. This is the only time since Hush I have collected Batman.

I consider Hush to be really mediocre as well. The story is totally childish, and it's basically just an excuse to showcase Jim Lee's art. Considering I think his art to be bland and soulless, It didn't quite do the trick for me. But again, I'm merely stating my opinion, and yours is as valid as mine.

Yup. That's why its so weird when people act like his run is the second coming of Frank Miller.

It reminds me of when Paul Dini was on Detective. His Batman comic run was meat and potatoes, but people were treating it like the greatest thing ever, especially around the time of RIP and Heart of Hush.

It's kinda the same thing, but Dini wasn't babbling about how he was writing "teh definitive story" in 75 interviews. And his characteriation is quite good most of the time.

So far, I'm quite annoyed by Zero Year. not because it's a new origin, but because it's a boring new origin story.

I'm neither here nor there on Year Zero. I'm not loving it or hating it... it's just there. The only thing I really dislike is how long it's taking, and it's only maybe half way through. Other than that, I've enjoyed Snyder's run so far. I loved Court of Owls and Night of Owls. I liked Death of the Family but feel it would have been better if more contained to one arc without becoming an event (showing some of the family's defeats in the title and not in tie-ins).

No, it isn't the most amazing comic ever created, but it's pretty good. And while it took me a bit to get used to Capello's art (despite the fact that I loved in in the 90s X-Force book without knowing who he was), I like it a lot more than any of the back up artists.

I have enjoyed all of the stories in the Batman book.....don't see all the hate for Snyder........Owls........Joker........Zero Year.....all have been great.

They screwed up the ages of the sidekicks, though.

The hate is really fairly self contained here. I don't mean to say that in direction to any poster(s) here, but honestly, most places are singing a lot of praises to the book. Go to other forums, even, and you'll see some hate, sure, but not the overwhelming amount you'll find here in this thread and scattered through what few threads are actually active on the hype comic forums.

I frequent CBR and that's fairly split on Snyder, some love him and some really despise him.

Despite all that, not enough people are praising Layman :csad:

Really? Eh, I don't post there much anymore. Last time I was posting regularly ('bout a year a half) the love outweighed the hate a decent amount from what I saw. Critics still love him like crazy, though, from what I can tell.

Right around "Death of a Family" was when the tide turned on him a bit, right when Morrison's Inc run was gaining some traction with the 666 issue, thereabouts.

I don't hate Snyder. I don't even hate his work. But that's the way of the internet. As soon as you are not praising the cool new guy, you're a hater. I just find his work boring and badly written. I couldn't care less if he gets a lot of praise though. I don't need anybody to agree with me to know what I think. I could be the only one on earth thinking his work is boring and it wouldn't bother me.

i really like snyder's take on batman and i always look forward to reading each month
i enjoyed court/night of owls and i loved "death of the family" Zero year is shaping up to be great aswell :D

I'm glad for you. It's great that people can appreciate the Batman title. While I'm not, I'm lucky that we have Tomasi on Batman and.... and Layman on Tec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"