Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMAZING movie! Improved upon the first in every way! Keep it going, guys!

Just got back from the midnight show!

Here's my verdict: Not as good as the first and not without flaws, but still one hell of a ride. It's a lot of fun.

A VERY solid 8/10 from me. :)

I saw Iron Man 2 in a moderately packed digital theater (about 250-300 people) with near flawless picture and sound quality.

Trailers shown:
-Robin Hood (decent reaction)
-Shrek Forever After (some WTF responses)
-A-Team (good reaction)
-Eclipse (A lot of funny mixed responses)
-Super 8 (some WTF responses)
-Inception (good reaction)
-The American (some WTF responses)

I saw Iron Man 2 in a moderately packed digital theater (about 250-300 people) with near flawless picture and sound quality.

Trailers shown:
-A-Team (good reaction)

I didnt get the Super 8 trailer....:csad:

I didn't get Twilight thank God... Airbender got a phenomenal response. Could by a runaway mid summer hit. Super 8 just had everybody going "WTF".

I'll probably go see the movie again at an alternate location and report back any differences in trailers and reactions!

Trailers shown:
-A-Team (good reaction)

Just out of curiosity when you say reaction do you mean cheering and stuff? Our audience don't do that sort of thing down here.

Saw the midnight showing tonight and had a good time. I give it a solid 8/10. I think it's on par with the first. I enjoyed the character moments as much as the action if not more.

Just got back. The movie was awesome, gave it a 10.

Man, I can't wait for the next couple years!

hit the midnight showing, totally didn't sleep last night (had to be early his morning for work) but, totally worth it... :word: :up:

just got back and this is my opinion......

It was a blast! The negative criticism surrounding this movie is borderline laughable and largely is unfounded. Is it as good as Iron Man 1? In a short answer, yes. Is it better? No, they are about equal.

This movie had it's flaws, sure. But they are so minor and forgiveable in my opinion that it shouldn't ever warrant this movie being ranked alongside SM3/Superman Returns. The biggest flaws were Vanko's fight scenes being short, the plot slowing down in some places, and the lack of an epic score on part with TDK/Spiderman.

Now, the good.

Tony Stark/Downey--just terrific, once again. Every scene he is in makes this movie great. Those slow scenes I was telling you about? He makes them interesting and fun. Some may complain about the lack of Iron Man, but in all reality---Stark is the more interesting side of the coin. His snarky lines made this the best comedy, so far, of the year.

James Rhodes/Cheadle--some questioned if he was going to do well in this role. Yes, he is excellent and better then Howard. To put it simply, he was a bad ass in this flick. If Stark is James Bond, then War Machine is Rambo. Held his own on screen with Stark and put him in his place at times. Also, busted out some funny lines. His battle scenes sealed the deal for me.

Senator Stern/Shandling--a somewhat forgotten member of the cast. Every scene he was in was comedy gold. The ending of this movie wasn't as iconic as TDK, but it was a hell of alot more fun. Stern, being forced to award Stark/Rhodey medals (ala Leia at the end of Episode IV) was brilliant.

Happy/Favreau---another somewhat forgotten piece of this movie. He does more in this movie and has great chemistry with Stark. Some of his scenes were rather hilarious. He even got a nice fight scene, which was suprisingly good!

Vanko/Rourke---wasn't used fully to potential, but a rather enjoyable villain. He looked in control in every scene and his fights were pretty cool. Very short, as noted, but very sweet too.

Hammer/Rockwell---probally the zaniest character in the movie. Loved him in this movie. Sure, not a menacing villian but he was fun and his scenes were always great. Hope he comes back as a slimier rival of Stark. Came close to stealing the show.

Pepper/Black Widow--pretty much what you got in the last movie with Pepper. Good, stable character. Black Widow is what you expected from the trailers. Eye Candy. Her fight scene, longer and cooler then expected, was a highlight.

Sci-Fi---one of the draws to this franchise is the sci-fi element. Stark builds a particle accelerator in his basement, creates his own element, has futuristic toys, weapons that are pretty badass, and amazing computer systems. Loved the robot theme and the military-industrial complex undertones.

Stark Expo--excellent setting for this movie. Just beautiful, crisp, and enjoyable. Loved the throwbacks to the real World's Fair. I really enjoyed the music, which was similar to " theres a great big beautiful tommorow" at the Carosel of Progress at Tommorowland/Disney. Love that part of the park, therefore the Stark Expo was up my alley.

The Battles---Stark v Vanko on the racetrack was short, but cool. Stark v Rhodey with fists was unique and fun. Stark/Rhodey v drones/Vanko was badass. Black Widow/Happy vs goons was also suprisingly cool. I figured we saw everything in the trailers.

Others--liked SLJ as Fury in this. Same goes with Coulsen. Both put Stark in his rightful place. Thor after credit scene was epic, despite already seeing it on Youtube. Racetrack fight was a great setting. Opening part of the movie was perfect, aside from a Wolverine-esque Vanko scream. The military aspect, once again, was pretty interesting. Glad Starks robot assistant is back. Black Widow looks good!

9.5/10!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]10 stars for me. it definitely had a lot more comic book geeky moments. the best after credits ending of any movie. RDJ was of course...brilliant. but rockwell as hammer was fascinating. rourke's russian accent was good. as for having cheadle as the new rhodey...hell ya! the senate hearing in the beginning had the theater in a riot. as a die hard marvel fan...next summer can't get here quick enough....and this movie rocked. got the bad taste of clash the titans out of my mouth. marvel studios hit another home-run. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]rockwell was perfect in his role. all the ladies in this movie, even the piece from vanity, were all hot. favreau, unlike other directors who mess up sequels, just kept everything simple. he didn't change the formula. comedy was well done and the action was better than the first. he also kept the story manageable. where others failed, favreau introduced a lot of characters and made them all work. black widow especially. i do wish favreau would've gave us a hint at the end about the mandarin being the next baddie. i will be seeing this again a few more times this week. brannagh, johnston, and whedon better bring it..because favreau set the bar.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Saw it earlier. Definetely give it an 8 out of 10. I liked a lot, but it had it's problems. Liked it about as much as the first film. However, since I didn't read too many spoilers, I managed to feel the film was kind of predictable. Still liked it all a lot though. And the after-credits scene :awesome:

I was surprised. This film was actually really good. Slightly slightly less than the first one. But still overall good. I never felt that it was crowded. Sometimes odd pacing. And still the music, they need to hire someone else. But great movie.

I give it an 88% A great way to kick off the summer.

Question, Did Whiplash want to get caught ??? Because when Stark was interrogating him in prison Stark was mentioning all he had to do was tweak some parts of the weapon to make it more powerful...

I remember the comedic lines more than the action scenes and serious plot...but all in all to some it up 8/10
Downey Jr is love.
Kick-Ass was the better film outta the two (I didnt like the KA comic all that much but the movie was...surprising)
But both films are great!

p.s. the action scenes were short and...didnt get me off the edge of my seat goin WOW like the first...lacked that alot...
disappointing a lil :(

Great movie, I loved it. Probably not as good as Iron Man, but without the shadow of the first film, this one was more than enjoyable. I'll admit the middle is a bit bogged down, but that pales in comparison to an excellent first act and a good third one.

I remember the comedic lines more than the action scenes and serious plot...but all in all to some it up 8/10
Downey Jr is love.
Kick-Ass was the better film outta the two (I didnt like the KA comic all that much but the movie was...surprising)
But both films are great!

p.s. the action scenes were short and...didnt get me off the edge of my seat goin WOW like the first...lacked that alot...
disappointing a lil :(

Same here. I think it had to do with the fact that in Iron Man 1 it was our first time seeing him in action so it was just great to watch for the first time. Although people complained about the action in the first movie I never had a problem with it. Yeah it could have been done on a grander scale but that's what they did in the sequel and as you said, it didn't wow me really.

One problem I had was when IM was flying during the night scenes like in the very beginning, it was cut a bit too fast and all you could see at times was him as a blur. At first I thought it was because of the night time backdrop but then I remembered when he was flying at night in the first movie you could see him perfectly.

Also anyone saying Cheadle was better than Howard is out their damn minds.

Agreed.

I like Cheadle and do think he is a good actor but being a comic fan and with Iron Man being my second favorite character I just didn't think he was the right fit for Rhodey. I didn't think Howard was all that great either but I do prefer him over Cheadle for this character.

From the comics, Rhodey had this tough ass attitude for the most part. I don't think either actor reached that but the way he was written in both films might have something to do with that as well.

A second viewing dropped my rating from 6.5 to 5. Ultimately, the film begins as being at something but doesn't end up being about nothing at all. Technically, Tony regressed as a character by the end of this film. He's basically back to where he was at the beginning of the first film...which isn't a good thing.

The whole middle section of the film got worse when I thought of this little nugget; why didn't Vanko tell Hammer about the problem with the palladium in Tony's chest RT? With that information, Hammer and Vanko could've easily gone after Tony in the middle of the film (a second act action sequence that really tested Tony and made his quest for the new element even more urgent).

Not only that, but at one point Hammer is talking to Vanko on the phone while playing golf with Senator Stern, who can clearly hear who he is talking to. Stern should've had Hammer arrested on the spot. Vanko terrorized a crowd full of people and then is presumed dead...and yet Hammer openly talks to the guy while playing golf with a US Senator?

Indicative of the sloppy writing in this flick. It's just not as good as the first film. That film had a narrative drive, even if the film didn't reinvent the wheel. This film starts with a narrative drive and just completely abandons it in the middle of the film. Just not good.

As an aside, that Inception trailers was spectacular...good gracious, it was glorious.

WOW...I stayed away from any possible spoilers for the past two years. I stayed away from pics, videos, tv spots and these boards. The only thing I knew about IM2 was based on the trailers. And can I say after finally getting out of it a half hour ago--it was TOTALLY WORTH IT.

For me Iron Man 2 was pretty much on par w/ the first one...until we reached that final 20 minutes. That brought the film to a whole other level. As I was going through the movie a part of me began questioning the lack of action up until that point. But once we got to the sequence with the drones all the way to the final confrontation with Whiplash, those criticisms quickly dissipated. That was some of the coolest action sequences I had ever seen in a comic book movie. I was in awe.

And don't get me started on that Thor after credits scene, the crowd went nuts.

Overall i'd say 9.5/10 (I gave IM a 9/10)

It was just a blast. :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"