Official PlayStation Vita Thread

Looks like we may FINALLY be getting the Slim over here

playstation-breakfast-briefing-redactedjpg-886d6d-610x308.jpg

Theres a UK review up on Cnet. Here's what they had to say about the display for this still hating on it

Display
The Vita Slim retains the 5-inch screen, but Sony has swapped the old Vita's OLED panel, in favour of an LCD one. Initially that raised alarm bells, as OLED panels typically provide stunningly rich colours. Hearing that it had been removed didn't sound like good news.

My fears were quickly allayed however, as the new LCD panel is actually rather good. It doesn't have quite the same deep saturation as its OLED cousin, but I found it to have a slightly warmer, more natural colour tone. I certainly won't say the new Vita's screen looks better -- but it's no worse, just different. The colour tone on the new panel is different, sure, but I had to look at test images and settings menus on both screens at once to tell the difference. When you're in the middle of a game, I almost guarantee you won't find the new Vita's screen lacking in any way.

Both screens share the same 960x544-pixel resolution, which is sufficient to make small text in games or when browsing the Web look sharp and clearly readable. Whacking in a Full HD display of the kind you'd get on Sony's recent Xperia Z1 smart phone might make things look more crisp, but it would also be much more demanding of both the processor and the battery. As it stands, the screen is more than adequate, and is a good compromise for overall performance.
http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/sony-playstation-vita-2000/4505-10109_7-35827488.html

I'll just stick with my OLED.

New PS Vita Model Coming to North America
by Colin Moriarty FEBRUARY 10, 2014
SUBMIT TWEET SHARE +1 SHARE
Today, Sony revealed that the new PS Vita Model -- the so-called "Slim" design -- will be coming to North America this Spring. Additionally, a Borderlands 2 bundle will be available upon launch.

Little else is known about the new PS Vita Model when it comes to its North American launch, such as pricing or a specific release date. However, Sony did show-off the Borderlands 2 bundle's box. Presumably, PS Vita Slim will also be available on its own.

Developing...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/new-ps-vita-model-coming-to-north-america

that was the reason why I tracked down the non slim model I am not a fan of them downgrading to a LCD although the 1 gb of built in memory is nice. I am quite happy with my fat Vita with the OLED :)

Id rather a standalone console as I already own BL2 via Plus.

So we finally have some tangible details about the Vita version of Borderlands 2! Basically it doesn't look as good or run as well as the PS3 version, but overall it's not too bad considering they squeezed everything down to Vita size. :yay:

First, here is a 4 minute video of the game running at GDC:
[YT]ZLwKkjvL_zA[/YT]

Borderlands 2 on Vita: Rough Around the Edges
It came as a surprise to find Borderlands 2’s PS Vita iteration at the PlayStation GDC booth, especially because Sony, 2K, and Gearbox have been so mum about it. Running on debug Vita hardware, Borderlands 2 looks the part – and is reportedly content complete with some DLC added in -- but it’s definitely not on the same level as its console and PC counterparts. (It can, however, speak to the PS3 version of the game with Cross-Save.)

In the five minutes or so I spent with the game, running around a couple of areas while gunning down enemies, I was disappointed that Borderlands 2 isn’t running better. It’s not a major surprise that there are some performance issues – PS Vita is powerful, but not as powerful as the PlayStation 3 – and I couldn’t help but wonder if Sony and the studio responsible for the port, Iron Galaxy, are working on further optimization.

The game ran somewhat sluggishly, held back by a subpar framerate, and it even froze in place a couple of times for a second or two when there wasn’t even that much action going on on-screen. In this regard, I hope that Borderlands 2 is further refined before it’s released to the general public, because the performance issues are noticeable, and I suspect performance will only degrade further when there’s heated action going on all around you.

The game is cross-save, so you can use your same character. Trophies will also transfer between versions, so you will have two lists but any new trophy you earn will pop once you transfer the save.

It's not going to run as well as the console version, but I won't mind being able to level up and do some quests on the Vita.

For a handheld port, it looks quite good imo.

Biggest shock from the PSX show is that Sony remembered that the Vita exists. It got more attention here than any other game show from the last year combined

Anything worth noting, though?

Probably the most noteworthy is Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming to it. In addition, these were also announced

Bastion
Broken Age
Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition
Gang Beasts
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Shovel Knight
Super Time Force Ultra
TowerFall Ascension
The Banner Saga

http://www.ign.com/ps-vita

No Suikoden 3? Should be able to run that, granted it's not as popular as 1 and 2.

I am seriously considering getting a Vita regardless, but I would love to see some PS2 JRPG's on the system.

Radiata Stories, the Grandia games, etc.

the vita is worth it, if only for playing the ps4 while someone else is using the tv.

Does the Vita TV/PS TV run carts or is it all digital?

I'm posting this here because I couldn't find a direct thread for my question:

I just bought a used PS Vita recently and I've been playing Guacamelee on it. I was overseas when I was playing, so even though I already had a file on PS3 and started a fresh file. When I finally got back I wanted to jump back onto my original file, so I uploaded to the cloud, downloaded, and I was good to go. Here's where the problems started.

On the Vita I got as far as being able to turn back and forth into a chicken. I had no issues. After I loaded my PS3 save from the cloud, when I change to a chicken I can't change back.

Now I've done some research and learned that before a DLC costume pack was released people were having this same issue about a year back and an update had fixed it. As far as I can tell my game is up to date and it only happened when I used the save from the cloud on the Vita.

I don't know what to do. Has anyone come across this?

Several more reasons not to bother with a Vita. Sony is killing support for several apps in the coming months

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/28/sony-to-end-ps-vita-support-for-maps-near-and-youtube

Hm, if not for the software they are still actively trying to get for the Vita, I would say this is a sign that it's soon to be done. I wonder why they're doing that. If I understand correctly, it's the companies behind the apps who pay for the licensing, not the other way around, right? Unless they are just trying to cut costs via server space? Guess that's possible.

Hm, if not for the software they are still actively trying to get for the Vita, I would say this is a sign that it's soon to be done. I wonder why they're doing that. If I understand correctly, it's the companies behind the apps who pay for the licensing, not the other way around, right? Unless they are just trying to cut costs via server space? Guess that's possible.

I have no clue but I thought Sony paid the companies license fees to get their apps onboard. I could be wrong but I thought Sony decided to stop paying bc the userbase isnt big enough to justify the costs. To me as someone that doesnt own a Vita, it defintely doesnt look like they are invested

It's worth pointing out that the PS TV can only run patched Vita games. A lot of games are still unplayable. Wikipedia has a list of all compatible games.

Vita games like MGS HD Collection, The Wolf Among Us and Gravity Rush for example will not play on the PS TV.

I have no clue but I thought Sony paid the companies license fees to get their apps onboard. I could be wrong but I thought Sony decided to stop paying bc the userbase isnt big enough to justify the costs. To me as someone that doesnt own a Vita, it defintely doesnt look like they are invested

Hm, I may very well of had it backwards then. I thought it was like games where companies have to pay licensing fees to the platform holder, but if apps are operated differently, then this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"