Comics Official YOUNG X-MEN Discussion Thread

I have a feeling it's all just a test by Cycke.

I didnt like it. I thought it was a waste of paper and the only intruiging part was the last panel with the original team of New Mutants. Guess I'll have to come back for them bc this Young X-men team doesnt interest me. These are a bland bunch of characters that I dont find appealing and it didnt help that the art wasnt good either

Magma wasn't an original New Mutant, she joined up around issue 9...

Read the 1st issue. It's meh. That ink guy is annoying already....cuzin

Complaining!

Magma wasn't an original New Mutant, she joined up around issue 9...
I meant original as in the team from the original series. I used the term to differntiate between their successors which were introduced in the second New Mutant ongoing which became the New X-men, now Young X-men

The art wasn't anywhere bad as I half-expected it would be. Paquette wasn't a constant flatterer over on UXM, but he serves fairly well here, and it wasn't always a portrait of a dude with pouting lips.

Ink's mutant power is fairly rad. Assuming he's not a throwaway character and stays with the team, that could be pretty darn cool, especially if Guggenheim does his stuff in neat ways. It's kind of like magic - either it's going to be done neatly and intelligently, or it's going to get really boring and stupid really quickly. But I've got faith in Guggenheim. He's a competant writer, one, and he proved, at the least, in his Wolverine arc that he can write something full of energy from start to finish.

I'm game. I love Rockslide, at least, and there's an obvious something that runs between him and Wolf Cub. And Guggenheim writes Blindfold properly eerily, and it'll be fun where that goes.

For the record, I'm not sure as to whether it's a faux-Cyclops or just Cyclops putting them through a test. Some of his actions seemed off, I think, but then, he's changed. Still, having X-Force running around after the Purifiers, why would he need kids to send after veteran mutants? But then, there are at least a few telling lines of dialogue that will make it awkward if it turns out it's not really Cyclops. So, hmm.

This was MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Yost and Kyle's New X-Men was in it's closing days.
Really? I thought it was quite boring myself. :(

I didnt like it. I thought it was a waste of paper and the only intruiging part was the last panel with the original team of New Mutants. Guess I'll have to come back for them bc this Young X-men team doesnt interest me. These are a bland bunch of characters that I dont find appealing and it didnt help that the art wasnt good either
I didn't care for the art either, but then I don't care for Yannick anyhow. I am glad he's off Ultimate, just sorry he landed here. Not a problem I guess, since I doubt I will be reading many more issues of this. :down

Uhm, did we read the same issue? What was bad about the art?

Kyle and Yost were wayyyy overrated by you guys..I don't see how you can call a comic good when every other issue used the death of a character to move the plot forward.

Young X-Men will be wayyyy better now that they are away from it. The only thing they cared about was making X-23 badass.

Kyle and Yost were wayyyy overrated by you guys.

Amen.

It still had its moments, though.

JustABill said:
Young X-Men will be wayyyy better now that they are away from it. The only thing they cared about was making X-23 badass.

As in past tense...? Check out X-Force, lol. ;)

Kyle and Yost were wayyyy overrated by you guys..I don't see how you can call a comic good when every other issue used the death of a character to move the plot forward.

really? X-23 was very tame in that series and not the badass they wrote her as in her 2 LS. Ive seen more badass X-23 in the first issue of X-force than her entire run of New X-men. In fact, she was a background character and didnt get the spotlight till a year into their run with the Mercury arc

Yeah, New X-Men really wasn't about X-23.

I liked New X-Men for a lot of reasons, but I never overrated Yost or Kyle.

Well after just one issue, I already think that the guy with the Tattoos is the most pointless and annoying mutant since Sketch.

How does his power even work anyway?
How does his body even interpret what the pictures meant to be?
If the tattoo is done really badly does the power work really badly?

Im sure back when I read Essential X-Men and 5 year olds sent in their ideas for mutant powers into the letters column in the back, they never came up with anything THAT crappy.

As for Kyle and Yost....
They did have a lot of plus points, the characters were interesting + the use of continuity was very well done.
What let it down was their ridiculous overuse of killing off characters to add drama to the comic. The editors should have allowed it. All characters have their own fans and Idolisers (if thats a real word) and even the really bad characters just need the right writer (probably PAD lol) to make them into classic characters. You dont need to kill anyone to have a drama or a sense of danger. Batman, Hulk, Superman, Spider-Man, even the Fantastic4.... none of them are EVER die (well not permanantly anyway) the readers know it full well... but they can still have drama and danger. People don't pick up Spider-Man to see if he might actually die that issue. People don't want to be scared that their favourite characters are going to be killed off, it just makes the comic depressing tbh.

JAB said the one thing they CARED about.

Not the one thing they DID. ;)
It still makes no sense, because the book wasn't about making X-23 badass.

As for Kyle and Yost....
They did have a lot of plus points, the characters were interesting + the use of continuity was very well done.
What let it down was their ridiculous overuse of killing off characters to add drama to the comic. The editors should have allowed it. All characters have their own fans and Idolisers (if thats a real word) and even the really bad characters just need the right writer (probably PAD lol) to make them into classic characters. You dont need to kill anyone to have a drama or a sense of danger. Batman, Hulk, Superman, Spider-Man, even the Fantastic4.... none of them are EVER die (well not permanantly anyway) the readers know it full well... but they can still have drama and danger. People don't pick up Spider-Man to see if he might actually die that issue. People don't want to be scared that their favourite characters are going to be killed off, it just makes the comic depressing tbh.
You hit part of the point without realizing you hit it, actually. The book wasn't about "We need deaths to add drama!!!!!!" The deaths weren't about that, either.

Rather, it was really the one book that could be read without being sure that the characters were safe. Yeah, some of it might have been shock therapy too, but I enjoyed reading it and going, "Holy crap, so-and-so just bit it."

Maybe it's morbid, but it was refreshing.

It still makes no sense, because the book wasn't about making X-23 badass.

You're absolutely right. It was about making the sorry lot of... I mean, THE KIDS badass.

They were proving to the world that they could write a book that wasn't about making x-23 badass just so they could go right back to it. :woot:

Uhm, did we read the same issue? What was bad about the art?

Just look at Cyclops, especially his face :down:

yannicksg0.png

As we all know, artists must be absolutely flawless or be denounced as trash by Herr Spoons.

Artists who aren't flawless should GTFO!

Somebody has to like it, or this guy would be unemployed lol. Just doesn't please my eyes :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"