Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt it, but I also wouldn't say it's a bunch of nobodys so far.

It already has Zoe Saldana. She's not notable or respectable?

She's well known, but I wouldn't say incredibly well-respected. She's basically a franchise actress, not that there's anything WRONG with that, but Marvel (and many other studios) seem to like to squeeze in some "prestige" actors into their blockbusters.

I don't doubt it, but I also wouldn't say it's a bunch of nobodys so far.
I wouldn't either. Zoe is a pretty big name at this point.

She's well known, but I wouldn't say incredibly well-respected. She's basically a franchise actress.
That's about how I'd describe Hugo Weaving, who people always list as a big name actor when they're talking about these films' casts

I wouldn't either. Zoe is a pretty big name at this point.

That's about how I'd describe Hugo Weaving, who people always list as an A-lister when they're talking about these films' casts

True. But Hugo Weaving, like Mark Strong, is a bit of a go-to-guy for "actor who will lend our tent pole dramatic credibility." You can't really say that about Saldana.

JB-The Hunter seems convinced that Marvel would be perfectly happy populating a film with WB actors if they were right for the role, and that's simply not true. Their track record proves they have an eye for Oscar level talent.

Last edited:
I agree with Kang here. I mean, did they have to go after Robert Redford for the Cap sequel? Of course not. But that name alone brings a lot of prestige and respect with it.

So when GotG inevitably gets a notable, well respected talent, are you going to prattle on like a fool about it being "coincidental" and say "Marvel doesn't really care about that" despite the fact that GoTG will mark the 10th consecutive film such casting decisions were made in?
Hey, don't get me wrong, I didn't say Marvel's not going to get big name actors, I only said it's not needed. It's not a necessity. Which is something that was echoed by the director himself. If Marvel had the choice between getting someone who was a big name and wasn't right for the role and a lesser known actor who was perfect for a role, they'd choose the latter 9 times out of 10.

JB-The Hunter seems convinced that Marvel would be perfectly happy populating a film with WB actors if they were right for the role, and that's simply not true.
How can you say that when James Gunn himself is the one who confirmed this?
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...-the-galaxy-were-connected-to-avengers-2.html
I think Marvel's been fantastic because they are such a big name and they're able to create such big movies that they really look for the right person for the role instead of just a big star for the role.

Last edited:
What is it with this "directors words are the gospel truth" thing in this thread lately...?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I didn't say Marvel's not going to get big name actors, I only said it's not needed. Something that was echoed by the director himself.

How can you say that when James Gunn himself is the one who confirmed this?
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...-the-galaxy-were-connected-to-avengers-2.html

I honestly can't take that at face value. Gunn might feel that way, but the studio he works for certainly doesn't.

Also, no director or studio would EVER admit "We require Oscar/ BAFTA/ Emmy level actors in all of our films." It would make them look like a bunch of snobs.

What is it with this "directors words are the gospel truth" thing in this thread lately...?

I really don't know. I got into a debate about this earlier when Batista was announced and people were like "Well if Gunn likes, so do I!" I don't really understand it. Probably never will.

We can either use our own interpretations, or the word from the man creating the film. Which one makes more sense? James Gunn isn't lying about this, he has no reason to lie, I mean look at the cast we have so far, the fact that people are still waiting for a big name should tell you something.

What should he say? "Marvel let me cast Chris Pratt but I have to cast some big names around him or the movie will flop"?

A lot of what these people say is lip service

What should he say? "Marvel let me cast Chris Pratt but I have to cast some big names around him or the movie will flop"?

A lot of what these people say is lip service
Gunn has been really specific with what he's said so far, more so than any director I've seen in a while. I don't believe that anything he's said is lip-service. He's a really open and straightforward guy. Look what he said about the whole Drax situation. He pretty much called El Mayimbe out.

Have a hard time believing he's Thanos given his build...Magus is a definite possibility.....or Korvac.

Gunn has been really specific with what he's said so far, more so than any director I've seen in a while. I don't believe that anything he's said is lip-service. He's a really open and straightforward guy. Look what he said about the whole Drax situation. He pretty much called El Mayimbe out.

He also called Dave Bautista one of the most naturally gifted actors he's ever met in his life, which smacks of lip service.

If true, he'll probably be playing Korvac. I can't imagine Pace as Thanos.
Another lesser known actor, see what I'm getting at?

You guys keep going on about how all these extra roles NEED to be filled up by big stars but so far we have Michael Rooker, Ophelia Lovibond and now Lee Pace... which is awesome because he's a great actor.

He also called Dave Bautista one of the most naturally gifted actors he's ever met in his life, which smacks of lip service.
He's the one who cast Batista, it's not like Batista was forced on him. In fact according to him Batista is the only one he ever wanted for the role, so of course he thinks Batista is a gifted actor. That's not lip-service no matter how much you want it to be.

Collector maybe, Chewy?

I like Pace, so I'm glad he's joined the MCU. Never had him penned down as a villain though.

The Collector is an old man, and is sort of an anti-villain/ meddling party vs. an actual villain.

Wasn't Pace up for the role of Star-Lord at one point?

Another lesser known actor, see what I'm getting at?

You guys keep going on about how all these extra roles NEED to be filled up by big stars but so far we have Michael Rooker, Ophelia Lovibond and now Lee Pace... which is awesome because he's a great actor.

Casting isn't anywhere near done, don't claim victory on this debate just yet. :o

Casting isn't anywhere near done, don't claim victory on this debate just yet. :o
Of course it's not over. The point I'm trying to make is that all of these supporting roles could have been filled up with bigger names, but they weren't, because that's not the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"