OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by KangConquers, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewy REDACTED

Star-Lord never wore the mask all the time. He wore it maybe a third of the time in the series this is being adapted from.

The genre is space opera. The genre of the comic was space opera, the genre Gunn has talked about is space opera. There is a talking alien raccoon. Hard sci fi this is not.

2. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

What worries me is these characters have failed to catch on several times. I could see Marvel pushing for a more streamlined, mainstream take on them.

3. Chewy REDACTED

And I'm sure they will/are. That doesn't mean they'll stick the heroes in Mass Effect/HALO/Stormtrooper armor. That kind of betrays the "wacky outcasts fighting against the big evil empire" imagery this franchise is based around, and they've referenced in their loglines

4. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Hold me, Chewy. I'm scared. :waa:

5. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Cosmic stuff in general never seems to catch on with comics readership. There are more popular characters than others (Silver Surfer, Thanos) but for the most part the modern comic book fan doesn't seem to care for the space stuff and that really sucks for a guy like me who loves the space stuff and have to deal with those comics being canceled after a few issues. I'm sad now.:csad:

6. Chewy REDACTED

I would be too, except that I trust Gunn not to neuter the heroes completely and take away everything that makes them weird. Don't think they'd have hired him if this was gonna be the sanitized blah some fans seem to want.

7. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Seriously, I don't get it. Here you got this group of interesting, fresh, new characters and people are like "Lets make them like this other popular thing!"

8. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I hope you're right.

9. Chewy REDACTED

I want the bipolar warrior chick, I want the introspective, existentialist brute, I want the overtly OCD raccoon. I'm sure most of it will be toned down but all of that screams James Gunn to me, it's why the hire was so exciting to me

10. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Exactly. These characters need to be quirky and nuanced. The last thing I want to see is Gamora as a generic, somber, guilt-stricken daughter of the antagonist, trying to atone for her past.

11. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Agreed 110%, Chewy and Kang.

GOTG is space opera, not nuts-n-bolts SF. The Mass Effect armor they're trying to foist off on the neutered version of GOTG in today's comics is pure crap.

The whole point of the Guardians is individuality, doing your own thing. Just like the X-Men, which is all about defining your own place in the world, and thinking for yourself. There's no way they'd ever make the movie version of the X-Men all wear generic identical uniforms like some effed-up Gestapo co-ed boy band.

[​IMG]

(goddammit :cmad: )

12. terry78 We are the Flintstone Kids

The series itself is dark, but the characters are all so ridiculously badass it almost verges on satire, that's why it works. They're all almost always ready to engage in battle, except for Star-Lord.

13. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

^Star lord pissed me off in annihilation lol

err excuse me..."Peter Quill"

I am worried about Thanos mostlly for this movie. As sam said a few weeks ago, he needs to basically be reviewed very well

in fact..I think he may be the most important casting of the next few years

14. Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

the concept art we saw for GOTG was perfection they should stick with that not generic mass effect armor. Mass Effect isn't bad but this isn't a Mass Effect movie it's a GOTG movie.

15. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

yeah. Though I think popular word is that they will be getting new designs than from that concept art?

16. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Of course. Everyone has to be armored up and shiny and stylized.

17. Joeyjojo72 Registered

Actually in the concept art, Drax Rocket and Quill seem to have coordinated outfits.

18. Filmboy Registered

So basically Star Lord is the only half human from the team? The rest of the guardians are all Aliens/outer space beings ???

Does anyone knows who the villains will be??

19. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

I have no idea if this has been confirmed already but even without official confirmation it is safe to say that Thanos will be involved in the story of the movie

20. OB12 Registered

There was a rumor going around several months ago that the Magus would be an antogonist.

21. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Drax is the only other one who *might* be human. In the comics, he was a human transplanted into an alien body in a frankly silly and over-complicated backstory; we don't know if the film version of the MCU is going to use that or not.

22. TheVileOne Registered

Well for one thing we don't know that Thanos will suddenly be thrust as the main villain in this story, he could just be pulling the strings like Voldemort in a lot of Harry Potter flicks.

Magus would be an option.

Or maybe they want to introduce the Skrull or the Kree here.

23. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Also Universal Church of Truth, or Peter Quill's father, who's going to be the villain in the first Marvel NOW arc.

24. Chris B Registered

This could be a first for him. :oldrazz:

I saw someone suggest Bruce Willis once, which I think could work. As long as he wasn't playing his usual screen persona but in alien make-up.

25. Chris B Registered

He'd probably never do it, but has anyone ever considered Leonardo DiCaprio for Star-Lord? He has the charisma to do for the role what RDJ did for Iron Man, plus his star power woudn't be bad for giving this a small boost at the box office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.