Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like "Year One" a lot, I only despise what Miller did to Selina Kyle, since he apparently cannot do something else with female characters and, if we are to believe John Byrne, Miller just didn't know that she already HAD an origin and didn't even bother to do some research... He didn't even realize that the idea of Gordon's wife giving birth to Barbara didn't work, yes that's right, the kid wasn't planned as Gordon's son, it was Barbara... And no editor dared to stop him... Really, Denny O'Neil destroyed as much as he has created when it comes to Batman...

I imagine a certain amount of O'Neil's quality when he was main writer on Batman was due to Julie Schwartz' influence. Back then DC actually had editors and standards. The only useful part of Year: One was Flass, Loeb and Falcone. Miller is really good with crime comics, or at least he was. I guess that's why Sin City sort of works for me more than most of his other work besides Daredevil. I don't mind sleazy or noir or exploitation stuff, I just don't like it in superhero comics. I mean, I think EC published the best comics of all time and they were violent and dark and grisly-I just like my superheroes, even Batman, to be not as brutal as Miller's stuff.

Well, "DKR", I like the first two chapters, but the thing is: when it read this stuff for the first time I was very young, back then when it was released, I didn't really get all this political satire and all.

I was okay with DKR until Superman showed up as a government puppet. DKSR makes me sick and the treatment of Dick Grayson in it was disgusting enough that I never want to see Miller write Batman again, so I'm glad All-Star was never finished.

I'm always urged to read Strikes Again just to see how bad it is... But I can never bring myself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"