General Trek Talk Official Star Trek Discussion Thread

Sentry2005

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ok, I did a search, and I couldn't find any official Star Trek thread, which seemed unusual for a show (regardless of if you enjoyed it or not) had a massive impact on society.

Now, i'm not a major fan of the franchise, but I did love Deep Space Nine. I was torn between making an Deep Space Nine thread, or a general Trek thread; in the end I decided to go with general Trek, simply so people can discuss anything they want to about the universe in it.

So yeah, let this thread be open, and if it dies a death of non response... well that's what Enterprise did, so it would be in character :p

I'll start off with a simple, what was your favourate Trek question; TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT??

Obviously i'm gonna go with DS9, simply because I loved the characters, the feel and design of the show. Not to mention the Defiant kicked ass :)

My favorite was TNG, even though I was 3 when it ended.
I started watching reruns, and I loved it. DS9 was really really good. I also liked Voyager. I watched the latter two's original runs. TNG is the best, though. :up:

I don't care for Star Trek that much, anymore, but I love the movies and watch them when they come on.

I loved all series (yes, even Enterprise, not counting the horrible finale episode), but TOS will always remain my favorite. I watched TOS back in the seventies (the date it aired for the first time in Belgium) and was immediately hooked.

TNG was imo the peak of Star Trek success.

For seven years they had a solid interesting cast doing what Star Trek does best ..... exploring!

Patrick Stewart was the core of the show and made it tick ... his acting was effortless and powerful.

If every movie had been as good as First Contact we would still be 'boldly going'

TOS, TNG and DS9 were all awesome series. Everything after that was a mess.

Warhammer said:
My favorite was TNG, even though I was 3 when it ended.
I started watching reruns, and I loved it. DS9 was really really good. I also liked Voyager. I watched the latter two's original runs. TNG is the best, though. :up:

I don't care for Star Trek that much, anymore, but I love the movies and watch them when they come on.
You realize I was 6 when TNG started. This is like when I play Counter strike with a 14 yearold who goes your 20 something and still paly games WTF! *sigh*

Anyway. I liked DS9 the best. I also liked Enterprise. When they weren't doing 45 minutes of foreshadowing episodes.

Sometimes I wonder how much better the show could have been if Connor Trinneer (Trip) had been cast as Captain Archer instead of Scott Bakula. The episodes that focused on Trip were always better than the ones that focused on Archer. I blame the actors involved.

Haha, just looked it up... I was one when TNG started :s

Sometimes I wonder how much better the show could have been if Connor Trinneer (Trip) had been cast as Captain Archer instead of Scott Bakula. The episodes that focused on Trip were always better than the ones that focused on Archer. I blame the actors involved.

it's a shame that Bakula will be associated with the crap episodes of Enterprise instead of the good ones. The guy is a legend :)

It's not that Scott Bakula is a bad actor (he was great in Quantam leap, which I enjoyed). It's that his style and the kind of performance he brings to the table were wrong for a Star fleet captain in the mold of Kirk. He would have been perfect playing a captain like Picard or Sisko, but not Kirk.

lars573 said:
It's not that Scott Bakula is a bad actor (he was great in Quantam leap, which I enjoyed). It's that his style and the kind of performance he brings to the table were wrong for a Star fleet captain in the mold of Kirk. He would have been perfect playing a captain like Picard or Sisko, but not Kirk.

Bakula is an 'afternoon movie' actor at best.

Leap suited his style ... likeable, easy going, but Trek needs more. I understand WHY they chose him ... Archer is based on square-jawed NASA pilots .... but his acting is limited.

lars573 said:

I get where you're coming from. He shouldn't have been cast as the first captain Starfleet sent out on an mission of exploration. He'd have done better if the producers had decided to carry on in the 24th century. Good actor, wrong century ;)

I started re-watching the six episode arc at the start of DS9 season 6 today... I forgot how good it is :)

livrule said:
Bakula is an 'afternoon movie' actor at best.

Leap suited his style ... likeable, easy going, but Trek needs more. I understand WHY they chose him ... Archer is based on square-jawed NASA pilots .... but his acting is limited.
He's one of those actors that can't play against his acting strengths. The starfleet captains have always been part manager and part leader. They are managers when their character isn't central to the episodes plot. Leaders when they are. In the manager role Archer was good. As leader he looked, out of place somehow. With his borw furrowed and his teeth kind of clentched he looked like a muppet (my mom first pointed this out and it's true).

Then there is the whole issue where they tried to recreate the Kirk/Spock bantering realtionship with Archer and T'pol, with a dash of sexual tension. And it seemed sooooo forced. I never believed for a second that T'pol would have anything to do with that dork Archer, paun-far speeking. Then they pared her with Trip and it worked great.

lars573 said:
Then there is the whole issue where they tried to recreate the Kirk/Spock bantering realtionship with Archer and T'pol, with a dash of sexual tension. And it seemed sooooo forced. I never believed for a second that T'pol would have anything to do with that dork Archer, paun-far speeking. Then they pared her with Trip and it worked great.

I didn't really like the character of T'pol. She struck me as Seven of Nine Mk. 2; nice to look at, but next to zero back story or direction except to wear as skin tight clothes as humanly (or vulcanly/borgly) possible.

In Enterprise I much preffered Ensign Sato, who was beautiful while being well characterised. In Voyager, I preffered Torres to Seven, because I liked the turmoil created by her half kingon, half human back story, even if it was a slight change and rehash of the Worf story from TNG.

Look at me going on, in the first post I said I wasn't much of a fan, but it seems like I have an opinion on all the shows :s lol, oh well :D

lars573 said:

You know, this reminds me somewhat of the huge 'shipping wars back at the TrekBBS board... Those in favour of the Archer/T'Pol 'ship were constantly bickering with those in favour of the Trip/T'Pol 'ship. And they're still at it...
Luckily, I had no preference one way or the other.. But some people got banned there because of it. I sincerely hope we won't see that happening here..;)

DS9 was my favorite, TNG was good, but the single serving episodes started to bore me after a while. That's why I like DS9 better. It had a good mix of overall continuity, while maintaining the single serving episode status quo.

I thought DS9 had me by the balls when the Odyssey was Komikazie'd by the JemHadar. Then they had that Klingon invasion happened, and we saw that DS9 was now a battlestation (after years of it being a hunk of junk). Then they did the Sacrifice of Angels, uber trek mano a mano, world war three, apocoliptic 700 vs. 1200 fleet battle bonanza. I was locked after that. The show had fulfilled all my trek desires, while maintaining a coherent and interesting plot. That's why DS9 gets the number 1 spot.

lars573 said:
You realize I was 6 when TNG started. This is like when I play Counter strike with a 14 yearold who goes your 20 something and still paly games WTF! *sigh*

Anyway. I liked DS9 the best. I also liked Enterprise. When they weren't doing 45 minutes of foreshadowing episodes.

:( .

TOS all the way. No crew can compare to this one's. Kirk's passionate though a bit over the top soliloquies, Spock and Bones ongoing arguments (DeForest Kelly is still one of the best actors in all of the Star Trek franchises), constant Shakespere refferences, deep philosophical plots that mirrored the issues of the day, intense battle music (I always find myself humming that tune whenever I witness a fight break out). Plus for a show done in the sixties and a limited budget they did pretty good with the special effects.

List of my favorite Trek series by number:
1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. ENT
5. VOY

DS9-It was the Dominion War that put DS9 over for me. It was also the show that best utilized its ensemble cast. I also liked the shades of gray.

TNG-I just enjoyed this crew better. It was the first Trek crew I really watched and they grew on me. Despite the bland, perfect human syndrome on TNG, the cast was good enough to find ways around that.

TOS-Loved the spirit of the original show. Also the color schemes and the feeling that many of the shows were about something larger or greater. The FX weren't all that, but the stories often made me forget about the sometimes cheesy FX.

However, it was the movies that really drew me into TOS and Star Trek in general. That TWOK is still gripping after twenty odd years, and the Undiscovered Country remains one of my favorite movies period.

ENT-I really hated this show in the first two seasons. But it started to grow on me with the Xindi arc. And I liked what they did in the 4th season, even though there was a lot of continuity cramming going on. Despite all that, I think ENT really was the Trek show with the least developed characters, and its promising premise was even more unfocus and wasted than VOY's.

VOY-I have never really been able to get into VOY. The cast was okay, the production values were solid, and they were pretty good with doing action eps. But the whole show just felt empty to me.

The cast wasn't as good as TNG's, and the show wasn't as weighty or meaningful as DS9. Plus, with competing shows like B5 and SAAB out there, VOY seemed even more lightweight.

I also didn't like what VOY did to the Borg. Jeri Ryan is a talented actress, but I got so sick of hearing about magical Borg nanoprobes in almost every episode she was in that it was the final nail in the coffin for me regarding VOY.

Warhammer said:
Try this on. I was 3 when G1 Transfomers show first aired. I saw the G1 movie in theatres when I was 5. My mom had to explain death (when Optimus Prime dies) to me then and there.

DarKush said:
List of my favorite Trek series by number:
1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. ENT
5. VOY
DS9-It was the Dominion War that put DS9 over for me. It was also the show that best utilized its ensemble cast. I also liked the shades of gray.

ENT-I really hated this show in the first two seasons. But it started to grow on me with the Xindi arc. And I liked what they did in the 4th season, even though there was a lot of continuity cramming going on. Despite all that, I think ENT really was the Trek show with the least developed characters, and its promising premise was even more unfocus and wasted than VOY's.

VOY-I have never really been able to get into VOY. The cast was okay, the production values were solid, and they were pretty good with doing action eps. But the whole show just felt empty to me.

DS0-Yes, I agree with you. I also loved the Dominion Wars, but what killed it for me was all the Prophet stuff. So when I have a chance to see a re-run, I stay away from anything that has to do with that (or anything to do with the two kids, Sisco's son and Quark's nephew).

ENT-started kind of slow, but it started picking up at the end (Xindi arc), but I think that by the time the Xindi arc was on they had already decided to cancel the show.

VOY - Wow, I disagree with you on this one. It's the only one that I bought the entire series on DVD for. Don't get me wrong, I hated what they did to the Borg (my favorite characters), but that I have to blame on FIRST CONTACT. Why did the Borg have to have a queen? I liked them better when they ALL thought and acted as ONE. Then there's the fact that they had so many more adventures, but to end the show, they were never made. My favorite episode was the season finale "Scorpion", how I hated waiting for the summer to end to watch the second part. That, IMO, was the best cliffhanger Star Trek had to offer (beating out "Best of Both Worlds" of TNG).

I was secretly hoping for a Dominion/Borg war. Maybe Voyager could have found a worm hole into the Gamma Quadrant, gone through it while being chased by several Borg shapes and use the DS-9 worm hole to get back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Spidey Rules 2 said:
DS0-Yes, I agree with you. I also loved the Dominion Wars, but what killed it for me was all the Prophet stuff. So when I have a chance to see a re-run, I stay away from anything that has to do with that (or anything to do with the two kids, Sisco's son and Quark's nephew).

ENT-started kind of slow, but it started picking up at the end (Xindi arc), but I think that by the time the Xindi arc was on they had already decided to cancel the show.

VOY - Wow, I disagree with you on this one. It's the only one that I bought the entire series on DVD for. Don't get me wrong, I hated what they did to the Borg (my favorite characters), but that I have to blame on FIRST CONTACT. Why did the Borg have to have a queen? I liked them better when they ALL thought and acted as ONE. Then there's the fact that they had so many more adventures, but to end the show, they were never made. My favorite episode was the season finale "Scorpion", how I hated waiting for the summer to end to watch the second part. That, IMO, was the best cliffhanger Star Trek had to offer (beating out "Best of Both Worlds" of TNG).

I was secretly hoping for a Dominion/Borg war. Maybe Voyager could have found a worm hole into the Gamma Quadrant, gone through it while being chased by several Borg shapes and use the DS-9 worm hole to get back to the Alpha Quadrant.

except for the finale, and the episode where they found the other federation ship, I agree, Voyager was utter crap. There was something about it that just bothered me. I'm pretty much in agreement Darkush. And please, Best of Both Worlds was the TV greatest cliffhanger EVER, not just in the trek world. (that is, the greatest that had a conclusion to it)

Enterprise the last season was good, all except they took stories they had written for previous seasons, and recycled them, and made them cooler. Kind of a waste. I think the show would have been cooler if they had stuck with the machine guns and missile launchers.

Spidey,

A Dominion/Borg war would've been cool as hell. I really like that idea. A Borg/Dominion contact was hinted at in one of the DS9 Relaunch books, but unfortunately it wasn't explored in detail.

Other than that, we will have to agree to disagree about VOY. I'm with Superfreak in that I thought VOY basically sucked.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a few VOY eps.-"Scorpion Pt. 1 & 2, " "Unity", the Seska episodes, the Hirogen/WW2 holodeck eps., "Year of Hell", "Equinox". "Dark Frontier" was okay too. And there were several others.

However, VOY was a chore to watch for me. I didn't care about any of the characters. Not only did they ruin the Borg, they ruined the Q, and their own creation-Species 8472.

Other promising alien adversaries-Krenim, Voth, Vidiian, Swarm, Vaadwaur-were often mishandled, while we got heapings of the Klingon retread Kazon. I often wondered what the VOY creators were thinking.

When the TNG guys realized that the Ferengi weren't as menacing as they thought, they created the Borg and Cardassians. DS9 took the Cardassians, fleshed them out. But they didn't stop there. They also created a kickass anti-Federation in the Dominion.

VOY's creators focused on the wrong villians in my opinion. Reusing the Borg instead of building their own bad guys and adding to the Trek universe with some really cool, different, and interesting adversaries.

And I really didn't like their finale. Things were wrapped up way too neatly. Janeway blantantly violated Federation law because a few of her crew died. Well, guess what, dealing with death is part of a captain's job...even for the one's close to you.

Every other captain had to learn how to deal with it, but the way Adm. Janeway conducted herself was selfish and childish. If maybe the future had really been bad, with the Federation under the control of the Dominion or the Borg or something, I could understand Janeway's decision. But there wasn't enough at stake for my taste.

Then, the missiles that can destroy a Borg sphere/cube as easy as pie, that was crappy. Same with the Batmobile-like armor plating. Oh gee whizz cool! Yeah, right. It totally made the Borg pathetic.

The ship-Voyager-was also too clean. Outside of a few mentions there didn't seem to be a sense that they were really on their own in a dangerous part of space. With BSG-we see sweat, grime, and discussions and searches for resources. There's more of a sense of desperation.

VOY always had a well-lighted ship and clean uniforms. They could even use the holodeck.

And the Maquis totally folded to Janeway far too quickly, taking away a lot of interesting possibilities for internal conflict and drama. That's one of the reasons I liked Seska. I hated when she left the show. She was VOY's best villian IMO.

Lastly, Superfreak I agree with your statement about ENT's tech. If it had been up to me, I would've had the crew using guns with bullets, or laser guns at least. They would also have used nuclear warheads to be more consistent with the TOS ep. "Balance of Terror".

The transporter would still be in the testing stages and not aboard the ship. There would be no main view screen.

Also, I wouldn't have the Klingons in the show period. It would help set the show apart. So would an all human crew, which is what I would've also thought would've been interesting to see. Instead, we largely got more of the same.

I'm a fan of the movies 2, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10. I also liked watching and still watch ST: TNG on SpikeTV and G4.

lars573 said:
Try this on. I was 3 when G1 Transfomers show first aired. I saw the G1 movie in theatres when I was 5. My mom had to explain death (when Optimus Prime dies) to me then and there.

Dang, that sucks.

Jw, were you mad at me in that post above because I said TNG was my favorite, even when it ended when I was 3, or did you mean that all of the good stuff ended when we were little kids?

Kable24 said:
I'm a fan of the movies 2, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10. I also liked watching and still watch ST: TNG on SpikeTV and G4.

The only Trek films I don't like are 1 and 3.
4 and especially 5 were cool because they were funny.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan. My number one fav is Enterprise, followed closely by Voyager and TNG. DS9 is a good fourth. TOS was okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"