Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question Is This Better Then Transformers films.

HowardStark I respect your devotion to this film, but when you post stuff like this it becomes hard to take it seriously.

If you are fine with the film, why do you need to play defensive line for it every time someone says something that isn't the utmost praise?

You guys have been talking about the importance that the movie didn't make 100 mill or plus deal for 2 days now. It may seem in defense but my main point is that substance is what I wanted from The Hobbit. The film is not perfect but nor was it not a great film.
I will move on from the topic and if seems like i am defending too much well sorry. But some movies I get that way about.

How about we talk about Gandalf and The Lady Of Light. Seem to me like there was something there when Gandy was younger.

Yep.....that was the point of my posts.

Too be fair, your original post on it didn't exactly scream peace, love and fun. :woot:

Some are getting really defensive about it. I don't think anyone mentioning that it might have been slightly disappointing are saying it did terrible or any such thing. Just putting it into perspective. The need to discount any such idea is what has kept this alive. I don't think any of my original points were unreasonable.

Awe no the movie has its flaws and the biggest argument was the Bilbo leaving Bag End was a bit slow. To me watching it. Seemed actually like the right amount for time. I mean they had dinner, did the contract and Bilbo said no and then so on. I will agree Azog is an odd looking CG character. My problem with him was not his CG work but that he never got off his Warg that much.

I may be the only guy but I never thought Azog was CG at all.

How long till we get a full look at Smaug?
For some reason I did not remember seeing Smaug at the end until Saw the movie again. Smaug looks amazing thus far. It should be epic scenes when he is baring down on Lake Town.

But only now are we hearing the "Oh it was never going to make THAT much!" excuses. Pardon me while I laugh.

I didn't think The Hobbit would outgross the trilogy... way before the movie came out, let alone finished. It was the fact that the book was more kid-oriented and prequels (at least the first installment) don't do as well as regular sequels do.

But the main consensus between moviegoers is that they liked, but didn't love TH:AUJ. Time will only tell if it will hold well in the following weeks.

I have never had the inclination to read any of the boxoffice sites. For me, there is no need. I personally do not care if a movie makes billions or a buck ninety-eight. They will not make me start liking nor start disliking a movie. I have loved many a movie that made next to nothing, and hated some box office kings. Whether or not someone can prove that one film has made more money than one made years before is simply a matter of mathematics...and depending upon if all of the variable were properly inputted, you can get any answer.....so it means nothing to me. I liked it no matter the amount it made.

The point of my post was....it's a pity that in the way of so many things in this day and age....the news that an an amount that was extremely high in anyone's reconning, is deemed not good enough by some. They can't simply say - wow, a lot of people liked this.....but instead say - meh, not as many as before.

The glass....is it half empty....half filled....or slightly cracked......

:applaud

I don't get the 'I-told-you-so' attitude either. Is there some cosmic movie force sending them a special cookie for being 'right'? And do they know that the people who simply enjoyed a movie, take the positive out of a box office report, and look forward to the sequels don't give a **** about the negativity spewed towards a movie they hated before they even walked into the theater?

The Hobbit is one of my favorite books, has been for years. I loved the movie. It was just fun. I started re-reading the book again when I got home. Yes, they are blatantly stretching the hell out of it to make three movies out of it...but I thought it was great.

I brought the hats I got at the Hobbit premiere to the movie. My dad and I took pictures with them and the poster outside the theater after the movie - which I posted on Facebook.

We had a great time. What's so wrong with that?

The Goblin King should have had more detail though.

I don't know how much more detail they could have crammed on that guy. That was definitely some of the best work I've seen.

I also just loved how expressive he was. The look on his face when he saw the Globlin Cleaver sword was priceless. Definitely the standout character of the film for me despite his short screen time.

Nah about a half that. i say we will get likely a trailer with the DVD Release or EE DVD release of Hobbit 1. I just hope we don't gotta wait til next christmas to buy the EE DVD set

Also Thranduil riding a moose was absolutely tops.

I don't know how much more detail they could have crammed on that guy. That was definitely some of the best work I've seen.

I also just loved how expressive he was. The look on his face when he saw the Globlin Cleaver sword was priceless. Definitely the standout character of the film for me despite his short screen time.
I thought it was bad cg work or maybe it was just that his double chin was just nasty.

Well that's the deal, IMO at least while the Goblin King was absolutely repulsive, he was damn well crafted. It took a lot of guts to feature him so prominently for so long in full focus.

How long till we get a full look at Smaug?

Probably the first trailer. Don't think they will do a magazine cover for that reveal. The question then becomes if they attach something to the end of the first film late in its run or do we have to wait for something like MoS.

Also Thranduil riding a moose was absolutely tops.

Too bad the elk wasn't very well done.

Yeah the elk wasn't quite up to snuff effects wise with the rest of the film but I didn't find it too distracting. I guess I was just too in loved with that overall visual to care. That and it didn't move that much.

I did love that they gave him something so different. Yeah he could of showed up on a horse, but nah, lets give him a bloody Elk!!! It will be glorious!! :D

I liked it for the same reason I was totally all for the bunny sled. Unfortunately the effects work on some of those bunny sled scenes, especially the chase across the plains with the wargs was really bad, a combination of some really bad composition and the whole thing looking way undercranked.

Benny Hill music will be added at the first opportunity.

Every time.

Every time someone says something they liked about the movie.

It has to be knocked down.

I just don't get it.

I myself am expressing my opinion of different aspects of the effects work and designs.

Goblin King! Fantastic

Bunny Sled! Awesome idea, not always well done.

These are whole set pieces and chase scenes we're talking about here, not nitty gritty details. If I ever start criticizing the way rocks look or something, please, be the first person to tell me to stuff it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"