Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it yesterday and loved it
they took everything that was good about the first movie and went full force

Downey - He IS tony stark.... i couldn't see anyone else in the role

Cheadle - Enjoyed his performance more than i thought i would, given i was a bit disappointed that howard got replaced

Scarlett - DAMN :awesome:

Paltrow - really love her as pepper, she has such a natural and realistic chemistry with stark

Rourke - another great performance by mickey, he reminded me alot of ledgers joker, just in the way whenever he came onscreen he had your attention, he was scary, creepy and calculating :word:

Rockwell - My favourite character in the movie was hammer, even though he was a jerk, there was something hilarious about him, loved the dance at his presentation lol

Jackson - He was born to be nick fury :awesome:

The Story: A worthy sequal to the first movie, i liked the use of a "sins of the father" theme between vanko and stark

and the after credit scene was just a pure geekasm :awesome:

10/10

Sooooooo,is there any unintentionally funny moments or lines in the movie?

Saw it yesterday and loved it
they took everything that was good about the first movie and went full force

Downey - He IS tony stark.... i couldn't see anyone else in the role

Cheadle - Enjoyed his performance more than i thought i would, given i was a bit disappointed that howard got replaced

Scarlett - DAMN :awesome:

Paltrow - really love her as pepper, she has such a natural and realistic chemistry with stark

Rourke - another great performance by mickey, he reminded me alot of ledgers joker, just in the way whenever he came onscreen he had your attention, he was scary, creepy and calculating :word:

Rockwell - My favourite character in the movie was hammer, even though he was a jerk, there was something hilarious about him, loved the dance at his presentation lol

Jackson - He was born to be nick fury :awesome:

The Story: A worthy sequal to the first movie, i liked the use of a "sins of the father" theme between vanko and stark

and the after credit scene was just a pure geekasm :awesome:

10/10

This.

The criticisms of sagging in the middle are fair, but this was a Tony Stark movie as much as an Iron Man one. A real 'Self Destruction Of:' kinda tale that was played out very well.

My review

I LOVED the first Iron Man film. I'd put it in my top 5 favourite comic book adaptions of all time. It's up there with the likes of The Dark Knight, Watchmen and Kick-ash, so there was no doubt I was going to be super excited for Iron Man 2. bad place, the trailers sold me and I even bought an Iron Man 2 poster for my bedroom my wall. I'm a ****ing nerd....

Plot

The plot is perfect in the sense of how the story should go after Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr) confessed he was the man behind the suit to the world. The government is the first to step up, declaring that Stark should hand over the suit as it's a weapon and a treat to the U.S. Also, Ivan Vanko, wants revenge because he believes his father was robbed by Tony's Dad, Howard Stark, who once worked with Ivan's father, Anton, on the arc reactor.

The Good

Robert Downey Jr delivers another fantastic performance as Tony Stark, who is witty, charming and grows a larger ego with all the extra found fame. Downey really carried this film on his back and made things work on so many levels. One of the most positive things about the first Iron Man film was the chemistry between Downey and Gwyneth Paltrow(Pepper Potts). That chemistry returns and made a lot of the scenes worth watching. And I'm not a guy that likes romantic garbage in my comic book films, but these two just work off each other so well, it's appealing.

The new villain introduced is Whiplash/Ivan Vanko, played wonderfully by Mickey Rourke. Whiplash is a cold man who unleashes himself while pulling no punches. He is one bad mother ****er with silly hair. Another new player to the game is Black Window/Natalia Romanova(Scarlett Johansson) who does enough to show how much of a badass she is. You don't find out much about her, just that she's a spy for SHIELD, which I didn't mind too much because I saw enough of her *wink* to keep me pleased.

Another thing this film does right is action. The action is much better this time around due to War Machine and the many droids built by Justin Hammer and Whiplash. I felt the first film lack adversaries, which didn't give a lot of room to see the suit in action and it's functions. Of course with action like Iron Man, you need amazing CGI. ILM delivers top notch effects which don't disappoint.

The Bad

I'm not going to lie, I walked out if Iron Man 2 disappointed. Not Spider-Man 3 disappointed mind you, because if it was, I would've caused quite a stir by falling to the floor, crying like a little bastard. The major problem with Iron Man 2 is the pacing, it's all over the place. You get some action maybe 30 minutes into the film, then no action till the end and the time it gets to that awesome action scene, you just don't care because you weren't buzzed up for it. Nothing gets you pumped, nothing builds you towards the action, nothings screams ''If this scene kicked so much ash, then the last battle must be outstanding''. Don't get me wrong, the last battle delivers, but nothing before that got me excited for it.

The first Iron Man had it's fair share of comedy, and so does the sequel...A little too much in fact. Comedy comes from scenes that shouldn't be funny and because of this, you can take what your seeing seriously. One scene in particular as a drunk Tony in the Iron Man suit at his birthday, which is funny, I liked it, but then the scene should of been serious after something occurs, but the comedy just keeps piling on. Justin Hammer(Sam Rockwell) is another villain who is introduced, just comes off a dumb comedic character. You wonder how this guy is even up there with Tony Stark to being with.

I was looking forward to War Machine so much and he came off as failure in my eyes. First off, there wasn't enough time given to James Rhodes(Don Cheadle). We learn absolutely nothing new about him. All I know is, he is a Colonel at the Air Force. Due to the lack of character, I had a lack of interest for the man behind the new suit of armor.

Overall

Iron Man 2 was worth checking out, it's solid and you should go see it if you enjoyed the first film. I might go see it again sometime down the line....Or Kick-ash for the 5th time. I mean, there is nothing rememberable about Iron Man 2 and that is where it falls flat on his metal ash.

Score-Barely scrapes by with a 7/10

www.filmspunk.com

Enojyable, but flawed. Bad editing and pace, some poor CGI, other than AC/DC's, nothing memorable about the music. On the plus side, the cast is great, Happy gets things to do.

It's Ok, but not even close in quality and tone with the first one...

Wow, this is not your average action film. The frenetic energy of Robert Downey Jr. can almost make this film as exhausting as watching Disney's Pirates sequels, and Jackson's King Kong film. However, unlike those movies, Jon Favreau manages to keep the characters as strong as possible with a conservative number of great action scenes. You will notice many parts from the trailers aren't in the final cut. The airdrop scene with Pepper kissing the helmet, and the Black Widow trying out a repulsor blast aren't there. But that's okay.

Every supporting character delivers something to the story. Returning characters like reporter Christine Everhart and Agent Coulson are very memorable. (Check out the after credits scene. :cwink: )Nick Fury, Black Widow, and War Machine stand out. But the full history of SHIELD's agents aren't revealed. If you're wondering if this Nick Fury fought in WW2, they don't say. But you will get the idea that Fury, and maybe Natasha, are much older than they appear. :cwink:

Don't think for a moment Tony Stark gets less of the limelight. This film was about him. He's trying to build a legacy out of the embattled Iron Man image. They didn't bring back the original actor of Howard Stark, but that's okay. We get fun newsreels that show more of the kind of man Tony knew, and what he didn't know. So Dark Knight can suck it on the daddy issues and vigilante justice. Iron Man proves he is a genius who shows the value of hard work. He is a hero who brings humanity's future to question. Mickey Rourke's character doesn't get enough lines, but his presence makes up for it as the bitter shadow of the past. I can write volumes about Sam Rockwell's performance but that would take too long.

I can't wait to watch this again. I give it a 9/10.

Wow, this is not your average action film. The frenetic energy of Robert Downey Jr. can almost make this film as exhausting as watching Disney's Pirates sequels, and Jackson's King Kong film. However, unlike those movies, Jon Favreau manages to keep the characters as strong as possible with a conservative number of great action scenes. You will notice many parts from the trailers aren't in the final cut. The airdrop scene with Pepper kissing the helmet, and the Black Widow trying out a repulsor blast aren't there. But that's okay.

Every supporting character delivers something to the story. Returning characters like reporter Christine Everhart and Agent Coulson are very memorable. (Check out the after credits scene. :cwink: )Nick Fury, Black Widow, and War Machine stand out. But the full history of SHIELD's agents aren't revealed. If you're wondering if this Nick Fury fought in WW2, they don't say. But you will get the idea that Fury, and maybe Natasha, are much older than they appear. :cwink:

Don't think for a moment Tony Stark gets less of the limelight. This film was about him. He's trying to build a legacy out of the embattled Iron Man image. They didn't bring back the original actor of Howard Stark, but that's okay. We get fun newsreels that show more of the kind of man Tony knew, and what he didn't know. So Dark Knight can suck it on the daddy issues and vigilante justice. Iron Man proves he is a genius who shows the value of hard work. He is a hero who brings humanity's future to question. Mickey Rourke's character doesn't get enough lines, but his presence makes up for it as the bitter shadow of the past. I can write volumes about Sam Rockwell's performance but that would take too long.

I can't wait to watch this again. I give it a 9/10.

You sir, encourage me.

You sir, encourage me.

There is a lot more I could write about the production designs but I felt I've mentioned enough. Iron Man makes a funny joke about Hammer's hardware, which aren't named after the yellow Mandroids. I'm not picky about the CGI because at this stage of film, it's hardly important to me anymore.

Don't believe me? When you've watched the original Italian Job (1969) and Behold a Pale Horse (1964), today's level of CGI and action fights are surperficial points.

Last edited:
Is there even an Iron Man theme?

At this point,why not just buy the rights from Black Sabbath and do an orchestral version of his Iron Man song? (Keep the guitar riff though)

A good movie, but I am still disappointed with this one. Not on a Spider-Man 3 level though. The reason for the disappointment is because it did not surpass the first film. The first film was more emotional and more relatable. The first film also has better character development for Tony and better characters. The scenes and the pacing moved better in part one. Iron Man 2's act one was promising, but it went downhill from there.

The only thing Iron Man 2 is better at: the effects and the action.

Still worth seeing in the big screen.

Iron Man: A-
Iron Man 2: B

Why is Marvel forcing this Avengers stuff down our throats? It alienates fans of just the Iron Man concept. I personally don't like the team up of superheroes from other mythos. It's contrived, and too corny for my taste. Why couldn't they make a solid stand alone sequel and then once they establish all these characters then tie them together. That way people can pick and choose what they want from their continuity of their characters. The Avengers beings its own thing if people wanted. Sounds like this movie would've been worlds better alone with out all the Nick Fury / SHIELD crap injected into it.

The reason there's all this Avengers stuff is because they're building up to the Avengers movie.

Fury's offer was supposed to give Stark a way out of the dilemma that Congress was putting him in. Also, his father co-founded SHIELD, a clandestine government operation. It's implied Howard was also involved in the Super Soldier project. That much history meant Fury wanted Tony to work for the government as a 'superhero'

Last edited:
Just watch it and I totally love it ! Acting and the plot are great.
I give it a perfect 10

By the way, I got a question. Where is the Fin Fan Foom easteregg ? I think I miss it.

The reason there's all this Avengers stuff is because they're building up to the Avengers movie.

Fury's offer was supposed to give Stark a way out of the dilemna that Congress was putting him in. Also, his father co-founded SHIELD, a clandestine government operation. It's implied Howard was also involved in the Super Soldier project. That much history meant Fury wanted Tony to work for the government as a 'superhero'

Question is did it really need to be there? This is an Iron Man movie and the majority of people are paying to see exactly that. If Marvel were bad place bent on the whole linking everything to Avenger they really needed to incorporate it better than what they did coz it feels like it's was just thrown in there for the sake of it, or at least do it in a way that was more subtle so it didn't effect the film. It doesn't do anything but help slow the movie down.

I've read a few reviews now which were very critical of Rockwell's performance. I don't know what the bad place they were watching. He was effortlessly cool, sleazy, funny and pathetic at the same time. Possibly the best part of the movie for mine.

Rockwell was good, they could have made him a little more menacing though.

How does Roarke's menace come off, JMC? Not asking for specifics but just an over-all impression. Thanks.

Is there even an Iron Man theme?

At this point,why not just buy the rights from Black Sabbath and do an orchestral version of his Iron Man song? (Keep the guitar riff though)

Nope, no IM theme, nothing memorable at least.

How does Roarke's menace come off, JMC? Not asking for specifics but just an over-all impression. Thanks.

Let me say this, the first act Rorke is great, he feels like a genuine threat to Iron Man. Unfortunately after that he doesn't do a bad place of a lot else in the film, the character becomes secondary, he no longer becomes a threat to IM or to anyone else for that matter. I said in my review a few pages back that Whiplash was a wasted opportunity, and it's a damn shame because the character could really have been one of the great superhero movie villains had they continued with what they started.

Oh, ok. I was mainly refering to the character/acting rather than the actual plots/schemes of the villain. Like in [blackout]TDK[/blackout], I loved the acting and characterization of [blackout]Two-Face and the Joker[/blackout] but thought the things they did much of the time didn't make a lick of sense.

I'll put it this way, Whiplash/Roarke is at his best during the first 40 mins.

Question is did it really need to be there? This is an Iron Man movie and the majority of people are paying to see exactly that. If Marvel were bad place bent on the whole linking everything to Avenger they really needed to incorporate it better than what they did coz it feels like it's was just thrown in there for the sake of it, or at least do it in a way that was more subtle so it didn't effect the film. It doesn't do anything but help slow the movie down.

I think it builds on the legacy subplot of the film.

His father was involved in many things that have further complicated Tony's life. Learning about SHIELD's past and his father's last words convinced him he could do something good with them.

His father was involved in many things that have further complicated Tony's life. Learning about SHIELD's past and his father's last words convinced him he could do something good with them.

Exactly. It was not at all tacked on. Sure, it helped forward the Avengers and SHIELD a little bit, but it was always relevant to the IM2 story and theme of legacy.

But it takes over way to much time of the film. The whole second act detours to accommodate that subplot whilst at the same time killing any threat Whiplash may have posed against an already depleted Tony Stark. I mean there's no action at all for nearly an hour, and the story line in place is not interesting, it just comes across as artificial. I'm seeing this film through Joe Average glasses here because I'm not an Iron Man comic fan, it may work for the comic fans, doesn't work for me and if I'm honest I can't see it working for the public. I'll just say on a side note you IM and Marvel fans deserved better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"