The Avengers Official Clark Gregg/Agent Coulson Support Thread

coulson needs a tv show. do you think thatd work? he's already on tv right? that show with elaine from seinfeld i think. but whatever.

I certainly think that a S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show featuring Agent Coulson would be a hit. Earlier in this thread we speculated that it could be a super-powered version of The X-Files, with Coulson spearheading S.H.I.E.L.D.'s efforts to find and recruit or neutralize metahumans. There are so many characters in Marvel's 5,000+ library that the show would never run out of interesting problems for Coulson to tackle. Such a show is far more interesting to me than the Jessica Jones vehicle Marvel already has in development.

Apparently, the major TV networks think it would work, too, because Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel's TV division, said in an interview that Marvel has been approached multiple times with requests to develop a show centered around Agent Coulson. Loeb said that Marvel hasn't decided to do that, but I have my fingers crossed that they'll make the jump sooner rather than later.

Of course, if Marvel goes ahead with the long-rumored Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. movie, this becomes moot. (Zoe Saldana would make the perfect Val, BTW.) :word:

Whered this rumor of Coulson being Captain Mar-Vel come from lol

pqz14.jpg

i know people are sick of speculating about it....BUT... doesnt ultimate cap marvel use a gold watch to change into captain marvel?

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/pqz14.jpg
i know people are sick of speculating about it....BUT... doesnt ultimate cap marvel use a gold watch to change into captain marvel?

Yes, he sure does.

Ultimate Captain Marvel
Main article: Mahr Vehl
The Ultimate Marvel miniseries Ultimate Secret introduces a renegade Kree who has been surgically altered to look human and sent to earth by his people to observe its destruction by the entity Gah Lak Tus, but defects to help the humans. He wears a specially designed combat suit that is activated by his wristwatch. The Kree technology in the suit gives Mahr Vehl increased strength and allows him to fly, create energy shields, turn invisible, view different fields of the light spectrum, and fire energy blasts through the "totalkannon" located on his lower arm.

His real name is Pluskommander Geheneris Halason Mahr Vehl. As with the Marvel Universe character of Mar-Vell, he assumes the identity of Dr. Philip Lawson, a scientist working on the space program. He dated the Ultimate version of Carol Danvers. The name 'Captain Marvel' arises as a mispronunciation by General Nick Fury and Carol Danvers. Only the Falcon and Thor have bothered to learn how to pronounce his name correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)#Ultimate_Captain_Marvel

It was already noted in another thread that the Ultimate Mahr-Vehl's father was named Geherenis Kohl HalaSon. Kohl-Son, get it?

http://marvel.com/universe/Mahr_Vehl_(Ultimate)

This might be malarkey, but it's fun malarkey. :woot:

I don't think we'll see Captain Marvel in the movies. In the comics, Ms. Marvel is finally going to be called Captain Marvel, so if we see a Captain Marvel it'll be Carol.

Unless, I've been told wrong.

I don't think we'll see Captain Marvel in the movies. In the comics, Ms. Marvel is finally going to be called Captain Marvel, so if we see a Captain Marvel it'll be Carol.

There's no way Carol Danvers would just magically become a Captain in an alien army she would know nothing about. The road to Ms. Marvel goes squarely through Captain Mar-Vell. Without him, Ms. Marvel doesn't exist, period --- except as Carol. This new version of her as "Captain Marvel" is just a continuation of the storyline instead of a reboot....i.e., it's showing her taking up the mantle of her former mentor.

There's no way Carol Danvers would just magically become a Captain in an alien army she would know nothing about. The road to Ms. Marvel goes squarely through Captain Mar-Vell. Without him, Ms. Marvel doesn't exist, period --- except as Carol. This new version of her as "Captain Marvel" is just a continuation of the storyline instead of a reboot....i.e., it's showing her taking up the mantle of her former mentor.

I agree with cherokeesam. Danvers is being set up to reclaim the mantle of Captain Marvel for a few reasons, some story-dictated and some legal.

Marvel Comics must produce a Captain Marvel monthly comic with a certain frequency in order to continue to assert its copyright claim on the name. Should they fail to do so, DC Comics would have an opening to assert its right to the title for the "Captain Marvel" it acquired from defunct Fawcett Comics years ago (ironically after driving Fawcett out of business with a copyright infringement battle over alleged similarities between Superman and Captain Marvel/Shazam).

Marvel doesn't have to produce a Captain Marvel comic continuously, however, just often enough to keep its ownership of the name alive. Expect the Danvers-headlined title to last for a while, regardless of sales, in order to satisfy the legal requirements, then it will be axed if it doesn't have reader support.

DC Comics is doubtless aware of this, as well as of the fact that the "Marvel" name is now cemented in the general public's mind as associated with Marvel Comics/Marvel Studios. When the change of DC's Captain Marvel's name to Shazam was announced, I figured that the move was tied to Marvel's legal claim to the name. It also seemed likely that Marvel might be making plans to use the Captain Marvel title across platforms, even if in different forms. I may have been right.

The Captain Marvel comic may have only tenuous connections to what is happening in the MCU. Marvel has gone out of its way to separate the comics universe from its movies; even the movie tie-in comic books are outside the comics continuity. They could have separate Captain Marvel characters in each universe, just as the movie iterations of the Avengers are different in presentation and sometimes origin from their comics counterparts.

Tl;dr: The Captain Marvel in the comics and any future movie version don't necessarily have to be the same. And the existence of one doesn't necessarily preclude that of the other.

Honestly, I think you can do a super powered Carol Danvers without invoking Captain Marvel at all. Note that for large chunks of her career, she's gone by the name Binary and Warbird.

To go slightly OT here (if i'm allowed), I'm currently watching West Wing & Gregg pops up in that for (so far) a couple of episodes..... I swear he's playing Coulson in the same way as he did his character in WestWing

After the Thor short I'm thinking maybe Coulson's attack is higher than that! Where did you get this shot?

Clark Gregg (very) briefly talks about seeing the finished movie. He looks thrilled with what he saw. Even though CG is an actor, I don't think he was faking that.

[YT]J-vD8eE8Cfw[/YT]

Upper Deck Trading Card images

kgrhqjie9joipfvbprlcikw.jpg

r4yhr4t5yhr45yhe4yh.png

kgrhqjpqe9eqf9pvbpswfgs.jpg

kgrhqrjie696cjbwhbpoi20.jpg

I certainly think that a S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show featuring Agent Coulson would be a hit. Earlier in this thread we speculated that it could be a super-powered version of The X-Files, with Coulson spearheading S.H.I.E.L.D.'s efforts to find and recruit or neutralize metahumans. There are so many characters in Marvel's 5,000+ library that the show would never run out of interesting problems for Coulson to tackle. Such a show is far more interesting to me than the Jessica Jones vehicle Marvel already has in development.

Apparently, the major TV networks think it would work, too, because Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel's TV division, said in an interview that Marvel has been approached multiple times with requests to develop a show centered around Agent Coulson. Loeb said that Marvel hasn't decided to do that, but I have my fingers crossed that they'll make the jump sooner rather than later.

Of course, if Marvel goes ahead with the long-rumored Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. movie, this becomes moot. (Zoe Saldana would make the perfect Val, BTW.) :word:

Wow, that's very interesting.

What's interesting to me is that if the MARVEL tv shows are part of the MCU then the character there will get more exposure than the cinematic characters.

Here's hoping. I've been proposing a "Phil Coulson, Agent of SHIELD" TV show for years.

I would totally be all for that! I adore him!

And mine!:D seriously the shorts are not enough. To see the world through Coulson's eyes...

:]

I tracked down the original article/video where Jeph Loeb discussed the possibility of a SHIELD/Coulson TV show. Essentially, he said that while the networks have approached Marvel's TV development outfit about doing a SHIELD show, they don't want to proceed with anything until The Avengers comes out because the films take precedence. They don't want to do anything on the TV side that might conflict with what the films are doing with the characters.

That makes sense, of course. For all we know, the rumored SHIELD film might be in development, or plans to use Agent Coulson in Iron Man 3 mean that any other plans for him will have to wait. Hopefully they won't wait too long, however. The world needs a superhero version of The X-Files ASAP. Coulson could be Mulder & Scully all wrapped up in one person: He believes the truth is out there, and he'll tase it when he finds it. :word:

Jeph Loeb on Marvel's TV plans (skip to the 12:20 mark for the part about SHIELD)

Well, you CAN get a kind of Mulder/Scully dynamic with Son of Coul and Maria Hill, maybe not necessarily with the sexual tension, but the believer/non believer aspect.
But I doubt a monster (costumed hero) of the week show works within the super hero genre. look at smallville for example. the worst, almost unwatchable episodes were their monster of the week ones. and there were many of them

Well, you CAN get a kind of Mulder/Scully dynamic with Son of Coul and Maria Hill, maybe not necessarily with the sexual tension, but the believer/non believer aspect.
But I doubt a monster (costumed hero) of the week show works within the super hero genre. look at smallville for example. the worst, almost unwatchable episodes were their monster of the week ones. and there were many of them

The show wouldn't have to follow a "creature of the week" format to be successful. The writers could set up HYDRA or A.I.M. as SHIELD's perpetual nemesis and have multi-episode arcs involving efforts to track the enemy's actions and stop the development or use of exotic weapons or exotic superhumans. Say A.I.M.'s rogue scientists decided to pursue the creation of another Tesseract/Cosmic Cube, as they did in the comics. That alone could spur an entire season's worth of plot, with many subplots and side developments along the way, like the Super-Adaptoid, etc.

Apart from that, SHIELD could also actively seek out a whole universe full of superpowered characters. Not only would it be fun, but it would be a terrific way to introduce the general audience to some of the aspects of the Marvel Universe they aren't familiar with. Characters who will never get exposure in the film universe could be fleshed out in the TV show. Backstories for major developments in the MCU could also be explored. The TV show could become what the movie tie-in comics are now, a way to expand on the films and explore concepts that take more time than is otherwise available.

And don't forget guest appearances by the Avengers. Because that would totally sell me on watching this show, as if having Coulson in center stage wasn't already a good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"