Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by Colossal Spoons, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Specter313

Specter313 Ghost of all things X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UNCANNY X-MEN #2
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • CHRIS BACHALO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by Frazer Irving
    • There is a mole on Cyclops’ team, but who is it?
    • When you hunt the UNCANNY X-MEN you use Sentinels, but when you find out WHO’S DOING THE HUNTING your jaw will drop!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

2. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

I am looking forward to the next issue of the UXM. The new mutants do seem a little....off? I mean they have a healer...but isn't Elixer still out there somewhere? They have a guy who releases.....gold balls? Hmmmmm. But then again Wolverine and the X-Men have a dude with eye's all over......

3. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

They are probably lame so we don't get too attached. I bet goldball boy will be among the first to die. Nah second. The black kid will get the honor of being first

4. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

That would be a good way to make us not care about them....being lame has that side effect. I do wish there were more power-houses popping up though. Is this the best that they can come up with???

5. Specter313

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UNCANNY X-MEN #3
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)
    CHRIS BACHALO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
    • Everything has changed for Magneto in the last few weeks. Can he prove he is still the Master of Magnetism?
    • Cyclops and the rest of his crew take the revolution on the road gathering up more new mutants.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

6. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

Hopefully the new mutants they gather up are a bit more interesting......

7. Specter313

[​IMG]

UNCANNY X-MEN #7
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)
    FRAZER IRVING (A/C)
    Wolverine Costume Variant By Ronnie Del Carmen
    • Dormammu’s machinations have pulled all of the UNCANNY X-MEN into the hellish dimension LIMBO!
    • Can Magik match the evil demon’s lord’s sorcery? Is she even on the X-Men’s side anymore?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

8. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

What is up with Magik? I wonder why she has not gone through a power flux like the other Phoenix Five have.......maybe she deflected that to Magneto.....

9. Havok83

She was affected as well. Her powers have been enhanced since the P5 stuff.

10. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

^ Thats crazy, right? Everyone else is having issues...but her.

11. javi1024

javi1024 DANGER ZONE!

I'm still having a hard time understanding why Magneto was a fugitive after AvX. He wasn't one of the Phoenix Five, and he was one of the people saying "uh I think Scott has lost it".

12. Havok83

to be fair its her sorcery thats been enhanced and those have nothing to do with her mutant abilities. Her teleportation doesnt seem affected but maybe that has to do with the fact that its also linked to Limbo and maybe thats kept her immune from the P5's after effect

he broke Scott out of a maximum security prison. Thats a criminal offense and automatically made him a fugitive

13. Specter313

But they were hunting him before he even did that. I remember they were saying they wanted to arrest all of the "Extinction Team", which was the Uncanny team before AvX, which besides the Phoenix 5, included Mags, Danger, Storm, Hope and Psylocke, but of course they never went after the last three, and only wanted Mags and Danger for some reason. My guess is that Bendis just wanted to write Mags and, per usual with him, sensible continuity be damned, and they randomly outlaw Magneto, even though he tried to help stop Scott with the Avengers and got his powers screwed up even though he didn't possess any fraction of the Phoenix Force.

14. JewishHobbit

JewishHobbit Well-Known Member

I think the idea with Magneto was that 1) he's Magneto, and 2) he sided with the Phoenix 5 the longest before finally helping against them. It's flimsy, but I think that was the excuse given in an interview. But that really only had to stand between AvX 12 and AvX: Consequences 5, so they didn't need a huge reasoning.

15. javi1024

javi1024 DANGER ZONE!

He was labeled a fugitive before he broke him out. There were wanted posters of the Phoenix Five and his picture was included.

16. Havok83

Gillen is the one that wrote Consequences adn had Danger and Magneto breaking the law by freeing Scott, not Bendis. Bendis' work with what remains of the former Extinction team is an extension of Gillen's work and picks up right where he left the characters. I dont think Magneto's current status can be blamed on Bendis as thats what he picked up. You'll have to fill me in if Danger and Magneto made any appearances in between AvX 12 and Consequences bc I dont recall them being hunted in that gap

When and where? Im drawing a blank bc right after AvX ended, Consequences followed up on that and thats where Magneto was breaking the law. I just looked back adn didnt see any posters there so it must have happened elsewhere in the hundreds of books Marvel puts out (but are impossible to keep up with)

17. javi1024

javi1024 DANGER ZONE!

I feel like it was either the last issue of AvX or the first issue of Consequences. Id have to double check.

Edit: Its one of the closing pages in AxV 12. Magneto is shown in the shadows of an alleyway and there are three different wanted posters shown: Emma Frost, Namor, and Magneto.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  18. Havok83

Oh okay. Well Bendis didnt write that issue either so I cant lay that on him. There was a Wanted poster for Magneto; I dont think there is anything wrong with them wanting him in for questioning. Considering his closeness to Scott, it'd make sense, but he went into hiding (which we later found out was to plan Scott's escape). But it was probaly just the Avengers wanting to take Magneto in. They and the government have tried to arrest him several times in the past. For all we know, they were willing to sieze this oppurtunity to do so again.

19. Specter313

You're forgetting that these kinds of things don't just come from one single writer, and the next writer just has to pick up the pieces these days. Marvel always has their "summits", to which the various events fall out of. AvX came from one as well, which Bendis and all the other writers of it attended, to which they started forming the ideas of what would happen and the fallout, which are always planned out far ahead of time so the "writers picking up the pieces" thing doesn't just happen like that anymore. They knew at one point that Bendis would be writing the X-Men, and he'd probably laid out who he wanted to write and how, and that included Magneto being on Scott's "villain" team. So it was more than likely mandated that Gillen had to pass it down on to Consequences somehow, and voila, we're stuck with the flimsy plot of Magneto being affected by the PF though he was never possessed by it like the others.

20. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

All very good points concerning Magneto. I still feel that Magik was able to somehow deflect that "sacrafice" of her powers to Magneto. I guess well find out soon enough. What do you think about Magneto's new cut? Sporting the Prof X cut.....

21. Specter313

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UNCANNY X-MEN #4
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)
    CHRIS BACHALO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
    • How is Magik the only one of the Phoenix Five to come out of the experience unscathed?
    • And there is something strange going on with one of the other members of the UNCANNY X-MEN.

22. javi1024

javi1024 DANGER ZONE!

I enjoyed this issue, but I kinda agree with IGNs review in that it's a bit unfortunate that it was a little bit too dependent on having read All-New #10 to get the full impact. Plus it totally spoils the end of issue 10.

23. Specter313

[​IMG]

UNCANNY X-MEN #8 & 9
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • CHRIS BACHALO (A/C)
    Issue #8 -
    • School is in session!
    • Last issue, the Uncanny X-Men saw what can happen with no control over their powers. It cannot happen again.
    • Plus, Cyclops and Magneto finally have it out!
    Issue #9 -
    • One mutant learns that once you leave the X-Men, the real world can be a punishing place.
    • Another new mutant learns just what it means to be an X-Man.
    • And Magneto isn’t the only mutant working with SHIELD. What mystery mutant has taken up with the espionage agency keeping tabs on the X-Men?

24. Snikt8

Snikt8 X

The spoiler at the end was unfortunate......they should have saved it for the next All-New X-Men issue.

25. Specter313