Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Thorin has not "come over to Bilbo's side." He and Bilbo still think very differently about the world. Rather, at the end of the first film he has accepted that Bilbo has something to contribute to the party, that he is actually courageous, and that he is a loyal friend. This is a big development for Thorin to be sure (and happens around that point in the book as well with the dwarves being impressed by Bilbo's escape from the Goblins) but it does not obviate the differences in how Bilbo and Thorin view the world, differences which are destined to bring them into conflict.

The film already has all this set up with the prologue speaking of gold "poisoning the mind." Thorin will fall to the same temptations that Thror did before. Its the natural current / flow of the story and I think changing it would really be a massive disruption to the narrative just to make Thorin more "likeable."
Frodo and Thorin are not comparable. Frodo was under the influence of an outside force. He was essential ly a crack head. Thorin is a dick in the book just because he is a dick. He has ano outside force acting on him until the Arkenstone/treasure shows up which is only for a very small part.

Thorin through out Part 1 continuely *****es about Bilbo and then at the end he clearly says he was wrong about Bilbo and hugs him. That is the last beat of the film. To open the next film with him once again being a dick and *****ing and moaning and continue that throughout Part 2&3 is shotty character development and makes for an unlikeable protagonist which is needed in these films. This isnt a hardboiled drama where the protagonist can be unlikeable. Its fantasy and we are supposed to root for Thorin.

thorin was very likable he was pretty much like wolverine a likeable dick lol

thorin was very likable he was pretty much like wolverine a likeable dick lol

Not for me personally. I didnt find him all that likeable. The vibe I get from Thorin is one of arrogance and entitlement. Two traits I despise. Regardless of him being an heir to a throne. Doesnt excuse those traits. Wolverine doesnt come across as arrogant nor entitled. Plus, Jackman brings charisma and humor to the character. Two more things lacking in Thorin. Right now im onboard with Thorin because he admitted his error in judging Bilbo, but if he goes back to "my **** dont stink" Thorin towards Bilbo in Part 2 its gonna be hard for me to connect with him.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, Marvolo. You're misinterpreting the analogy between Frodo and Thorin here, which has nothing to do about their similarities as characters but rather the issue of changing endings for redemptive purposes. You're clearly willing to throw out one of the biggest themes of the book to make Thorin more Hollywood palatable. I'm totally against that sort of thing.

I also don't believe a character has to be perfect to be likable, just interesting. But again, this is a difference of taste between us I suppose. You don't like arrogance and entitlement in a character. To that I have to say oh well. It doesn't bother me personally, and I find Thorin's arc in the book to be really interesting.

Thorin was likable enough, though his *****ing and moaning about Bilbo did get tiresome.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, Marvolo. You're misinterpreting the analogy between Frodo and Thorin here, which has nothing to do about their similarities as characters but rather the issue of changing endings for redemptive purposes. You're clearly willing to throw out one of the biggest themes of the book to make Thorin more Hollywood palatable. I'm totally against that sort of thing.

I also don't believe a character has to be perfect to be likable, just interesting. But again, this is a difference of taste between us I suppose. You don't like arrogance and entitlement in a character. To that I have to say oh well. It doesn't bother me personally, and I find Thorin's arc in the book to be really interesting.

He didnt have an arc in the book. You said it yourself. He gets no real redemption until his deathbed. Like I keep saying 9+ hours of *****ebag will outweigh 5 minutes of redemption. Its too unbalanced. Also I didnt say Thorin needs to be perfect nor did I say "hollywood palatable" I said likeable. You know the thing audiences like in the people they root for. Arrogant *****e towards other races who dont deserve it isnt very likeable.

And the Frodo/Thorin thing doesnt work because they did in fact change the ending. In the book Gollum dances and falls. Chance rules the day and destroys the ring while Frodo lays there. Jackson made a conscious change and had Frodo participate. Frodo's desire and greed for the ring causes its destruction and nearly his own. Jackson explains the change in the commentary. So Jackson will change things like this and given Jackson's track record it isnt going out on a limb to say he will do the same for the end of this trilogy. Jackson greatly altered Faramir to the point of unrecognizability. Jackson also changed Denethor and his motivations greatly. He changed Aragorn's characterization as well and countless others. Jacksons track record speaks for itself.

And im cool agreeing to disagree. Im just here for the discussion. Cant agree all the time. Would be a boring place.:)

Last edited:
Him being a **** is half the reason I didn't really like him beyond his awesome action scenes (or when gets owned by Azog, sucked in mother ******).

I actually thought Azog was awesome and hope he'll be in the next movie.

I liked Thorin- I don't need my mythic heroes to be every-men to whom I can relate. That is what Bilbo is for. I didn't like the emasculation of Aragorn in LOTR either.

I dunno, his entire speech with Balin where he states how much he appreciates his companions at the start, the whole "Loyalty,a willing heart, I can ask for nothing more." really gave me a sense of appreciation for the guy. He was entitled yet he showed genuine concern and loyalty to his friends, that in itself is a redeeming trait.

Thorin was likable enough, though his *****ing and moaning about Bilbo did get tiresome.

Yeah Thorin's attitude towards Bilbo was annoying. My Aunt sitting next to me asked if he was a jerk in the book too, I said I don't remember...

I got my own copy of the book for Xmas so I need to get on that...

Finally, FINALLY saw this, and absolutely loved it, Jackson has done it again for me. I thought he did superb with LOTR, simplified it when he needed to but kept the most important and influential story beats.

He did the same here, perfect cast again, with Sir Ian again being the standout, although Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield really shone as well. But the acting was strong across the board. And the action was as good as ever, all of the characters get a moment to shine, and, unsurprisingly in all honesty, Gollum almost steels the movie, great performance from Serkis once again.

Most of my complains were about the pacing, some things from the book were a bit TOO stretched out, mainly the beginning and some of the talking scene's, although to be fair I was never really bored. Overall this was a great initial addition to the LOTR trilogy and made me strongly anticipate the next 2 movies, 9/10 for me, I have a feeling that will increase with repeat viewings.

Last edited:
Before Thorin embraces Bilbo at the end, I was thinking here we go again. Even though Bilbo did a good deed he'd get roasted for risking his own life and being reckless or something to that effect. But instead he showcased genuine warmth. Thorin values competency a lot, haha.

Thorin was awesome. I don't think he was arrogant or entitled. He lost almost everything and his people had been displaced. He seemed like a character with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Many of the other Dwarfs are younger and don't know the type of danger that awaited them on the quest. They think the quest is just a bit of fun.

Thorin thought Bilbo was more of a hinderance than help and only brought him because Gandalf insisted. Thorin was a little harsh but by the end he had earned his respect and trust.

Anyone seen the 2D version? Does it look good, or do you constantly see where it's supposed to be a 3D scene?

thorin was a pure bad ass i absolutely loved the shot of him walking out of the tree and walking towards azog with fire around him

epic!!

tumblr_mge10u_NVSX1r3aoa6o1_500.jpg

Thorin was awesome. I don't think he was arrogant or entitled. He lost almost everything and his people had been displaced. He seemed like a character with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Many of the other Dwarfs are younger and don't know the type of danger that awaited them on the quest. They think the quest is just a bit of fun.

Thorin thought Bilbo was more of a hinderance than help and only brought him because Gandalf insisted. Thorin was a little harsh but by the end he had earned his respect and trust.

Agreed, I thought Thorin was one of the standouts of the movie, he had lost a lot in his life and this obviously meant due to his heritage he took the quest a lot more seriously than the others. He didnt want people that would hinder them on reclaiming the kingdom of Erebor, his birthright, so you can understand him being a little grumpy and angry at times.

The fact that he warms to Bilbo was all the better, and as far as I remember, it was done exactly like it was in the book as well, the movie ended at the perfect time, even though I didnt want it to end!

Is that fan made?

If not I'm disappointed in Smaug's look. Mainly because they really hyped up the design they came up for him as being unique.

It's fan made, that Smaug design was from an art piece.

qg7Wk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"