Official Young Avengers Discussion Thread - Part 1

Yeah, that was out of left field. Not only for the issue, but for the entire publication history of the character.

That was the general consensus when the issue came out. I don't know much about the character to begin with so I was confused as to why that was.

That was the general consensus when the issue came out. I don't know much about the character to begin with so I was confused as to why that was.

He had a brief relationship with Surge but surely nothing to prevent him from having been bisexual this whole time. I'm sure the explanation will be swift, fun, and satisfying :up:

I wouldn't mind him being bisexual. I just don't like when writers take an established heterosexual character and make them homosexual. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Last edited:
I remember when Brian Azzarello randomly made John Constantine Bisexual in a arc in Hellbazer and then it was never mentioned again lol.

I wouldn't mind him being bisexual. I just don't like when writers take an established heterosexual character and make them homosexual. I'm hoping that's not the case.

I wouldn't care if he was bi, I'm just not in the mood for a love triangle. I love Billy and Teddy and this new complication in their relationship would be unwelcome.

Their love story is kinda getting old for me. I feel like we can't have a Young Avengers story without their romance being the center of it somehow.

Their love story is kinda getting old for me. I feel like we can't have a Young Avengers story without their romance being the center of it somehow.

For sure, the PDA could be toned down a lot but I'd like them to remain a couple.

except unless a character says "I'm Straight" or "that's not for me" or "I don't swing that way" then they're sexuality isn't really established.

Hitting on a girl or dating one just means they like girls (and says nothing about having a taste or not for men)

and I know quite a few gay guys who dated girls before they figured themselves out.....

YNGAVN2013012COV.jpg

YOUNG AVENGERS #12
KIERON GILLEN (W)
JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)
The Young Avengers versus “The Young Avengers”. The stakes? What have you got?
Loki’s scheme reaches its final twist. Expect the team’s jaws to just hit the floor and lie there, twitching for the rest of the comic.
A tempting offer for Noh-Varr may get an arrow through his head. Other romance based drama too, as kissing is the new planetary extinction event.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

except unless a character says "I'm Straight" or "that's not for me" or "I don't swing that way" then they're sexuality isn't really established.

Hitting on a girl or dating one just means they like girls (and says nothing about having a taste or not for men)

and I know quite a few gay guys who dated girls before they figured themselves out.....

True, and if it were a younger character like Prodigy I can forgive it for that reason. I just hate when people take long established characters and change them. I have nothing against gay characters, but I prefer them to be younger characters or newer characters. If they ever do make Iceman gay, that'll tick me off. But someone like Anole was done perfectly. He wasn't introduced as gay but it went that way naturally. And even better, his sexuality doesn't define him (like with Wiccan and Hulking unfortunately... when it didn't start that way). Taking an established character that's never been shown or hinted at as gay would bother me. Chances are if I were reading it back then, I'd have hated the Northstar issue... but then again, I've never read the old Alpha Flight series, so it might have been a natural progression of the character's sexuality.

Last edited:
True, and if it were a younger character like Prodigy I can forgive it for that reason. I just hate when people take long established characters and change them. I have nothing against gay characters, but I prefer them to be younger characters or newer characters. If they ever do make Iceman gay, that'll tick me off. But someone like Anole was done perfectly. He wasn't introduced as gay but it went that way naturally. And even better, his sexuality doesn't define him (like with Wiccan and Hulking unfortunately... when it didn't start that way). Taking an established character that's never been shown or hinted at as gay would bother me. Chances are if I were reading it back then, I'd have hated the Northstar issue... but then again, I've never read the old Alpha Flight series, so it might have been a natural progression of the character's sexuality.

i agree to an extent. I think like someone who's shown actual angst over loving and being attracted to a woman, especially when it's incredibly deep and you can never question it (like Peter Parker) should never be changed. But if the story is good, and it's built up for someone who's only relationship stories have been very much thin and we are really never given there opinion, it'd make more sense to me.

Like lets say Johnny Storm was always shown with women, but he never had a serious relationship and he never once talked about his true emotional feelings for a woman.. and then they built a story around him where he had been struggling with his thoughts for years... and paraded women around him just because he desperately wanted to be straight, and to never let anyone in on his own deep personal feelings.. then yeah, that'd be an interesting and acceptable story.

But... we've already seen johnny in a few serious relationships with women and we've read his thoughts on them, so he can never be written as anything but straight. If that makes sense?

I'm pretty sure that man-****es like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark don't need to clearly say "I'm straight" :oldrazz:

I'm pretty sure that man-****es like Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark don't need to clearly say "I'm straight" :oldrazz:

It honestly (in the real world) wouldn't be the first time I've heard about a gay/bi guy being a "man-****e" towards women at a point in their lives.

It honestly (in the real world) wouldn't be the first time I've heard about a gay/bi guy being a "man-****e" towards women at a point in their lives.
Fair point, but I think that certain characters have been developed towards one sex for sooooooo long to the point where specifically saying one's sexuality is completely unnecessary. There are characters like Prodigy who haven't been around long enough and thus have the room to be developed into a gay/bisexual character and the freedom to be sexually neutral until further defined. But a character that has been around for 40+ years like the Human Torch, Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. and have had no homosexual tendencies at all.....keep them straight because any attempt to alter their sexuality will inevitably come off as some horribly executed and hamfisted attempt to generate attention. Their sexuality has had decades worth of development that is firmly heterosexual.

Hell, look at how horribly executed turning Alan Scott into a gay character was. They kill his boyfriend, they erase a very well developed gay character in Obsidian in the process, they undo his marriage, and they did it to a character who was once characterized as a stuffy, old fashioned conservative.

YNGAVN2013009-DC11-LR-a8ab7.jpg

YNGAVN2013009-int-LR-1-a6112.jpg

YNGAVN2013009-int-LR-2-b2dc9.jpg

YNGAVN2013009-int-LR-3-1f1c8.jpg

YNGAVN2013009-int-LR-4-549dd.jpg

YNGAVN2013009-int-LR-5-24b93.jpg

YOUNG AVENGERS #9
KIERON GILLEN (W)
JAMIE MCKELVIE (A/C)
• We wanted to just write “Screaming! Screaming! Screaming!” for this solicit, but we’re told we need boring old facts. :(
• Anyway! The Young Avengers road trip across the multiverse goes proper crazy as it reaches it’s destination. It’s destination is mainly EXCITEMENT and HEARTBREAK.
• Several Young Avengers decide what to do next. The question is, whether what they do next is to be Young Avengers...
• Honestly, screaming.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

This series has got better with every issue. I can't wait

Fair point, but I think that certain characters have been developed towards one sex for sooooooo long to the point where specifically saying one's sexuality is completely unnecessary. There are characters like Prodigy who haven't been around long enough and thus have the room to be developed into a gay/bisexual character and the freedom to be sexually neutral until further defined. But a character that has been around for 40+ years like the Human Torch, Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Thor, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. and have had no homosexual tendencies at all.....keep them straight because any attempt to alter their sexuality will inevitably come off as some horribly executed and hamfisted attempt to generate attention. Their sexuality has had decades worth of development that is firmly heterosexual.

Hell, look at how horribly executed turning Alan Scott into a gay character was. They kill his boyfriend, they erase a very well developed gay character in Obsidian in the process, they undo his marriage, and they did it to a character who was once characterized as a stuffy, old fashioned conservative.

i agree completely for the most part. Nothing should ever feel forced. Which is why i brought up Iceman rather than Peter and Human torch whom both have a massive track record with being emotionally connected to women, not just arm candy. Iceman, im less familiar with in terms of his love life, but lets say while he's dated women and even has come off like a womanizer at times... we never saw the character (or a character like him) get emotionally attached to women, he was just sorta a man-****e. That has room to work with imo. Would fans still cry foul and think it's forced even when it's well executed? SURE... but that's to be expected.

DC handled Alan Scott incredibly poorly all around.

I thought Marvel making Black Cat & Max Dillon Bi-sexual worked pretty well though

Iceman's been straight for far too long. Even if there is room to work with, they shouldn't touch that.

When did they make Black Cat and Max Dillon Bi? This is the first I'm hearing about that. Max Dillon doesn't bother me, but Black Cat's never shown any indication of being bisexual that I'm aware of. She'd be more along the lines of Peter and Johnny as well established straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"