Comics Official WOLVERINE discussion thread

It was done similarly in Ultimate, right? When he was trapped in the cage and all of Wraith's men were shooting at him. Issue three or four.

Yeah, but like I said before, this is IDENTICAL to a scene in Preacher. It's not even a creative punishement for him, couldn't he easily climb out of that pit? I know I've seen him using his claws to scale walls before. This might have been a workable punishement back when he had the bone claws, but now, it's just silly.

Well, far be it for me to try and halt the calling of random scenes without context stupid before we get the context ( :whatever: ), but I imagine it'd probably be pretty hard for Wolvie to climb out of the pit when he's being riddled with bullets or zapped or whatever the gun thing does.

But you have to remember we are dealing with now super-incinvible wolverine who can withstand an atomic bomb at point blank range and regenerate completely in a few minutes. Bullets would simply be an inconvienience

So, basically, they need to establish his healing power as mystical. Period.

Regenerating that level of tissue without building blocks (like a full belly of nutrients to convert to the new flesh) has to be magic and not the science we think of when we think about Marvel's mutants.

I guess the character is beyond redemption.
Oh man...why is that Wolverine fans have to read crap like this all the time, even on boards dedicated to him? :whatever:
There´s no character beyond redemption, it all depends on the writer. Also, when a character is so interesting and original as Logan, even hack writers like Chuck Austen can't destroy his iconic status. But it seems it's a new fad among Marvel readers to hate anything Wolverine related.

Not me. I still love the little guy. :D

For a Wolvie thread, there's not actually much talk on what's going on.

IMO, Wolvie stories for a while now have been kicking proper arse.

Loeb's Wolvie run has been really freakin' good, we got the full LD on the Logan/Creed relationship, Creed got 'offed,' and we got a whole new arch-nemesis in a revamped Wild Child.

And I REALLY think Creed's death was done well. As with most comic fans, when a charcter like Hawkeye, or Carnage dies the way they do, hordes of people ***** about the death wasn't big enough, only lasted a page, blah, blah.

Now we get a major story, from a massive name, doing a full indepth big story, killing Wolvie's nemesis, and what happens? Nothing. Unless there's something to compain about here, not many people wan to talk, lol.

All Wolvie stories have been continuity heavy as well, his 'origin,' story has been taking proper form, and everything's tying together.

Loved the annual, Andrews hits it out of the park as usual with his art. And I really think Way has done a good job busting his balls to tie together all of the messed up continuity.

The 'Lupine,' theory very much takes care over the 'science,' problems of their insane regeneration. There's something much deeper here...

Did anyone notice the 'Lost' similarity from Loeb's story? Okay, bare with me here.

We all know, Loeb is one of the executive producers on Lost, as well as one of the writers. Now, Wolverine's mysterious past has always been linked with shady government types. This was a plot device used for many years, that reflected the Western world's growing distrust with factions of our own government.

But times change, and Wolvie gets his memory back. But as expected, that's only the start. As everything has moved along, the most significant moment so far since that page of HOM, is the moment he killed Creed. Now, to plainly continue to do the 'government cover up,' thing is just played out. So now we get a very 'Lost,' take on it.

Just look at the last few pages on the last ish, where Logan's withy Wildchild and 'Romulus,' and take these into account:

1) You have an empty natural area, where the lead character hears whispers, and then people randomly appearing/disappearing. Rather like Lost.

2) You have this new mysterious 'Lupine,' mythology, that dates back really far. Just how far? We don't know. This is like the 'hostiles,' on Lost, just look at 'that foot' for mysterious mythology reference.

3) On Lost, everyone has to answer to this mysterious person named Jacob, that no one can see, except Ben. And everything is dependant on what 'Jacob,' wants. The same seems to happen with Wild Child and Romulous.

4) Characters 'fates,' are told in dreams in both.

5) While holding some unexplained non-scientific phenomenon, (dreams, super-natural phenomenon, unexplained EXTREMLEY powerful bloodlines of secret societies,) the mysterious villain in both stories, resorts to using various companies/governments in our world to conduct over the top scientific experiments on various people.

6) Nobody knows why in both stories the full reasoning for the experiments.

7) Once again, in both stories, the mysterious protagonists seem uber powerful, yet they use modern science to still try and get what they want. Once again, why?

I could go along with the comparisons a little more, but I think my point is made.

Overall, I do like the way the new mystery pans out. I think it works well with Wolvie, who has the balance of being a 'wildeness,' type character, yet has un ending ties to scientific genetic experiments.

And before we hear all the bashing about 'Oh it's so cheap just to use Lost's plot devices, blah, blah,' Let's remember that the Wolvie stoyline has been going on for decades. Everyone knows for sure that plenty of books/TV shows/films have borrowed from comic book storylines for a long time. (The Bourne trilogy anyone?) So it's pretty fair to say that a lot of Lost plotlines coul've been in some way 'inspred by,' those aspects from Wolverine etc.

What I think we have now is, a kinda full circle attempt to combine all of these things, and reinvigorate Wolverine's 'mysterious,' past.

I for one dig it, any thoughts anybody else?

Curious. Nitro blew Logan up but there was like, a cell of him left so he had enough DNA to regrow completely. But how did the adamantium not just fall to the ground when his real bones inside were destroyed, therefore being useless when he regenerated himself? Bear in mind I didnt actually read the issue, so if I missed something obvious in the review or comments elsewhere, then I apologise

Curious. Nitro blew Logan up but there was like, a cell of him left so he had enough DNA to regrow completely. But how did the adamantium not just fall to the ground when his real bones inside were destroyed, therefore being useless when he regenerated himself? Bear in mind I didnt actually read the issue, so if I missed something obvious in the review or comments elsewhere, then I apologise
No, I think that mess was a little over the top, myself. I mean, wasn't that how he supposedly died in Days of Future Past? I don't think that should have been allowed.

I don't think Wolvie's bones got destroyed. I don't think the explosion went through the adamantium. If it had, Wolverine would have been eradicated. On that note, I think Ramos just went a little too far for the awesome image (which it is) and it isn't necessarily what Guggenheim was going for. But maybe I'm wrong.

On the other note, I really liked Loeb's Wolverine run. I like how Sabretooth got offed. I think it all worked well, and was overall solid. It's just that most people didn't, hence why nobody's talking about it.

And I don't watch Lost, so I couldn't really care less if there are similarities or not.

For a Wolvie thread, there's not actually much talk on what's going on.

IMO, Wolvie stories for a while now have been kicking proper arse.

And I REALLY think Creed's death was done well. As with most comic fans, when a charcter like Hawkeye, or Carnage dies the way they do, hordes of people ***** about the death wasn't big enough, only lasted a page, blah, blah.

Now we get a major story, from a massive name, doing a full indepth big story, killing Wolvie's nemesis, and what happens? Nothing. Unless there's something to compain about here, not many people wan to talk, lol.
Yes...basic human nature.
But you've made some excellent points regarding what's going on now, so I'll attempt to break the mold of human nature in general and fanboy boards in particular and say that I'm REALLY enjoying Origins and that I was VERY happy to see Creed's head hit the dirt.

Unfortunatly, I don't get to watch much TV, so I'm lost on your LOST comparisons, but I'm completely invested in the mystery of this Romulus. I enjoy Origins because I've been reading about Wolverine monthly since the late 70's and to see all the dangling plot lines (especially Larry Hama's) tied up, is quite rewarding. Great job on both books, guys!

I've caught a Lost connection with the names. Only a few characters on Lost know that Sawyer's real name is James, and they tend to use it in a sort of tantalizing way in front of him, like they know some big secret....where Logan's real name is also James, and some characters tend to use it in the same way, like in Wolverine #47.

So wait...Wildchild is evil...(again)...dammit, where is Shard when u need her? oh thats right..she's dead...(again)

So wait...Wildchild is evil...(again)...dammit, where is Shard when u need her? oh thats right..she's dead...(again)
I don't think Kyle was ever really not evil. I mean, he was in X-factor for a while, but he was no goody two shoes there. I am happy to see him just the same, bad guy or no. He's one of my favorites. :D

My favorite pic of him and shard:

forgottowel.jpg

Did anyone notice the 'Lost' similarity from Loeb's story? Okay, bare with me here. (...)

I for one dig it, any thoughts anybody else?
The "Lost" aspect of Loeb's run is an interesting theory, wolvie2020...it really made me wonder... :ninja:
I'll send it to a friend of mine who's a Lost fanatic. She isn't really a Wolverine reader, but she knows the guy and his history, so I think it'll amuse her a great deal! :yay:
I love "Lost", it's one of the most interesting stuff I've seen on tv for ages. To me, more interesting than Loeb's "Wolverine" run anyway, but I can see where you're getting at when you make the comparisons.

danoyse said:
I've caught a Lost connection with the names. Only a few characters on Lost know that Sawyer's real name is James, and they tend to use it in a sort of tantalizing way in front of him, like they know some big secret....where Logan's real name is also James, and some characters tend to use it in the same way, like in Wolverine #47.
Hey, I was just talking about it with my above mentioned friend! How uncanny is that?! :woot:

Unfortunatly, I don't get to watch much TV, so I'm lost on your LOST comparisons, but I'm completely invested in the mystery of this Romulus. I enjoy Origins because I've been reading about Wolverine monthly since the late 70's and to see all the dangling plot lines (especially Larry Hama's) tied up, is quite rewarding. Great job on both books, guys!

Well, if you dig the whole Romulus thing, I'd seriously consider getting into Lost. You've love it.

And yea, I've been reading since that Hamma stories. It's a REALLY weird feeling to wait for nearly 2 decades for a story to be finalised, lol

There you go!

I didn't mean to turn this thread into a Lost/Wolverine comparison, but I was re-reading the last issue juat after me and my GF had just watsched a bit of a Lost marathon, and my brain went, 'wait a second, this is EXACTLY like what I just watched...' and then I thought, 'Holy crap! Both are written by Loeb!'

It's funny how often Lost comes up. I was explaining Wolverine to a friend of mine who hadn't seen the movies before...and explaining all of the memory loss, and how a lot of his stories are really in his past, and I remember actually saying "He's kind of a walking Lost episode."

I'm a big Lost fan, so I couldn't find a better way to explain it! :cwink:

I'd like to see someone do a poll to see how many readers bash Wolverine online, but still buy his book every month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"