Official Blackest Night Thread

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Stallion9979, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

didn't Aquaman have his hand back too? why's that?

2. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

We don't know if his hand is back or not. He could still have the water hand under the glove. But if his hand did come back (which would suck, by the way), it wouldn't be so strange; Firestorm exploded when he died and they were all rotting Black Lantern corpses before the rings touched them, so clearly the White Lantern rings could regenerate body parts pretty well.

3. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

ah, thanks.

who gave him that water hand anyway? wasn't it some Lady of the Lake or some sort?
    also, is that story in trade anywhere?

4. Mystirious Registered

He did. Which seems odd as when he showed up in the Blackest Night: Flash mini he looked exactly as he did in Identity Crisis

You have summed up one of the many reasons that I truly do detest Johns comic book work.

Yet Didio keeps patting his head and saying "Good boy!"

I don't see anything wrong with someone enjoying sex personally. Hating a character because they like to sleep with attractive women seems kind of bizzare.

5. Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

Yes it is collected. One of, if not the only, collected Aquaman story from the last series that Arthur was alive in. Its called The Waterbearer and its ****ing amazing.

6. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

It was a pretty solid start to that series. The next story, featuring the Thirst, wasn't quite as good, though. The Sub Diego era is where that series really shines, even though Arthur didn't use the water hand much for that part.

7. Drz Real Hero

Whats so special about the water hand?

8. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Aquaman comes from a very strong magical tradition with Atlantis, but he's never really had much of a personal connection to magic. Additionally, there's a lot of overlap between Aquaman's mythos and the King Arthur legend. The water hand embraced both of those things--magic and the King Arthur legend--in a really cool and very personal way. After Aquaman returns from Atlantis' distant past after "The Obsidian Age," the Lady of the Lake contacts him and tells him that she appoints a hero to fight a great evil periodically. King Arthur was one and now Arthur is her chosen hero for the present. She names him her "Waterbearer," grants him the water hand as a connection to the Secret Sea, a mystical water source, which allows him to stay hydrated even out of water for extended periods, cancel out the effects of magic with a touch, and minor shapeshifting (since the hand is water and Aquaman can control its shape with his mind).

In short, it gave Aquaman some cool, sensible new powers while strengthening his connection to Atlantis' magical past and embracing the King Arthur overtones the character's possessed for ages.

9. BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

I liked that it was so unique and also tied Aquaman uniquely to the world of magic. And, well, he's Aquaman, it's fitting that he should have some sort of water-related powers. Both his wife and his adopted son have more water-related powers than he does. And I think that maybe, at the time, it just seemed so cool because personally I thought it was so vastly preferable to the hook hand. I mean, the hook hand was a...harpoon? Wasn't he supposed to be protecting whales? Why a harpoon? Whales don't like harpoons. :(

...erm, unless you're just asking about its properties? :O Off the top of my head, it could heal people, "cleanse" magic, and transform into various other shapes.

10. Drz Real Hero

[​IMG]

Thats crazy.... I like that.:word:

11. NightBeetle Turbo Justice!!!!

12. Mystirious Registered

I've never been what you would call an Aquaman fan. I don't dislike the character, I have just never gone out of my way to read his title. But that business with the water hand sounds like quite a neat idea. I might have a root around in the back issue bins for those comics

13. Kurosawa Registered

I do like my super-heroes to be super and heroic.

14. Hush Wee Little Puppet Man

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=446091

If anyone is looking for the whole run, I hope this is ok corp.

Guys check it out, its amazing.

#5264 Hush, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  15. Mystirious Registered

Thank you Hush

16. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, that'd be a bit of the shapeshifting. The opposite to that kind of fine-tuned control would be when he expanded the hand and used it to part a giant wave earlier in the series. :up:

17. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Maybe Gleason is going back to Aquaman now that he's off GLC...

18. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

19. Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

I said the exact same thing a few pages back :hehe:

20. Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

So at wondercon Johns said that ALiveman is difrfrent than the others, and someone asked if it was because of his White Ring. It wasn't me lol

21. trustyside-kick The Marine Marvel

Other things not mentioned is that the water hand also enhanced his telepathy (but all of his great feats were pre-waterhand), and he somewhat has a small gift of foresight kinda.

22. Mystirious Registered

Who knew that losing a hand would lead to such wonders?

The most the average guy on the street gets is a plastic prosthetic and maybe a helper monkey

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

He had that stupid hook for like 10 years. He paid his dues. :o

24. Mystirious Registered

He could launch that hook at people. That is taking the cool factor of a pirate and turning it up to eleven

25. Mystirious Registered