Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of the Galaxy Director Discussion

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
We need a little safe haven to talk about who should call the shots on this film.

humor, sci-fi, action and adventure... Brad Bird would be on my list for sure :)

With MS you never know. Are there any good sci fi TV shows out there atm?

Probably someone none of us will ever think of.

Brad Bird
Alfonso Cuarón
Guillermo Del Toro
Peter Jackson
Jon Favreau

Probably someone none of us will ever think of.

Since it probably won't be Duncan Jones, Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Brad Bird or Drew Goddard you're likely right.

This is one movie I'm incredibly looking forward to. The potential is through the roof with this one.

Since it probably won't be Duncan Jones, Guillermo Del Toro, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Brad Bird or Drew Goddard you're likely right.
Unlike Thor, CAP, Iron Man and the Avengers that had name recognition among non fans, GOTG doesn't have that. Either they will need some A-list and/or hire an A-list director to generate interest among fans. When a poster comes out is it better if the public to see a tv director there or Brad Bird's name. The spots can say from the director of the Incredibles and MI4 would generate a lot of buzz. Cameron has Avatar is no to him and as for Spielberg not him, due to his 10+ other movies. The next would be Del Toro as much fun it would be to have him he is over committed with a bunch of other movies. As for Jackson he could do it depends on the Tintin sequel as for Bird he has a few other movies but after MI4 and the Incredibles imagine this with him. As for Jones why is he listed with these other directors?

I honestly don't buy that they need a big name director/big name actor to generate interest.

They'll get at least one big name actor, probably more. They've yet to make a movie without doing so

I don't think they'll need a big name director either.

I think what's most important here is to hire someone who is actually in the know of what Marvel wants for this. With all due respect to Joss Whedon he's not exactly the first name that people thought of for The Avengers and we all know how that worked out.

Someone like Drew Goddard who would show a great deal of passion for a project like this is more valuable than just hiring some "big name" director who has no understanding or real inherit desire to adapt this in to live action.

Marvel/Disney tend to think outside the box when it comes to picking a director I mean, look at who they got directing the Cap sequel.

I don't think they'll need a big name director either.

I think what's most important here is to hire someone who is actually in the know of what Marvel wants for this. With all due respect to Joss Whedon he's not exactly the first name that people thought of for The Avengers and we all know how that worked out.

Someone like Drew Goddard who would show a great deal of passion for a project like this is more valuable than just hiring some "big name" director who has no understanding or real inherit desire to adapt this in to live action.
Look at the Avenger's it has name recognition plus 4 movies of build up. As for CAP2 it already has CAP1 and the Avengers to play off, GotG has none of this. Even less with the general audience. I don't think Goddard could sell this movie or make a good one. I would think Favreau knows what Marvel wants as for Bird. Del Toro is a master of his craft, if Comic-Con was any indication he would knock it out of the park and wouldn't be surprise if he got a 200M+ budget. Cuarón knows how to do sci-fi.

No way this movie gets a $200 million budget. NO WAY.

There are very few directors that sell movies on their name alone. That's what the actors are for.

I can see someone like Gareth Edwards who seems to be a hot name right now being sought. Or someone more left field like Ivan Reitman.

Goddard, Edwards, Reitman, and Carnahan could all do great.

Marvel definitely seems to gravitate to guys like this instead of the big leaguers which honestly is a great move. They're actually giving chances to directors who would otherwise never be considered for movies like this.

Duncan Jones was apparently on the shortlist for Man of Steel before they went with Snyder. I liked Moon, never seen The Source Code but he seems like the type of not that well known, capable director Marvel likes to go with.

Another solid choice. :up:

Never got to see Moon but I absolutely loved Source Code so yeah he's another great candidate.

Another solid choice. :up:

Never got to see Moon but I absolutely loved Source Code so yeah he's another great candidate.

Someone else mentioned him in this thread but I saw his name looking up sci-fi movie directors and saw that tidbit.

Moon is terrific. Haven't seen Source Code yet

Duncan Jones was the first name that popped into my head. Unfortunately he has the recently announced Ian Flemming biopic that was announced. I think he mentioned on Twitter he was writing another movie as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"