Official Iron Man thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
I've been reading the series since issue #1 came out and read the entire arc of Extremis, issue #7 of the new arc Executive Program is off to a good start so far. I'm really enjoying his portrayal after injecting himself with the Extremis, he shows off his skill of multi tasking along with being a bit careful of the people surrounding him and I'm loving it. Although, there's someone in London who appears to be using one of his Iron Man armored suits and is going on a killing spree targeting people. It shows him operating the suit from a computer program to make the hits. I'm hoping the series picks up during the Civil War storyline, and the issues maintain their course.

Issue #10 has a really great cover of Iron Man fighting The Sentry.

IM010cover.jpg

:eek: Wow! That cover is awesome!

Yeah, I really liked Extremis and IMO this is the kind of stories where Ellis can really shine.

Haha, the only thing I can think of when I see that cover is, "Man, Tony's so gonna get his ass kicked." :D I gotta say, I'm looking forward to Tony getting a beatdown soon. He needs to be taken down a peg or ten. I really hope someone kicks his ass before this is all over.

Whos the artist for that?

Adi Granov painted that particular image. I think Patrick Zircher is still the interior penciler, though.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Haha, the only thing I can think of when I see that cover is, "Man, Tony's so gonna get his ass kicked." :D I gotta say, I'm looking forward to Tony getting a beatdown soon. He needs to be taken down a peg or ten. I really hope someone kicks his ass before this is all over.

I agree. I'm not sure when the memo went out that Tony has to be an arrogant prick all the time, but I'm tired of it. The only time I've liked Tony lately was when Namor handed him his ass in Illuminati special.

That cover is amazing.Good thing it's not a misleading cover,Adi mentioned that they actually do fight.

Yeah, I'm not fond of this "new" Tony Stark either. He used to be the heart of the Avengers now he's just the one that lies.

I'm loving Iron Man lately.I don't see him as a prick at all.His intentions are clearly good,it's just the way he goes about them and how they're affecting those close to him that makes for an interesting story.

Batman said:
I've been reading the series since issue #1 came out and read the entire arc of Extremis, issue #7 of the new arc Executive Program is off to a good start so far. I'm really enjoying his portrayal after injecting himself with the Extremis, he shows off his skill of multi tasking along with being a bit careful of the people surrounding him and I'm loving it. Although, there's someone in London who appears to be using one of his Iron Man armored suits and is going on a killing spree targeting people. It shows him operating the suit from a computer program to make the hits. I'm hoping the series picks up during the Civil War storyline, and the issues maintain their course.

Issue #10 has a really great cover of Iron Man fighting The Sentry.

IM010cover.jpg

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhh YYYYYyeeeaaa!!!!!!!!!

That is one hell of a cover!

Yea, since Ellis took over, I'm loving this. Although it took like, a year and a half to get the 1st story out of the way, it still was brilliant. I think Granovs art IS worth the wait.

One real funny thing, Mark Millar and Warren Ellis are good friends, (in fact, Ellis has stated that Millar was the one who got him working for Marvel.) And in Millar's The Ultimates, he sets up Iron Man's armour to have something like 10 people to get it on Tony. In doing this, he said not only did he want to make it realistic, and suited to our times, but he also wanted the armour to seem super futuristic etc. etc.

So naturally, I assumed Ellis would take some sort of a route, even VAGUELY similar to Millar. Well, he went the extreme opposite, and went back to the suitcase! Of all things! And not only that, he makes Iron Man able to mentally connect to ANY comp in the world, to the point where Iron Man is almost biomechanical! He's even telekinetic with his suit! He's so powerful now, he could take out Thor, or even Superman theoretically. The concepte is so ludicrous, and SO out there.

What's even crazier is, I'm loving it! What is even crazier than that is, I seem to love both Millar and Ellis' incarnations equally! I like how everyones now writing Stark as becoming cynical, paranoid, moody, self righteous, arrogant, and somewhat loopy, in the 616MU. In both The inevitable, and his own title, we see how he's changed since The Extremis, I'm glad they're sticking to this. Parts of this has shown up subtley in other books, (The New Avengers Annual, NA:Illuminati etc.) but we know now, the 'new' Iron Man is going to become a very interesting part of Civil War, which I'm very much looking forward to.

I mean, think about it, after what happened to with the villain in the 'Extremis,' and his lovers murder prior to that, his next near death, and to so quickly become so INCREDIBLY super powerful, he is going to be acting very out of sorts. But like what GNR4LIFE said, he always has the best intentions at the start

Also, considering how powerful Tony is now, I don't think that The Sentry will have it this easy.

GNR4Life said:
That cover is amazing.Good thing it's not a misleading cover,Adi mentioned that they actually do fight.

Glad to hear that'll happen.

Red X said:
Yeah, I'm not fond of this "new" Tony Stark either. He used to be the heart of the Avengers now he's just the one that lies.
It's not really all that "new," to be honest. The writers have just basically reverted Tony back to his '80s/early '90s personality. That was the era of the Armor Wars and his decision to kill the Supreme Intelligence in "Operation: Galactic Storm" and his lies to Rhodey and all that. He's always been an arrogant prick, he just recently started playing nice post-Heroes Reborn.

It's not really an out-of-character problem I have with him, it's just that his in-character prickdom has gotten so extreme that it annoys me and I just think the other heroes need to see that and *****-slap him back into his place.

And oh, sweet lord on high, would I love for Thor to be the one who does it.

Again. :D

Im simply love Iron man at the moment .... marvel are doing a great job of revitalising some of its older characters. For example I’m loving what Bendis is doing for Spider woman, her interaction with Spiderman is one of the high points of New Avengers. His work with Luke Cage is also intriguing. Im relishing Iron Mans new role as arguably Marvels 2nd most powerful hero. His update to a premier power house has been needed for along time.

Other Marvel character improvements have included : Hercules, Ares and She Hulk (Which i haven't read but her recent series was critically acclaimed). Bendis work with Miss Marvel has also been noticeable :)

yahman said:
Im simply love Iron man at the moment .... marvel are doing a great job of revitalising some of its older characters. For example I’m loving what Bendis is doing for Spider woman, her interaction with Spiderman is one of the high points of New Avengers. His work with Luke Cage is also intriguing. Im relishing Iron Mans new role as arguably Marvels 2nd most powerful hero. His update to a premier power house has been needed for along time.

Other Marvel character improvements have included : Hercules, Ares and She Hulk (Which i haven't read but her recent series was critically acclaimed). Bendis work with Miss Marvel has also been noticeable :)

Exactly,it's about time they realized there's more to Marvel than the muties.

Huh? It's not like Marvel forgot it had characters besides mutants before now. :confused:

GNR4Life said:
Exactly,it's about time they realized there's more to Marvel than the muties.

Revitilisation for other non-mutant charcters is seriously needed. Villains such as the Werecking Crew, the Absorbing man, Nefaria, Ultron and Gravtiton could all do with a 'face-lifts'.

Work on inhumans would also be cool. I think charcaters such as Karnack, Gorgon, Medussa and Crystal, have the potential to be very interesting. It will be exciting to see what Gaima will do with the Eternals, and i think Namor has the potential to become Marvels answer to Black Adam.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Huh? It's not like Marvel forgot it had characters besides mutants before now. :confused:

No .... but some are becoming very 'dated'

I would actually say that Black Adam has "stolen" his personality from Namor.

The_Mystery said:
I would actually say that Black Adam has "stolen" his personality from Namor.

Agreed .... but in your oppinion who is currently 'hotter property' ? D.C.'s revamp of Black Adam has been serioulsy badass.

Marvel should learn from D.C.

maybe we should start having Marvels stories about Suzanne Richards being raped (Sarcasm).

Seriously though, Civil war is unlikely to amount to the epic that has been theCrisis. It seems a bit rushed and contrived. Its also unlinked to the other major marvel events. A bridge needs to be formed between Marvels cosmic characters, and its earth based ones. I couldn't care less for character such as Nova, but i do have a soft for classic characters such as Thanos and the Silver Surfer. There must be a way to involve them more with the earth based events.

Any way back to Iron man ..... I looked forward to his impending fight against the Sentry. Its a chance for marvel to show how truely powerful both characters reallly are.

The farther Thanos and the Surfer stay away from Earth, the better, in my opinion. Involving them in the mainstream is one thing, but forcing them to interact with Earth when it doesn't really make sense for their characters is not necessary. Silver Surfer had several series where he cruised the universe with nary a mention of Earth, and I thought they were great. If you're modeling things on DC, DC doesn't really force its cosmics to Earth in order to get the spotlight on them. That's why Rann/Thanagar War was about an intergalactic war that had next to nothing to do with Earth, which set up a larger cosmic conflict that tied into the overarching Crisis.

Since Sentry beat Carnage in less than a page this fight shouldn't last to long.

I would have read Extremis if each issue wasn't so insanely late. I'll probably buy the tpb. I wish Adi Granov had stayed on. I like Zircher's art in Cable/Deadpool, but it really looks like a step down in Iron Man. I'm really enjoying Iron Man: The Inevitable. Interesting story and really cool, unconventional art.

DBM said:
I agree. I'm not sure when the memo went out that Tony has to be an arrogant prick all the time, but I'm tired of it. The only time I've liked Tony lately was when Namor handed him his ass in Illuminati special.

Well, he is a CEO of a giant corporation, isn't he? It goes with the territory. But he's also a hero so I'd like to see him as less of an ******* too.

TheCorpulent1 said:
The farther Thanos and the Surfer stay away from Earth, the better, in my opinion. Involving them in the mainstream is one thing, but forcing them to interact with Earth when it doesn't really make sense for their characters is not necessary. Silver Surfer had several series where he cruised the universe with nary a mention of Earth, and I thought they were great. If you're modeling things on DC, DC doesn't really force its cosmics to Earth in order to get the spotlight on them. That's why Rann/Thanagar War was about an intergalactic war that had next to nothing to do with Earth, which set up a larger cosmic conflict that tied into the overarching Crisis.

Involving them in the mainstream is one thing, but forcing them to interact with Earth when it doesn't really make sense for their characters is not necessary.

you have a point ..... therefore more heroes assoctaited with earth should venture out into space ? Im just not that keen on many so marvels 'cosmic' characters, i far prefer D.C.'s

'If you're modeling things on DC, DC doesn't really force its cosmics to Earth in order to get the spotlight on them.'

I disagree, (although i don't read a lot of Green lattern) i get the general impression a lot of the cosmic being are forced to interact with earth. The likes of Mordru, Shazam, Nabu, Ganthet, Zeus, Ares, Darksied, Cyborg Superman, Brainiac, High Father, Trigon, Mongul The Quitessence and other Gods, all generally act through earth to feature.... And IMO the Rann Thanagar was by the worst link to the Crisis.

Or maybe my definition of a cosmic being, differs from yours ? (No sarcasm intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"