Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time.

Every time someone says something they liked about the movie.

It has to be knocked down.

I just don't get it.

What I don't get is the complaining about commentary on legit and obvious stuff like the not so hot cgi. It wasn't great cgi. We still liked it. I mean come on, we aren't allowed to talk about it now?

Didn't hear a word of this before this opening weekend. It was nothing but how huge it was going to be and how it was going to clubber the December 3-day record by a huge margin. It was always going to take it from I Am Legend. But with all the bumps it had (3D, IMAX, adjusted costs of regular tickets plus more screens), it still only got past it by $7M... despite selling less tickets. That's not good. No way to spin that, especially considering how shockingly soft it's doing overseas.

Stubers (and Ed Douglas too) was one of the few to come out and say, "You know what, guys? The marketing sucks and I'm not buying these tracking numbers." And he was dead on. So again, he's an idiot? Stop.

But only now are we hearing the "Oh it was never going to make THAT much!" excuses. Pardon me while I laugh.

Totally absurd. Again, don't look at I AM Legend, look at Avatar. And no it was never going to make that much, just like Dark Knight Rises was never going to make 215M.

Quick question, does Nori have a single line other than singing along in these films?

I also thought that it was odd that Gandalf's introduction of the dwarfs by name, in the film was mostly just him mumbling to himself as they went on by. I'm not entirely sure all of them were ever referred to by name.

Every time.

I just don't get it.

I didn't care for it personally.

But others, including friends whose opinion I respect, did. Nothing wrong with that. To each their own.

I don't know how much more detail they could have crammed on that guy. That was definitely some of the best work I've seen.

It looked like he had a cancerous tumor on his face, rather than a regular double-chin. Really detailed and very convincing.

Every time.

I just don't get it.

My main problem with the film is the overall pacing. Had Jackson decided to trim down the narrative and stuff that didn't need to be explained (like many FOTR nods, two songs, and perhaps the whole mountains-fighting-each-other sequence), it would be a tight, engaging 135-140 minute film.

I really enjoyed The Hobbit, it just has more fat than I wanted.

Totally absurd. Again, don't look at I AM Legend, look at Avatar. And no it was never going to make that much, just like Dark Knight Rises was never going to make 215M.

TDKR certainly was never going to crack 200M but there was a wide recognition that it could of and probably would have done better than it did.

But I digress, I'm done with box office debates.

There are bunny sleds to analyze!

"Totally absurd" because you don't like it. Again, look at how everyone else over-blew its expectations. And now look at the spin including your own.

BTW this film is going to make more money than Dark Knight Rises, and you can take that to the bank. It's not going to sell as many tickets, but it will make more money. If it doesn't I will eat crow.

I'm calling 65-70M next weekend.

BTW this film is going to make more money than Dark Knight Rises, and you can take that to the bank. It's not going to sell as many tickets, but it will make more money. If it doesn't I will eat crow.

And that matters why exactly?

Not domestically it won't. Worldwide, sure.

"Totally absurd" because you don't like it. Again, look at how everyone else over-blew its expectations. And now look at the spin including your own.

Oh my good ness, it made 85 million dollars, and I don't like that? No what I don't like is people like Stubers who won't call DKR a disappointment when he overblows the prediction by 50 million dollars, but it's a disappointment when Hobit misses his predictions by 10 million. That's what you call a hypocrite.

Quick question, does Nori have a single line other than singing along in these films?

I also thought that it was odd that Gandalf's introduction of the dwarfs by name, in the film was mostly just him mumbling to himself as they went on by. I'm not entirely sure all of them were ever referred to by name.

I don't think Nori spoke outside of the banter.

I really liked Gandalf's roll calling to himself. That he mumbled made it more endearing in a way.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure WB would be overjoyed if it does...

Oh my good ness, it made 85 million dollars, and I don't like that? No what I don't like is people like Stubers who won't call DKR a disappointment when he overblows the prediction by 50 million dollars, but it's a disappointment when Hobit misses his predictions by 10 million. That's what you call a hypocrite.

You're spinning. Badly. And fanboying even worse. Let it go.

And that matters why exactly?

The film has legs and will make a ton of cash. Not a dissapointment, unless you go by the stupid theory that this is somehow a sequel and there fore MUST make more money than the previous (i.e. more ticket sales).

That's where people like Stubers don't get the nuances of Box Office. This film is 9 years releases after ROTK, it's a prequel, but it's a very different story, and anyone who has read the book knows that. The film isn't as "epic" of a story, it's a children's adventure story. It features nearly an entirely different cast save for McKellum, and some cameo appearances.

I look at Avatar making 77M and the expectation that this will make 23Million more are absurd. That film should have benefitted much more from 3D boost as it was "must see 3D". Jacson did some enhancements to 3D/IMAX but it's a fine film to see in 2D as well.

Are you reading what you are posting?

read below, it was never going to have the attendance that Return of the King did. This film does not follow the "sequel formula" that box office predictors like to have. New Cast, different type of story, not a sequel = not a typical sequel audience boost.

I'm done talking box office. When the film makes 400M domestic and a billion world wide, no one will call it a dissapointment.

The film has legs and will make a ton of cash. Not a dissapointment, unless you go by the stupid theory that this is somehow a sequel and there fore MUST make more money than the previous (i.e. more ticket sales).

That's where people like Stubers don't get the nuances of Box Office. This film is 9 years releases after ROTK, it's a prequel, but it's a very different story, and anyone who has read the book knows that. The film isn't as "epic" of a story, it's a children's adventure story. It features nearly an entirely different cast save for McKellum, and some cameo appearances.

I look at Avatar making 77M and the expectation that this will make 23Million more are absurd. That film should have benefitted much more from 3D boost as it was "must see 3D". Jacson did some enhancements to 3D/IMAX but it's a fine film to see in 2D as well.
But that is the thing, Jackson and to a bigger extent the studios have went out of their way to not only link it to the LotR as possible, but have tried to make it more like it. Jackson has very much gone for "epic" here, which is one of its problems imo.

If it makes more then RotK on the back of 3D, IMAX and inflation, what does that tell us exactly?

It wasn't his CGI its was The Goblin Kings Voice. He kinda sounded a but like that Wrestler called The American Dream Dusty Rhodes.

It wasn't his CGI its was The Goblin Kings Voice. He kinda sounded a but like that Wrestler called The American Dream Dusty Rhodes.

He really didn't sound like Dusty Rhodes to me.

But that is the thing, Jackson and to a bigger extent the studios have went out of their way to not only link it to the LotR as possible, but have tried to make it more like it. Jackson has very much gone for "epic" here, which is one of its problems imo.

If it makes more then RotK on the back of 3D, IMAX and inflation, what does that tell us exactly?
Not this again. You cannot keep comparing ROTK to The Hobbit. The Hobbit was not gonna equal the Original Trilogy. In my opinion Preqeuls just don't equal the same as an original trilogy. The sooner people except that The Hobbit can be good and not have to surpass LOTR money wise to be good or successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"