Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAK®;24837877 said:
I think the trailer was very optimistic. I don't see where these claims of darkness are coming from.

exactly.:yay: I found it serious but not dark.

I think the most telling thing about Jonathan's delivery of the "maybe" line is that he's looking at the ground, not at Clark when he says it. You can tell he is very conflicted, and this is a situation that nothing could ever prepare you to know what to say. To me it seems that this is the conversation where the "you have to decide what kind of man you want to be" line comes from. I like it, it feels more natural, Jonathan is a loving father first and foremost, and his first priority will always be Clark's safety.

I think the most telling thing about Jonathan's delivery of the "maybe" line is that he's looking at the ground, not at Clark when he says it. You can tell he is very conflicted, and this is a situation that nothing could ever prepare you to know what to say. To me it seems that this is the conversation where the "you have to decide what kind of man you want to be" line comes from. I like it, it feels more natural, Jonathan is a loving father first and foremost, and his first priority will always be Clark's safety.

Yeah to be honest I still think he'll follow that line with something like maybe... No of course not but you have to be careful etc

After this trailer, I have never been so happy to have Kevin Costner and Diane lane as ma and pa kent though, they seem to bring so much to re characters even though we have only seen the tiniest glimpses.

One of my favourite moments in the trailer is at the beginning, with Clarke crying in the closet covering his ears, and Martha teary eyed on the other side of th door. It seems to be that Clark is overwhelmed by his super hearing, and she is doing everything she can to get him through it (think of my voice as an island, alone in the middle of an ocean. Do you see it). Powerful stuff.

and I'm glad Martha seems to be playing a prominent role in shaping young Clark.

I hope the same goes for Lara's role.

too often, the mothers' roles are downplayed in favor of the fathers'.

BB did this too, with Bruce's mom basically an afterthought and all the emphasis on father figures.

I agree. Too many people are jumping on this Jonathan Kent line, as if it's totally out of character for him. But it's worth remembering that when Clark asks him if he should have let the people die, he doesn't say "Yes" ..................... he says "maybe". It's obviously something he's grappling with, and that adds a level of realism and complexity to the very real scenario the Kents face : they have a superpowered alien for a son who has to pretend he's human.

Asides from Smallville, I don't recall Kents in any previous Superman movies/TV having to face the real problems such a situation would bring asides from the usual "don't let anyone see your powers being used, Clark". Did any of them ever have to tell an 8yr or 9yr old Clark to choose to let people live or die?

As soon as I saw the trailer last night I knew Jonathan's comment would be an issue with some people. I'm not worried about. What this movie is presenting, much like Batman Begins and Iron Man is a full fleshed out character not a cardboard cut out as in Superman Returns. It sounds like we'll have meaningful dialogue and Clark/Superman will be treated like a actual person with conflict, emotions confusion etc which he will give voice to.

The reason Superman Returns didn't do well wasn't because he didn't smile enough or wasn't fun enough as one poster mentions. It was a boring movie in which Clark/Superman barely had any dialogue. Man of Steel looks like a well developed film from just the character standpoint even if you ignore the effects etc. At least there characters seem fleshed out based on the little dialogue we have here. I haven't been this excited for a movie in a very long time! :wow:

Yeah, I'm not worried about the "maybe" line. Remember, Jonathan also has that great line about Clark someday changing the world. I wonder if that line comes after the maybe line. Something about how he knows that someday, Clark will have to reveal to the world who he is, but if he did so as a 10-year-old kid (or however old he is there), he probably wouldn't be able to handle the repercussions.

It's not like he said "Yes". Now that would be something to talk about haha

That's something I'd like to see as well. It's like us seeing a Superman in the city doing the unthinkable. But if Superman smiling at bystanders (and the like) is going to bring this film down for you I hope you can find something else to latch on to. There are tons more to Superman that WILL be in the film. This is could be the best movie for our hero ever. I'd hate for a fellow Superman fan not be able to enjoy it because of things like smiling at crowds and what not. But I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. It will be better than SR at least... :cwink:

*btw I couldn't see your video.
This was the video he had in his post....

[YT]3tcLTF5qgBc[/YT]

Having an alien super powered son is kind of a unique situation. Jonathan may be a man of high moral fiber, but that doesn't mean he always has an answer or knows what the right thing to do is.

And maybe is right. Superman can't be everywhere.

JAK®;24837877 said:
I think the trailer was very optimistic. I don't see where these claims of darkness are coming from.

“Dark” and “Gritty” have become genetic and nebulous terms to label comic book films that look to bring the same feeling and drama that the better books do. The only comic film that strayed into “Dark and Gritty” territory that I can remember seeing recently was TDK. Heath Ledger absolutely showed the world why the Joker is always on Batman’s mind. Superman looks to be epic in scale and emotionally substantial. I think in addition to telling a gret superhero story, Snyder is really looking to drive home what an awesome weight and resposiblity it is to BE Superman, how it affects the people closest to him, and the type of strength of character Superman has. In that even though some may question and fear him he chooses the path of selflessness and chooses to defend rather than destroy.

In short, I agree 100%. It's a lot of think but it's not "dark."

“Dark” and “Gritty” have become genetic and nebulous terms to label comic book films that look to bring the same feeling and drama that the better books do. The only comic film that strayed into “Dark and Gritty” territory that I can remember seeing recently was TDK. Heath Ledger absolutely showed the world why the Joker is always on Batman’s mind. Superman looks to be epic in scale and emotionally substantial. I think in addition to telling a gret superhero story, Snyder is really looking to drive home what an awesome weight and resposiblity it is to BE Superman, how it affects the people closest to him, and the type of strength of character Superman has. In that even though some may question and fear him he chooses the path of selflessness and chooses to defend rather than destroy.

In short, I agree 100%. It's a lot of think but it's not "dark."

^This.

The words "dark" and "gritty" are getting thrown around way too much these days. The Man of Steel trailer is not "dark," it's not "gritty." It's serious, it's dramatic, and grounded.

Apparently, depth of emotion and drama is now considered dark, since Batman had those same qualities and is a "dark" character.

Whenever I see those words associated with Man of Steel in someone's post, I know to immediately skip over it, as that person clearly has no idea what they're talking about.

yes......and we don't know the full conversation, either.

what does he say before maybe. what does he say after.

from the brief clip of that scene, you can tell by the body language that this is difficult for both father and son.

Like I've said before, I bet the "maybe" leads straight into Jonathan showing Clark the ship, telling him that he's not from Earth and that people fear what they don't understand. The context of the school bus save and the impact it has on Clark's safety is the perfect setup for all that, a discussion of all the dangers of going public. I'm so excited! Also, the dusk lighting is the same in the conversation by the truck outside and the scene in the barn from Comic-Con.

^This.

The words "dark" and "gritty" are getting thrown around way too much these days. The Man of Steel trailer is not "dark," it's not "gritty." It's serious, it's dramatic, and grounded.

Apparently, depth of emotion and drama is now considered dark, since Batman had those same qualities and is a "dark" character.

Whenever I see those words associated with Man of Steel in someone's post, I know to immediately skip over it, as that person clearly has no idea what they're talking about.

People think the trailer is dark because it literally is dark. The shooting style has a contrasty, sci-fi noir feel to it remeniscent of the Fleischer series.

I like the muted color palate. It looks nice, and it seems to fit the kind of story they want to tell.

I still wish it were a more traditional costume, though. Keep the muted colors, but a cloth costume would be nice.

Like I've said before, I bet the "maybe" leads straight into Jonathan showing Clark the ship, telling him that he's not from Earth and that people fear what they don't understand. The context of the school bus save and the impact it has on Clark's safety is the perfect setup for all that, a discussion of all the dangers of going public. I'm so excited! Also, the dusk lighting is the same in the conversation by the truck outside and the scene in the barn from Comic-Con.
Spoilers

[blackout]yes, i think right after that scene is where Jonathan reveals to Clark that is from another planet. It's in the ComicCon trailer, Clark is wearing the same gray hoodie.[/blackout]

This was the video he had in his post....

[YT]3tcLTF5qgBc[/YT]

Thank you Warrior. :yay: I used to love that trailer. I watched it at least 8-9 thousand times. lol

Honestly though, alot of that trailers success and build up... was because of the Williams theme. Watching it muted doesn't do anything for me personally. Not like the new trailer we got yesterday.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the "maybe" line. Remember, Jonathan also has that great line about Clark someday changing the world. I wonder if that line comes after the maybe line. Something about how he knows that someday, Clark will have to reveal to the world who he is, but if he did so as a 10-year-old kid (or however old he is there), he probably wouldn't be able to handle the repercussions.

There's a scene when Pa is holding Clark and kissing him on the head...I'm thinking he says that line then

I think the muted color thing may be to contrast how bright and good a character like Superman is. After thinking about it I'm looking at it as almost more of an artistic choice.

I think the muted color thing may be to contrast how bright and good a character like Superman is. After thinking about it I'm looking at it as almost more of an artistic choice.
Was it ever anything other than an artistic choice? You don't choose the colour scheme of your frames on a whim.

This may have been brought up already - or not - but does the stuff floating behind him in the water at the beginning look like Kryptonite to anyone else? I swear I can see shards of green in the darkness...

I'm pretty sure that's the oil rig scene

I wonder if the Dialogue Clark says at the end of the trailer, regarding his father takes places during an interview with Lois.

Yes, absolutely. As a father, I am primarily concerned about my children's safety first before all others... including my own. I'm very sorry to say it, but if I had to make an ultimate decision between my child and another life... I would choose my child. I can completely relate to his "maybe".

Yeah to be honest I still think he'll follow that line with something like maybe... No of course not but you have to be careful etc

I hope he doesn't eat his own words by negating it with a "no of course not"... I hope he tells Clark to make his own decision and to do things the smart way. To do things in a way that will protect himself... I think that's the role that Costner's Kent should play in this movie, Crowe's Jor-El can be the beacon of hope that will balance everything else... the two fathers directing Clark/Kal-El to find himself and ultimately become Superman.

I wanna see the man of steel trailer with Williams music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"