Official UFC Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Thread Manager, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

He’s a beast. His KO of Overeem was crazy too. Shame that Cain’s knee went in their fight.

2. killface

killface Registered

that askren knockout was as brutal as a knockout can get. As if it was timed to a tee

Lobo likes this.
  3. TheGuy

TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

My goodness Amanda Nunes!

4. TheGuy

Goat female MMA fighter bar none.

Lobo likes this.
  5. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

Nunes is a beast.

Lobo likes this.
  6. TheGuy

Rounds 1 and 2 to Santos.

7. TheGuy

Rounds 3 and 4 to Jones.

8. TheGuy

Not surprised with the decision. Santos significantly slowed down in the latter rounds.

9. B

B [insert witty comment]

Even for a good card, I refused to pay additional money on top of my BT subscription, which is already ludicrously expensive, for this UFC event. So not only am I getting inconvenienced by having to stay up till 3am for the PPV itself but I'm going to be charged £20 for it? **** outta here.

Only fight I've seen so far was Masvidal vs Askren & that's only because it can be compressed into a gif :D

Absolutely brutal KO, Askren is getting exposed really quick, has a very questionable referee stoppage win over Robbie Lawler in which he took an absolute beating in & then this brutal defeat.. he should have stayed retired.

10. TheGuy

****. Such an unfortunate event. No wonder why he was limping for most of the fight. This should absolutely set an automatic rematch in the future. :(

11. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Dana doesn't want to make a rematch I found it odd how quickly he dismissed Santos he said something to the effect of "Whoever judged that fight for Santos should never get to judge a fight again" which is sad and seems really unfair to me.

TheGuy likes this.
  12. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Forgot to post this earlier....

Well after another big UFC PPV done its time for another What's Next for the winner's and losers!

Winner's

Jon Jones

Well in a fight where nobody including Jones was giving Santos much chance at all he was pushed very hard and made to work harder than he had for quite a while. Split-decision or not Jones picked up another win and now legitimately has no viable challengers at 205. A rematch with Santos is likely after the Brazilian can get a win or two but right now nobody sticks out as a real contender at Lightheavyweight. Blachowicz is still surely one away, Reyes needs more experience and the likes of Rakic & Walker are still not ranked high enough. At Heavyweight the prospect of Jones facing the winner of DC vs. Miocic is incredibly exciting but Jones seems to be lukewarm on it at best.

Next Opponent Lightheavyweight: ???????

Next Opponent Heavyweight: Winner of DC vs. Miocic II

Amanda Nunes

Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate & now Holly Holm that's every champion in the history of the UFC's Bantamweight division that Amanda Nunes has now beaten. Its now undeniable she's the best fighter in women's mma history. She is now however in the odd spot of having no real challengers. A rematch with Cyborg at Featherweight seems to be an option although Cyborg contract issues seem to be holding that one up. The most likely next contender at Bantamweight is the winner of De Randamie vs. Ladd which takes place next weekend.

Next Opponent Bantamweight: Winner of De Randamie vs. Ladd

Next Opponent Featherweight: Cyborg Rematch

Jorge Masvidal

Masvidal's knee got him what looked like a very satisfying win, the record for the fastest knockout in UFC history and potentially the next title shot. At any other time Masvidal would be certain for the next shot but what muddies the picture a bit is the fact that Covington vs. Lawler is less than a month away and is also being tipped as a number one contender shot and champion Kamaru Usman is recovering from a foot injury so no exact timetable on when he will return is available. Masvidal seems set on sitting out until he gets a title shot and the way he got that last win, barring a world class finish/performance from Covington I think Masvidal gets the nod for the next shot.

Next Opponent: Kamaru Usman Title Shot

Jan Blachowicz

After a very shaky 2-4 start to his UFC run Jan seems to have finally found his footing. Now 5-1 in his last 6 his only loss coming to Santos and coming off the back of one of the biggest wins in his career Jan is set to take off he's now just likely one more big win from a potential title shot of his own which means it likely be one of the top three guys he has to go through in his next one if he wants to get that title shot.

Next Opponent: Anthony Smith

Michael Chiesa

Chiesa has now collected two wins over well known Welterweight's Condit & now Sanchez. His next opponent has to be somebody ranked in the top 15 as the whole easier match-up makes sense to see whether Chiesa can cut it at Welterweight but now we know. Chiesa now needs to get that top 15 win and start to insert himself in to the conversation if he ever wants to reach that title shot that he has already talked about so much.

Next Opponent: Neil Magny

Loser's

Thiago Santos

Well after almost all of the MMA media gave him absolutely no chance Santos took Jones closer to a loss than almost arguably anyone else he has ever fought before. And if it wasn't for a knee injury which was very evidently hindering him throughout the fight there's no telling just how effective he could have been against Jones. Santos will likely take a lot from this loss though as it must inspire confidence to know even when he's not at 100% he could last all 5 rounds with Jones in a competitive match-up.

Next Opponent: Dominick Reyes

Holly Holm

That TKO loss to Nunes marked the first time Holm has ever been stopped by strikes in MMA. It might finally be time for Holm to start thinking about hanging up the gloves as with her boxing, kickboxing and MMA combined she has had nearly 80 pro fights, will be 38 this year, fighting since 2002 and is just 2-5 in her last 7 fights. Not only that but with Nunes as the double champion her path to any other future title shot will more unlikely. With little real opportunity of recapturing the gold it would be better for Holm to call it quits instead of letting new girls make a name off of her.

Next Opponent: Retirement

Ben Askren

Well there's nothing that puts the brakes to a potential hype train like a flying knee right to the face (hell that knee Jorge landed just derailed the whole thing). Seriously nobody else on the card had such a dramatic shift in just much their stock dropped in one night other than Askren. He went from this undefeated guy who was realistically one fight away from a title shot to being on the receiving end of the quickest ko in UFC history. Ben's in a weird place now as he has retired before but I doubt he will want to close out his career like that.

Next Opponent: Darren Till

Luke Rockhold

Im not quite of the same opinion as Dana White that Rockhold should retire since lets be honest if he had beaten Jan convincingly well then Dana would be trying to make him sound like the second coming of Jesus but unfortunately for him he got cracked with a hell of a shot from Jan and that was that. He will be on the mend for a while now but once he is ready to return I suggest giving him someone on the fringes of the top 15 rankings, if the same happens again then maybe it is time to hang the gloves up.

Next Opponent: Mauricio Rua

Diego Sanchez

Saturday marked Diego's 30th UFC fight, having competed in the organization since 2005 and unfortunately he came up short against just a bigger, stronger and younger guy on Saturday. Sanchez shouldn't be too discouraged by this though as his days of being a top 15 competitor are now behind him and the UFC should use him more as range finder to test those guys to see if they are ready to make the jump up to the top 15.

Next Opponent: Li Jingliang

13. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

14. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Gonna guess it will come to nothing. There have been at least a half dozen times I thought Jones career was over but "Teflon Jon" always gets off with it somehow.

15. B

B [insert witty comment]

Sucked to see Edgar lose to Holloway & that's even me liking Holloway.

Maybe being generous I could have given Edgar 2 rounds, but in reality he probably only won 1.. if any. Max was just too big & long for him, was able to touch Edgar at a range in which he couldn't reply. Was a strong performance from Max as well because while Edgar's primarily a wrestler (arguably), he's a good striker, outstanding footwork & head movement.

Max is quite similar to McGregor was at FW, he's big for the weight class but not quite LW big & in addition he seems to always have a range & length advantage over a lot of the FW's & knows how to use it, the same as McGregor.

Volkanovski's probably next for him after beating Aldo, if Max gets through him fine I'd like to see him take a run at LW while the FW division sorts itself out.. maybe even vacating the FW title, try & put on a few more pounds to close the gap on some of the LW's.. most of which are big boys. Khabib & Ferguson for example, there is no way either of them makes 145lbs ever.. Khabib barely makes 155lbs. Even Poirier, I don't think hes capable of making 145lbs any longer, he's thickened up.

jolldan likes this.
  16. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Yeah it never feels good to see Edgar on the receiving end of a beating dude is one of the toughest guys to ever do it.

I agree with Volkanovski he has to be next. Definite clearest cut contender. I disagree on him making on a second run at Lightweight if he gets past him though. (Maybe eventually one day) But for now I would argue there's plenty of work left to be done at Featherweight.

1. Volkanosvki obviously first in line
    2. Zabit has won 5 in a row since joining the UFC and his latest win against Stephens show's he can hang with the legit top guys in the world. One more win and I don't see how you can deny him next crack at the Holloway/Volkanovski winner.
    3. Ortega/Chan Sung Jung now neither guy is one fight away from a title shot (especially with Ortega having already lost to Max) but both could very easily get right back in to the conversation with one win. Especially if a rumored match-up between them is made.
    4. Josh Emmett is the guy I think will eventually make it to a title shot. He hit a Jeremey Stephens sized speed bump but he's still 4-1 since dropping down with 3 finishes and that finishing ability means he's only maybe 2 wins away from a title shot.
    5. Future Prospects Allen/Kattar/Hall none of the three are ready just yet but with Allen a good prospect to takeover as England's premier fighter now that Bisping is retired, Kattar having already fought top guy & former title challengers and Hall who's undefeated since joining the UFC. All three have great potential for an eventual title shot down the line.

17. B

B [insert witty comment]

I don't think Edgar necessarily took a bad beating, we've seen him take a lot worse & yet on a couple of occasions somehow come back to win. What was sad being a fan of Edgar was just see him pretty much get nullified & controlled, that being said I'm glad it was to Max because I like him a lot as well.

See that's the thing, outside of Volkanovski I don't think anyone else you've mentioned is currently close to a title shot. Zabit is still at least 1 more victory over Aldo, Ortega or even Edgar himself before being a contender simply because while he's undefeated since joining the UFC, he only has 1 victory over a top 10 opponent & it was by decision.

In an ideal world I think any legit challenger must have at least 2 consecutive victories over top 10 ranked opponents & both must either be finishes via KO,TKO or submission OR you literally must beat the guy so badly it was never in any doubt, otherwise 3 decision wins.

18. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Yeah I can see giving him one possibly two rounds it just felt similar to the Aldo fights he was always in the fight just not able to match his opponents level.

Zabit gets that one more win I think they give it to him, I tend to agree that earning a title shot has become easier than before but in terms of him (Mainly also because everyone above him bar Alexander is coming off a loss) so he will have an even better case than usual. (And honestly I don't think they want to book him against Aldo or Edgar because in all honesty neither guy is likely fighting for the title again as long as Max has the strap, so what benefit do they have risk wise putting him against either of those guys.)

I like the two top 10 wins rule some more structure would sort out a few issues in terms of random title shots. I wouldn't say I agree with the need to finish a fight to progress up the ladder quicker while I always enjoy seeing a great KO/TKO or submission that's simply just not in the cards that often for some guys style and it takes away from the performance of some guys. MMA judges are notorious more messing up and some dummy making it a split decision instead of a unanimous decision could then be what keeps you from a title shot which I don't think would seem very fair.

Like Emmett's a good example he's currently on a 2 fight win streak with 2 finish's. Now say they decide to do Emmett vs Edgar next and Josh gets past Edgar in a very close extremely competitive fight I would agree with you he'd probably still need one more win but I would say it would just need to be a win no matter how he got it. (Obviously barring some incredibly controversial decision)

19. B

B [insert witty comment]

Damn.. I was hoping Robbie would have put on a Mike Tyson style fight in the sense that most were usually like watching a murder before your eyes..

20. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Whatever opinions are about Colby nothing can take that performance away from him. Really can't wait to see the pace of him and the pace of Usman clash.

10 of 18 takedown attempts landed and 541 strikes thrown 201 strikes landed is a straight up insane work rate to keep up.

21. DarthSkywalker

Is there an opinion to be had of Colby that does not involve him being a trash human who is a bigot?

22. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Frankie Edgar announces drop to 135
    [​IMG]

Who's everyone got this weekend for Shevchenko vs. Carmouche?

I think you see Valentina get her out of there inside 3 rounds.

I can't speak of his actions outside the cage but I generally didn't know he was that good in it.

23. DarthSkywalker

Edgar is making this move way too late. Dropping weightclasses this late in a career rarely works out. The lower you go, the most your reaction speed matters and that is what goes as you age.

24. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I need to catch up on some of the fights I missed recently.

25. jolldan

jolldan Registered

Really not a good look for McGregor, socking some old bloke because apparently he would'nt drink his whisky.