Comics Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

Probably a direction im not keen on, oh how i long for the days of Gold and Blue teams....

The only thing that puts me off Uncanny now is the team, i wish they'd mix it up a bit.

Sure Wolvie has to be on the team to get extra readers, but the rest....not so much.

prv8296_cov.jpg

prv8296_pg1.jpg

prv8296_pg2.jpg

prv8296_pg3.jpg

prv8296_pg4.jpg

prv8296_pg5.jpg

prv8296_pg6.jpg

prv8296_pg7.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #535

Written by KIERON GILLEN

Pencils & Cover by TERRY DODSON

Issue #535 Thor Goes Hollywood Variant by TBA

“BREAKING POINT”

When the X-Men left the militaristic alien Breakworld, its political structure was reduced to ashes. It didn't stay that way forever.

Now a warship is crossing the gulf of space, with a mission that will strike the lives of star-crossed lovers Colossus and Kitty Pryde with all the force of a meteor. Join them as they discover what the vessel them means for them, mutantkind and the rest of the Earth. All courtesy of KIERON GILLEN and TERRY DODSON! Part 1 (of 4).

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

This July, the fragile peace between human and mutantkind gets rocked to its core as the comic blockbuster of the summer, Fear Itself, brings the fight to the shores of Utopia in Uncanny X-Men #540 & 541! From critically acclaimed writer Kieron Gillen and superstar artist Greg Land, The Serpent has chosen one of the heaviest hitters of the Marvel Universe as one of his Worthy and he’s ready to settle some unfinished business.

“After the tight, claustrophobic Breaking Point, I wanted something that embraced the epic scale inherent in the modern/mythological world war of Fear Itself. It's a disaster movie where the natural threat is the supernatural powerhouse,” explains writer Kieron Gillen. “The whole story's built like a bomb, with each step of the Serpent’s Worthy is like another tick on the clock. "What can stop the Worthy?" is the question, and as the answer starts to become apparent, that's when the terror starts to bite. A city, waiting to be hit, with nothing they can do to stop it.”

But what all too personal connection has driven this relentless force of nature to wipe Utopia off the map? Can nearby San Francisco weather the seismic ramifications of the Worthy’s rampage and have their worst fears of a mutant attack finally been realized? Nothing can stop Fear Itself when the comics event of 2011 collides head-on with Uncanny X-Men #540 & #541, double-shipping this July!

UNCANNY X-MEN #540 & #541
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Pencils and Covers by GREG LAND
Rated T+ …$3.99 (each)
ON SALE THIS JULY!

1302272543.jpg

In that 535 preview...

1. Mmmm, Dodson's back!
2. Uh, well done on drawing Kitty getting thrown in her containment suit and an unsuited Kitty phasing through stuff, but when the bad place did she take the suit off? Mid-throw?
3. Looking forward to more Breakworld goodness. Screw you majority of X-Men fans who hate it when they go into space.

2. Uh, well done on drawing Kitty getting thrown in her containment suit and an unsuited Kitty phasing through stuff, but when the bad place did she take the suit off? Mid-throw?

I think that little bit of debris on the bottom of the things head where she phases in is supposed to be the suit getting smashed to bits, since Kitty phasing doesn't usually do that.

UNCX540_cov_colv2.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #540 & 541
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Pencils and Covers by GREG LAND
FEAR ITSELF TIE-IN!
The X-Men are used to being feared. When FEAR ITSELF finally reaches the west coast, they're going to become well acquainted with the emotion first hand. The unstoppable power of an old foe renewed is heading their way, and they have all the time in the world to realize how little they can do to stop him. And even more time to think about exactly how he's going to destroy San Francisco and everything it stands for. Parts 1 and 2 (of 4)
32 PGS.(each)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (each)

is it me or is this like 3 Uncanny issues in 5 weeks?? anyways, this new issue was much better than the .1 last week. i feel more comfortable with Gillen's handle on these characters. i was kinda sad seeing that, yes, its the same same roster that got all the focus during Fractions run, at least this time it made sense with them all being part of the Breakworld incident. but even then, the story seems to focus on Peter and Kitty while still giving us some good moments from everyone else. best line in the whole book, Dr. Nemesis: "I'm busy. Shout if you see a Nazi." also really loved that Magneto seemed to be asking all the same questions we all had during Kitty's return. and its so great seeing Dodson back on this book, i was a bit disappointed by Pachecos book. if this is what we can expect from Gillen i dont think we'll have any problems in the future.

Last edited:
But now, what would happen if you threw kitty like that without the suit to land in??

Would she phase through the earth and get stuck in a loop phasing back and forth to china??

lol, random thought, i know, sry

but how exactly does gravity effect Kitty in the phased form, has it been explained?

Now that she's stuck phased, who knows? Even though she can't touch anything, she doesn't seem to have any problem standing on the ground.

When she has full control of her powers, Kitty has limited hovering abilities. Basically, she can walk on air as if she was standing on the ground. She sometimes seems to be able to continue flying/phasing through the air in any given direction she was already moving, but she can't change direction. One time Claremont wrote a comic where she phased out of sync with the Earth's rotation, causing her to hover in place mid-air while the world spun around her.

prv8425_cov.jpg

prv8425_pg1.jpg

prv8425_pg2.jpg

prv8425_pg3.jpg

prv8425_pg4.jpg

prv8425_pg5.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #536

Written by KIERON GILLEN

Pencils & Cover by TERRY DODSON

“BREAKING POINT”

When the X-Men left the militaristic alien Breakworld, its political structure was reduced to ashes. It didn't stay that way forever.

Now a warship is crossing the gulf of space, with a mission that will strike the lives of star-crossed lovers Colossus and Kitty Pryde with all the force of a meteor. Join them as they discover what the vessel them means for them, mutantkind and the rest of the Earth. All courtesy of KIERON GILLEN and TERRY DODSON! Part 2 (of 4).

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

I've got to admit, Gillen's not doing a bad job so far. :up:
But I'm still counting down the days until we all turn against him, just like we've done every writer who's touched the X-Men this past decade.

Fans turned against Whedon during his third arc, Milligan by his second, Brubaker in the middle of his first, Fraction during his second solo, Claremont off-and-on since his return, and Carey as soon as "Legacy" was put in the title. Each of them was met with almost universal praise within a single issue.

well, in fairness, Carey's run didn't suck until he got to write his rogue fanfiction, and even now, it shows flashes of being decent.

Brubaker, as much as I love em, his time sucked right off the bat, beginning with deadly genesis.

Fraction had the benefit of coming on right after messiah complex, so he got a break for a few issues, but his issues were all weak, maybe minus the dark avengers/x-men crossover.

Whedon, Milligan, Claremont, and even Morrison, however, did meet that fate you speak of.

I love Rise & Fall (right up until its lack of an ending), The Extremists, and the Divided We Stand hippie/Russian arc. I think some fans were being a little unfair to Brubaker.

Extremists didnt leave any kind of impression on me, and i dont really care for a team consisting of Storm, Warpath, Hepzibah, and Thing (of all people). i like Rise and Fall if you pack it in with Emperor Vulcan and Kingbreaker. i have nothing against DWS but admittedly i loved it more because of Choi/Oback than Brubaker.

At worst, Brubaker's stories were just decent. Nothing puts The Extremists in perspective like reading Fraction's Sisterhood.

I thought Extremists was the worse story Brubaker did. I liked RaFotS and the other ones. Brubaker's run was underrated

At worst, Brubaker's stories were just decent. Nothing puts The Extremists in perspective like reading Fraction's Sisterhood.
i think Sisterhood and Quarantine share in common that they were both cool ideas that really had you hooked, but then in the end it just fell apart. granted i still more or less enjoyed Quarantine, it wouldve been better if the focus was the just the plague issue and waited to conclude Emma's story in the next issue. i cant find a silver lining for Sisterhood except Fraction brought back Psylocke.

It doesn't help when you have Land on the art for issues like that either.

true, but one story you got a bunch of happy smiling rich kids and investors turning into mutants and the other is about hot villainesses in skin tight clothing. who else do you get for those jobs BUT Greg Land? :woot:

Land really is just awful.

Hey Marvel, I can trace, too.. really well in fact...why dontcha let me draw one of your top books

Whenever Land is on art, it's a challenge just to get through the issue. Thank god Dodson is back (*prepares to ignore Havok83*)

Whenever Land is on art, it's a challenge just to get through the issue. Thank god Dodson is back (*prepares to ignore Havok83*)
LOL...I have a confession to make. Im not really reading the books anymore. I dont have the drive or care to check them out on Wednesday and keep up with whats going on. If I read something its like weeks/months after its come out and Im a bit out of the loop. Im not reading any news/previews either. Its why I havent posted in the X-threads much. I did read 534.1 but didnt really care about it. I think Ive reached the point where Im done with the X-books at least for now. Call me back when Jean Grey returns

534.1 was alright. i dont blame you for not thinking much of it. but the start of his new arc has a real nice classic feel to it. and you gotta at least enjoy X-Force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"