Official UFC Thread - Part 8

Didn't agree with the DJ/Cejudo decision. I thought on the feet DJ was landing the cleaner & harder shots throughout, it was close admittedly & it's not like DJ was lighting him up without reply, but I thought it was pretty clear he was getting the best of the majority of the exchanges.

Cejudo did manage to actually get him down twice & keep him there, but didn't actually manage to do very much other than keep him there. Caused next to no damage & I don't think he even advanced position once. I hate the takedown counting for so much in the eyes of the judges, not taking into account stuffed takedown attempts OR what actually happens after the takedown. Personally I thought at worst it was 3-2 to Mighty Mouse, maybe even 4-1 as 1 of those takedown rounds I thought other than actually taking him down Cejudo hadn't done enough.

TJ & Cody I was surprised with, I thought this time Cody would be a lot more controlled as he was against Cruz, but he just gets so wild throwing these looping hooks trying to take TJ's head off. I think that's the only thing that seperates these 2 is when TJ gets hurt he's more willing to shoot for a TD, take a step back or try to clinch, whereas Cody will just bite down on his mouthpiece & swing. Skillset wise, they are so close they could fight another 3 times & Cody could win the next 3. I hope this rivalry isn't over as I want to see a 3rd fight, Cody needs to go away & get a few wins though obviously.

Didn't agree with the DJ/Cejudo decision. I thought on the feet DJ was landing the cleaner & harder shots throughout, it was close admittedly & it's not like DJ was lighting him up without reply, but I thought it was pretty clear he was getting the best of the majority of the exchanges.

Cejudo did manage to actually get him down twice & keep him there, but didn't actually manage to do very much other than keep him there. Caused next to no damage & I don't think he even advanced position once. I hate the takedown counting for so much in the eyes of the judges, not taking into account stuffed takedown attempts OR what actually happens after the takedown. Personally I thought at worst it was 3-2 to Mighty Mouse, maybe even 4-1 as 1 of those takedown rounds I thought other than actually taking him down Cejudo hadn't done enough.

TJ & Cody I was surprised with, I thought this time Cody would be a lot more controlled as he was against Cruz, but he just gets so wild throwing these looping hooks trying to take TJ's head off. I think that's the only thing that seperates these 2 is when TJ gets hurt he's more willing to shoot for a TD, take a step back or try to clinch, whereas Cody will just bite down on his mouthpiece & swing. Skillset wise, they are so close they could fight another 3 times & Cody could win the next 3. I hope this rivalry isn't over as I want to see a 3rd fight, Cody needs to go away & get a few wins though obviously.
DJ kept landing those leg kicks, I figure the two rounds Cejudo had a full take down he would win. Probably won the last round because of the flurry at the end. I wanted DJ to do the push kick to Cejudo's leg that Till and Jones do. Especially after the wobble that Cejudo had in the first round. He could have just chopped it down like the guy did in the prelims. Hopefully he gets his rematch which probably won't be until January or Feb if his foot and knee heal up fast.

I don't think Cody and TJ are that close because the mental gap. Physically yes, but Cody gets the Alpha Male mentality when fighting him. Instead of trying to extend the fight he wants a one punch ko. He should fight Rivera and maybe another guy before getting a shot again. Cruz deserves the next shot since he beat TJ before and that was coming off of a long layoff. I could also see Marlon getting a shot.

I don't really have a problem with the decision. It was a close fight, but none of the rounds were blowout rounds. Even Round 1 was borderline 10-10.

As for Cody No Love, it's more like Cody No Chin, amirite?

DJ kept landing those leg kicks, I figure the two rounds Cejudo had a full take down he would win. Probably won the last round because of the flurry at the end. I wanted DJ to do the push kick to Cejudo's leg that Till and Jones do. Especially after the wobble that Cejudo had in the first round. He could have just chopped it down like the guy did in the prelims. Hopefully he gets his rematch which probably won't be until January or Feb if his foot and knee heal up fast.

I'd almost guarantee these guys will fight at the very minimum one more time, for me Cejudo shouldn't even be thinking about moving up immediately to fight TJ, he's suffering from Tyron Woodley syndrome. He needs to cement himself as the 125lb king, he didn't exactly steamroll the division to get back to DJ after his first lose to him, Benavidez beat him & Pettis beat Benavidez. Outside of Mighty Mouse there's 2 or 3 guys who are beating each other. At the very minimum he should have 1 more fight at 125lbs before any superfights are considered IMO.

I don't think Cody and TJ are that close because the mental gap. Physically yes, but Cody gets the Alpha Male mentality when fighting him. Instead of trying to extend the fight he wants a one punch ko. He should fight Rivera and maybe another guy before getting a shot again. Cruz deserves the next shot since he beat TJ before and that was coming off of a long layoff. I could also see Marlon getting a shot.

Exactly that's the main difference, mental, I think Cody clearly doesn't handle his anger well in the cage, when he fought Cruz, yeah maybe he didn't like him but it was nowhere near the level of hatred he has for the snake in the grass TJ & thus was able to stay fairly focused in there against him, whereas with TJ he just wants to take his head off with every punch & that's ultimately been the deciding factor in both fights.

I don't really have a problem with the decision. It was a close fight, but none of the rounds were blowout rounds. Even Round 1 was borderline 10-10.

As for Cody No Love, it's more like Cody No Chin, amirite?

I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me, that 10-10 rounds don't exist in MMA scoring. I've never seen one awarded in any promotion off memory & there have been some ridiculously close rounds, far closer than some of those last night. None of the rounds were blow outs though I agree & I suppose basically who gets the nod comes down to your own preference and what you look for. From my own perspective though I can't see how Cejudo got the nod, while I wouldn't be as ignorant as to call it a robbery, they do need to further refine how the fights should be scored, making it 5 judges as well further diversifying the knowledge in the judging panel would probably help in MMA as well given how much deeper it is compared to boxing or kickboxing.

10-10 rounds do exist. Straight from the UFC website:

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

The 10-Point Must System will be the standard system of scoring a bout. Under the 10-Point Must Scoring System, 10 points must be awarded to the winner of the round and 9 points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for a rare even round, which is scored (10-10).

They can be awarded. IMHO they should be awarded more when both fighters are being tentative and failing to progress or engage the fight.

I've thought about the five judges thing, but does that really help? I mean right now already we don't have enough judges that get scoring, so how does increasing the amount of judges help things out?

I would propose a review booth and also live scoring.

Cejudo moving up right now is ridiculous. He just beat Demetrious Johnson in a close fight. It was a split decision. Good on him to have goals, but let's see if you can defend the belt a couple times first.

Marlon Moraes has rightfully earned a shot at the title at bantamweight. That's who it should be. Not Cejudo. not Dominick Cruz. It should be Moraes.

It sickens me that almost all the media last night forgot about Marlon Moraes and all they care about are super-fights or a grudge match with Dominick Cruz.

10-10 rounds do exist. Straight from the UFC website:

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

They can be awarded. IMHO they should be awarded more when both fighters are being tentative and failing to progress or engage the fight.

I literally have never seen one ever awarded in the UFC & there have been some extremely close rounds throughout the years.

Personally, I don't like 10-10 rounds as I think they're a bit of a cop out choice, nor do I think they should be an actual thing in MMA, with only 3 - 5 rounds, if they are used as evidently they should be during closely contested rounds, there is going to be a very high rise in draws which is one of the most infuriating things about grappling bouts as a lot of them seem to end in draws & stalemates. It's different in boxing because there are so many rounds draws aren't as likely.

I've thought about the five judges thing, but does that really help? I mean right now already we don't have enough judges that get scoring, so how does increasing the amount of judges help things out?

I would propose a review booth and also live scoring.

Cejudo moving up right now is ridiculous. He just beat Demetrious Johnson in a close fight. It was a split decision. Good on him to have goals, but let's see if you can defend the belt a couple times first.

Marlon Moraes has rightfully earned a shot at the title at bantamweight. That's who it should be. Not Cejudo. not Dominick Cruz. It should be Moraes.

It sickens me that almost all the media last night forgot about Marlon Moraes and all they care about are super-fights or a grudge match with Dominick Cruz.

Judging needs to be improved across the board anyway, there are a lot of judges that simply don't know what they're watching. A lot of them seem to ignore leg kicks in particular & sometimes even body kicks as well, not to mention the grappling a lot of them have no clue what's going on. A guy can be taken down & be on the bottom, yet still be the offensive fighter or the one who's in more control of the situation. But my thinking with the 5 judges is you're less likely to get bad decisions I think the more people are judging, even moreso if the quality of judges is improved upon.

Agree 100% regarding Cejudo, had he ran through the division to get back to DJ beating 4-5 guys convincingly, I wouldn't have a problem with him going straight up. But he hasn't, he's actually 3-2 in his last 5 fights & his win over DJ was a debatable split decision. If there's a superfight, champion vs champion fight both guys don't need to basically not be 3-2 in there last 5 fights.

I think you need to clarify scoring system and improve judging before you start adding to the panel, B.

For starters, we need a SINGLE unified rule set. We can't have separate rules for separate states due to the state athletic commissions like we have now. That's ridiculous.

I think you need to clarify scoring system and improve judging before you start adding to the panel, B.

For starters, we need a SINGLE unified rule set. We can't have separate rules for separate states due to the state athletic commissions like we have now. That's ridiculous.

I think the scoring system is pretty clear, but as the 10-10 link you posted proves, it isn't being followed. It even states it there are supposed to be 10-7 rounds as well, which is something else I've never seen given in an MMA bout.. it's hard enough getting them to give 10-8's when a fighter has been slapped around & dropped a few times in a round. There are a couple other examples but you get the point, some of those judges just don't know what they're watching.

I agree 100% regarding rules, I find that ridiculous as well how things differ state to state in the US.

Considering the state of boxing judging even now, I have very little hope for MMA judging.

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contenders Series has been great......except when they signed Greg "Woman Beater" Hardy.

That was as good an MMA or boxing card I've seen in a while, violent would be a word I'd use to describe it. I watched from the prelims & I think in those 10 or so fights there was 1 decision.

I fancied Till to beat Woodley, but I did think it might have been a little too soon for him fighting someone as experienced as Woodley. I'll give Darren Till one thing, despite being dropped he's got himself a chin, that same sort of punch from Woodley has put his previous opponents on their ass & on dream street. Also ate half a dozen decent shots when he went down & still managed to remain composed. He looks like he needs to work on his grappling particularly from his back, it could have been because he was dazed, but I didn't like how comfortably Woodley was able to create distance on him to wind up some shots.

Also pleased to see Woodley show some stones & actually try to impose himself & his gameplan on Till, as opposed to his 3 previous title "defenses" in which things have been very much dictated by his opponents. Hopefully he fights Colby at UFC 230, that would clear some of the log jam at WW only really leaving Kamaru Usman outstanding who apparently was on call incase Woodley or Till fell out of the bout last night.

GOATs don't test positive for PEDs twice. He's an embarrassment.

I think he's 50% stupid, 25% ignorant & 25% unlucky. From all I've read for both of his PED failures & their actual verdicts, I don't think he's a cheat.. at least an intentional one anyway.

The problem with those verdicts is if they can't "prove it" and/or the fighter didn't admit it, they almost always go with the idea that the fighter didn't do it intentionally. I think Cormier said it best. He has spent a couple of decades being tested, he said he has been tested 70 times between MMA and wrestling, and he never had an "accident". This guy has tested positive twice, and if I am not mistake, at least one fighter in his camp has also done so. He's a cheat imo.

I think he's 50% stupid, 25% ignorant & 25% unlucky. From all I've read for both of his PED failures & their actual verdicts, I don't think he's a cheat.. at least an intentional one anyway.

He hould probably lay off the drugs and alcohol too.

The problem with those verdicts is if they can't "prove it" and/or the fighter didn't admit it, they almost always go with the idea that the fighter didn't do it intentionally. I think Cormier said it best. He has spent a couple of decades being tested, he said he has been tested 70 times between MMA and wrestling, and he never had an "accident". This guy has tested positive twice, and if I am not mistake, at least one fighter in his camp has also done so. He's a cheat imo.

I remember listening to one of Joe Rogan's podcasts with Jeff Novitzky & he was talking about the Jon Jones situation a while back giving his opinion, from what I can remember I believe he said that based on the amount of prohibited substances found in Jones & the tests both before/after the failure that came back negative, it would indicate that it was unintentional use + the test he failed was the one test he knew was definitely coming. Teammates passing or failing is somewhat irrelevant, I mean 2 or 3 of the Diaz brothers camp have failed tests for PED's & you couldn't use that as evidence that either Diaz brother has been on something.. other than weed.

USADA are only interested in the science, if you say you didn't take something intentionally, they'll ignore you, if you can prove it scientifically, then they'll listen & show mercy.

DC being on a high horse for cheating is amusing to me, given the fact he missed weight against Rumble & used the towel to shave 1.2lbs off himself. I wish Bisping or Florian would remind him of that next time he starts acting like he's Mr Squeaky Clean.

He hould probably lay off the drugs and alcohol too.

That's another point against Jones, I forget where I read it but someone pointed out something along the lines of that if you say yes to cocaine, you'll not say no to much else.

Screenshot-11254-e1533331722734.png

It's funny how MMA always seems to come back full circle to the grappler vs the striker. McGregor vs Nurmagomedov is Liddell vs Couture all over again.

My initial thoughts are this is going to be domination for one of them, I think either McGregor is going to pick him apart on the feet or Khabib is going to get hold of him & maul him on the ground. I don't see this as a tit for tat, back & forth bout.. at least on paper anyway.

Dana White must be licking his lips at the potential return of all his golden eggs McGregor, Lesnar & even Jones. There are 2 or 3 potential fights for all 3 of them that would be big.. assuming of course everybody can piss clean & people can avoid jail for assault & criminal damages that is.. :D

Trying to work out the times and if it's worth staying up or waking up. I've got F1 at 6am anyway. How far away is it to the fight now?

Enjoying the undercard a lot. I haven't watch a UFC card live before but it's been really fun.

Glad you are enjoying it man.
I find this more interesting than a boxing undercard unless I happen to know a bunch of the people on the card. So far here I've enjoyed every match. Do you watch them all live? I didn't always know when they were, didn't have access (now got BT sport), plus it's very late in the UK. But will have to get involved more often.

Looks like it's over for Pettis here. Needs to go for it in the last round but already tied up by Formiga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"