Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the scope of the trilogy had started overwhelming Jackson? He certainly had a lot of balls in the air. I can respect your disappoint toward changes to source, though. Speaking of the books, how did Gondor look in those? It's been years since I read them. I thought it would've been cool to have Minas Tirith surrounded by the broken ruins of old towns and farms; a cemetary with Minas Tirith as a decadent mausoleum.
Gondor was predominantly rich farmland. The area all around Minas Tirith was sprinkled with small villages and farms. They were very much alive up until Mordor's army came strolling in.

Gondorians saw a vision of the future and decided to make a run for it, years before the event. They uprooted their houses, killed their goats and cows and brushed their grass to such perfection that it was like they never existed in the film version.

Gondorians saw a vision of the future and decided to make a run for it, years before the event. They uprooted their houses, killed their goats and cows and brushed their grass to such perfection that it was like they never existed in the film version.
:lmao:

Like the Russians when they saw Napoleon coming. :D

The greatest trick Gondor ever pulled was convincing the world they didn't exist.

The greatest trick Gondor ever pulled was convincing the world they didn't exist.
Perhaps it is like Tokyo-3 in Evangelion. Gondor disappears underground when an attack comes.

I always got the feeling that PJ loved Rohan and didn't care nearly as much about Gondor, except when it came to Aragorn. He lavished so much care and attention on Rohan but about all Gondor got was a really nice rendition of Minas Tirith. Everything else about its depiction onscreen was dodgy at best. A shame because I think John Noble and David Wenham woud have really nailed the book versions of Denethor and Faramir if they'd been given the chance to act them out.

He didn't lavish that much care on Rohan. Though it's inhabitants were well realised, the place itself was another barren New Zealand plateau. Did the Rohirrim make their beer from grass?

No. They imported it from Mordor, because the taxes are way lower than Gondor. Though Sauron was a leader of venomous ideals, the economy of his land was beyond peer. The Sauron Orc youth movement was especially effective.

I like the Goblin King's song. It should have stayed in the film.

Shall we discuss the petite bourgeoisie of the Shire?

The Sackville-Baggins'? It's a pity they weren't in the movie. Though, as "villains" of a sort, PJ would probably have given them horns and spiky armour.

The Sackville-Baggins' were bloody annoying. I am happy they were reduced to voices in the EE. The only entity more annoying than them in the texts was Tom Bombadil. When I read the Fellowship, I usually skip past the chapters involving him, as reading them supplies a headache turns up the irritation dial.

The Sackville-Baggins' were bloody annoying. I am happy they were reduced to voices in the EE. The only entity more annoying than them in the texts was Tom Bombadil. When I read the Fellowship, I usually skip past the chapters involving him, as reading them supplies a headache turns up the irritation dial.

I can't stand Tom Bombadil either. I've read his chapter once and it was a chore. Havent done it again.

I'm willing to agree that TB doesn't belong in a blockbuster movie. I like both him and Goldberry, however, for the sense of muddy, folksy paganism they bring to the story.

Anybody seen the extended edition yet? Has the extra padding made the film more well rounded or overstretched, even beyond what it was in the theatrical cut? Some films with a long running time that has to cover a vast array of narrative have a peculiar habit of being actually paced better when it is longer.

I haven't seen the extended version yet, but I've watched a handful of the scenes on YouTube. I read a review saying that the scenes don't really add much to the film, and judging from what I saw, that may be correct. Still, I'm actually looking forward to the special features more than the actual extended edition itself.

The appendices are great, more than 9 hours. Lot's of great stuff there.

The EE is my least favourite EE of the 4 Middle-earth movies so far, there's some good stuff (Bilbo in Rivendell and the extended Gandalf and Elrond conversation before going to the white council, the market scene) but there's some cringworthy scenes (the dwarves bathing in the fountain, goblin town song, it reminded me of the awful Jedi rocks song in ROTJ special editions and the editing of some the scenes are very badly done, Peter should fired that Jabez Olssen guy and bring back the FOTR or TT editors )

I wished they had included the High Fells scenes in the EE, i still wonder where they will put that scene in DOS

Last edited:
Martin Freeman poster looks awful, somebody fire the photoshop guy who did that poster

pmhCNVY.jpg

Seems to me like they're emphasizing less Bilbo in the campaign.

Eh, that poster looks unfinished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back