Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Aztec, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Well-Known Member

Got a retweet from the illustrious clark gregg today!! What a cool guy!
    RT @guerrillastreet: @clarkgregg R food truck is passing out free avengers stuff including free tix 2movie! #assemble http://pic.twitter.com/rlgYrtGp

2. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Yeah, he does seem like a cool guy. It's probably half the reason people took to Coulson.

3. IronGirl299

IronGirl299 Don't let it control you

OMG tears! :( :( :( You can see how things go--in SI, Tony acts all insensitive ('His first name is Agent!') but when, y 'know, it DOES happen, he's the one who's most affected and I loved the way RDJ played that emotion. Being the one who's known him for longest and considering his friendship with Pepper, it must have hit him real hard.

LOL :D

4. Dr Lee

Dr Lee Insert interesting quote here

I think what
    Sells it for me with Stark is that RDJ generally has Stark constantly talking and moving. But at the table after Phil dies, he's silent and barely moves. kinda seals the deal with how close he and Phil had become.

5. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Yeah, his death had an affect on him (and everyone). I liked the moment later when he confronts Loki saying "there was someone else you p**sed off. His name is Phil". Little side note, he said the present tense 'is' instead of past 'was', which apparently is in keeping with someone who's just lost a friend or loved one (ok, I watch too much Law and Order lol).

Personally I think the LMD theory would just devalue what happened. Though saying that, Fury did seemingly like about the trading cards. Maybe Coulson is in a hospital bed somewhere? I dunno. I admit I just want to see the guy back, but at the same time I don't want it to be as easy a write off as an LMD (though I did float a Captain Marvel idea a page back).

6. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

If they do bring back Coulson as being alive, then I'd like to see whichever hero's movie he shows up in to get seriously peeved at Fury and/or Hill for lying to them.

7. quara33

quara33 Well-Known Member

I agree--I can handle Fury being that manipulative, since it's totally in keeping with the character, but I think the death scene works because Coulson was truly risking his own life--I'm not sure it'd work as well if he was just faking it.

Oddly, I think Tony would actually be more forgiving of that kind of manipulation than Cap, or Black Widow.

Sad as I am to say it, I'm rather doubtful they'll bring Coulson back at all--the character had an amazing arc and served his purpose. They don't need any 'connective tissue' since the Avengers themselves are that tissue. They don't need a proxy for SHIELD since Fury and Hill can fulfill that. I'm not saying Marvel might not be playing the long game, but I don't think they'll bring back a character just to appease the fan base. It would have to serve a plot purpose (Vision, the motivation for Extremis, Captain Mar-Vell), and be pretty well-motivated. :(

8. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Did you hear the rest of what Feige said about Coulson's fate at the very end of that interview?

And that's from the president of Marvel himself, holding out the possibility that Agent Coulson actually survived, and that the LMD theory might have some merit. Now, Feige is the devil*, so we have to take everything he says with an ocean of salt, but at least we have some hope.

* I don't really think Feige is the devil. He's obviously Mephisto.

9. quara33

quara33 Well-Known Member

I TOTALLY misread that as Mistoffelees :[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lk138R6ShE[/YT]

10. xeno000

Fixed your video link. :cwink:

Neat Cats reference. The Mephisto I was thinking of was this one:

[​IMG]

11. xeno000

Clark Gregg interviewed by Chris Farley of the Wall Street Journal

[YT]JpMeEIasx2c[/YT]

12. Polux

Polux Just some nut

Maybe I'm looking to much into it...or maybe it's just to early in the morning for my brain to be awake...but [BLACKOUT]I think it also speak lots of how the whole thing affected us the fans, that we're calling him Phill now instead of Coulson or Son of Coul....

The way I see it...Phill was my friend... :waa::waa::waa:[/BLACKOUT]

And yeah, Feige is the devil...(If only for the LMD comment...)

Polux

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  13. Casius--J

Casius--J Web Master

^^^You might want to edit and put some spoiler tags in there, what you've written is too obvious I think.

But yeah man I was so sad to see Coulson go, I really liked his character but I guess it was a good catalyst to get The Avengers together finally

I would prefer if he stayed dead and not come back via some hokey reasoning, his death had an impact and its better to leave it that way.

14. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

What a tragic name for that reporter guy to have. >_<

15. xeno000

Not really. The Journal's Chris Farley has been around for many years and is probably older than the other one. He used to call himself Christopher John Farley when he was young and pompous.

16. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Who's marriage we got to sacrifice to
    bring agent Coulson back to life :cwink:

17. IronGirl299

Haha I have no idea. Dang all these Faustian Deals!!

18. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

Fury's reaction to
    Coulson's death makes me think it was genuine. And having him come back would lose something. However, if he did come back, it would be AGES after we all had the shock of seeing him 'die' so...

It would be interesting if those people above Fury were the ones who instigated some Coulson LMD and not even Fury knew about it - Twists and turns hehehe

I LOVE that idea from jedm1991 - He was ALWAYS a robot = AWESOME!

I'm not a massive comic book reader so I guess I could have odd ideas, but
    Imagine Coulson's in a coma from Loki's attack, and Shield want to use his brainwaves for Ultron. Hank Pym, being the jealous creator of the robot, installs his own anyway.

19. pyromaniac

pyromaniac Well-Known Member

Actually, to reiterate, apparently it was Marvel's idea, not Whedon's. But it's an easy mistake to make. :D

20. ericadawn16

ericadawn16 Well-Known Member

It would be an interesting end to the Vision rumors although I was kind of hoping for Vision...

21. Polux

Polux Just some nut

Thanx bro, just went over my head for whatever reason....

But yeah, I guess time will tell...

Polux

22. IronGirl299

I was under this crazy, now-inappropriate theory that Coulson was actually Captain America, but by IM2 I was all like, 'Neeehhhh...'

23. xeno000

Well, Phil loved Captain America....in a purely platonic and absolutely innocent way, of course. Creepy admissions of watching Cap sleep notwithstanding. :word:

24. xeno000

Mr. Gregg has been doing a lot of publicity for The Avengers, with many interviews and videos popping up in recent days.

Clark Gregg's Top Five Avengers Movie Scenes: Either this was hilarious or I am easily amused. Or both.

TIME: The Avengers' Clark Gregg on Wrangling Superheroes in Spandex

Clark Gregg Talks Marvel, Whedon and Neo-Noir: An interview with Hey You Guys covering Clark's adventures in avenging, his career as a writer/director and the possibility that he will direct a project for Marvel in the future. Clark's ideas about the tone he would take if he directed a SHIELD movie are very interesting.

25. leke101

leke101 Member

As much i really liked Agent Coulson I thought his death was necessary for two reasons:
    1. It showcased how dangerous Loki is
    2. It gave the Avengers(particularly Tony Stark), a touching reason to put aside their differences to "avenge" their fallen friend.

It would be so, so, so, so, so stupid if Coulson ends up being an LMD. It would be a stupid and unnecessary twist. Coulson died a heroic death and it should remain that way or it will cheapen the whole film.