Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Fellowship of the Ring (director's cut) last night after watching "The Hobbit" twice already, I had to refresh my memory since the last time I seen the original trilogy was when it was still in theaters. I love the references to "The Hobbit." We even see the 3 trolls who turned to stone lol.

I like how The Hobbit tied into FOTR with the set-up. The main gripe I had was the differences in how Bilbo found The Ring.

In FOTR, we are shown that wearing a blue cloak, he stumbles across the ring in the dark with his hands saying "What's this? What's this?" and puts in his pocket then Gollum screams in the background.

In The Hobbit,
we are shown that wearing a RED cloak, he uses Sting as a flashlight to pick it up after seeing it fall from Gollum's posession. He doesn't even bother to say "What's this? What's this?"

Was it really so hard to just reshoot the same scene as close as possible with Martin Freeman? G** damn it, I hate retcons! And seeing how Jackson directed the same movie, I don't understand why he had to go back on he had established!

That part didn't bother me at all. It was clear from the beginning they'd have to shoot it differently as the version in FOTR was so condensed. It makes no sense for Bilbo to pick up the ring and Gollum to scream immediately after, with Bilbo reacting to the scream.

Yeah, I saw that more as just part of Galadriel's story condensed to imagination when telling it.

It's like telling any story. What you tell to someone doesn't exactly turn out the way it happened in real life.

^This one's got it.

Hobbit is an excellent, fun film. Certainly not the "worst."

I still haven't seen this movie. Some of my friends say it sucks, but I still want to see it. I love the LOTR trilogy, is it a film you guys would recommend watching?

I still haven't seen this movie. Some of my friends say it sucks, but I still want to see it. I love the LOTR trilogy, is it a film you guys would recommend watching?
Having seen it 3 times myself (once in 2D, twice in 3DHFR) and enjoying it more each time (and I loved it the first time I saw it) ... I would say yes.

I've seen it 3 times and enjoy it more each time.

Just don't expect it to be very similar to LOTR. It is very tonally, thematically, and in some cases visually different. This reflects the differences between the books. Also expect to see some added material that isn't in the "Hobbit" but is from the LOTR appendices.

My full review is in my signature if you are interested.

I'd recommend it. Its my favorite and I think the best film of 2012, I'd even say its the best film in theaters right now.

I really enjoyed "The Hobbit" more than the original trilogy, just seemed more fun to me anyways. More entertaining. The original trilogy had great visuals but it seemed like everybody was trying for an acting oscar, very melodramatic. "The Hobbit" has more humor and is just plain more fun in my opinion. Loved it.

Hobbit is an excellent, fun film. Certainly not the "worst."
Agreed. It's better than I'd thought it'd be given the feedback I read before going in. I'd rank it last out of all the Middle Earth films released up to this point, but it's not a Schumacher.

Collectors Models
http://eaglemoss.com/hobbit/default.aspx#

the_hobbit__whole_vision__by_arronyym-d5dmiqw.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. It's better than I'd thought it'd be given the feedback I read before going in. I'd rank it last out of all the Middle Earth films released up to this point, but it's not a Schumacher.

Same here, I was actually considering not going to see it due to some bad reviews and the odd bad piece of WOM, but I am so glad I went to see it, loved it, one of the best of 2012 for me.

This new official pic (new to me, at least) was posted on the official movie Twitter account. They didn't say which movie it was from but I suspect it is from the beginning of the next one, as Beorn gives the Dwarves ponies.

thorinnew.jpg

Hmm... interesting. Well it certainly was not in the film so I wonder if it is from the extended edition or from the beginning of the next film?

It would really be cool to have a "Hobbit Official Pictures No Discussion" thread to keep track of all this stuff!

Absolutely! The only part that felt tacked on was the Stone Giant sequence (I would've preferred we just saw them in the background duking it out while the Company sought sanctuary in the cave). I found it more impressive, in terms of visuals. The dwarven kingdom at the beginning is epic, and Gollum will, as usual, give you mood-whiplash.

Having seen it 3 times myself (once in 2D, twice in 3DHFR) and enjoying it more each time (and I loved it the first time I saw it) ... I would say yes.

I've seen it 3 times and enjoy it more each time.

Just don't expect it to be very similar to LOTR. It is very tonally, thematically, and in some cases visually different. This reflects the differences between the books. Also expect to see some added material that isn't in the "Hobbit" but is from the LOTR appendices.

My full review is in my signature if you are interested.

I'd recommend it. Its my favorite and I think the best film of 2012, I'd even say its the best film in theaters right now.

Absolutely! The only part that felt tacked on was the Stone Giant sequence (I would've preferred we just saw them in the background duking it out while the Company sought sanctuary in the cave). I found it more impressive, in terms of visuals. The dwarven kingdom at the beginning is epic, and Gollum will, as usual, give you mood-whiplash.

Well that does it. I know what I'm going to see this weekend! Thanks for the replies everyone.

:word:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"