Ok Guys...Shall we talk DVD/Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by kguillou, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrd550 He who is him

I agree, at least it went into the source material a bit - I am actually disappointed with the bonus material on the bluray disc - just two featurettes? Marvel used to do a much better job with bonus material - now they are pretty short. And the Marvel One Shot was pretty silly - it didn't really add anything to the film's narrative, or future tv series (I think).

2. TomPiltoff you are all diseased

Yeah the commentary was as interesting as I'd hoped. And it feels very honest, he's very open about the things he thought he could do better/things that stretch plausibility.

3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yep, I love his commentaries.

My favorite random bit of insight had to be about Banner and the crib. That's definitely something I never picked up on when he said, "I don't every time get what I want." But now that line seems so much more heartbreaking to me, just imagining what he might have been thinking about in that moment (Betty, starting a family of his own, etc).

And that bit about the aliens dying cracked me up, because that was probably my writer friend's biggest complaint about the movie - he hates that storytelling device. So I find it amusing that Joss hates it too, and hated that he had to resort to it.

4. Marvel Registered

I just love that box! I already had the Target version but had to buy this set! I may get another because that box is just so damn cool.

5. Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Got my bluray combo pack at target today. Came with a bonus blu ray disc. And was on sale for 20 bucks!!

6. Raiden Wakanda Forever

My brother got me the Target blu-ray set for $20, which is a great idea, but that Best Buy set does look cool as well. Maybe I can convince him to pay half so we can share the set.

7. Slushy Registered

Don't bother with the Target exclusive. It was a waste according to a friend who got it.

8. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Did Whedon why he had to stick with the alien dying from the script? Is it due to budgetary concerns?

9. Robin91939 Master Tim

I bought the Blu-Ray (3D) 4 disc set....

The special features seem pretty awful. There's no real, new features or behind the scenes type stuff. Iron Man and Iron Man 2 had far more/better features... You'd think this film would trump those.

Is there another, better copy of the film with more special features than this? This seemed like the best of the available (certainly most expensive) options.

-R

10. raze3003 Registered

Targets is the same way I don't like either

11. <(o_o)> Evangeline Is My Hero!

Disney will probably release a better edition at the same time as the revised boxed set next year.

12. Alexei Belyakov Registered

Watching the movie with the commentary now.

Nice to see Whedon bring up Starlin & Thanos at 30:30.

13. TomPiltoff you are all diseased

No, just because it's neat and simple. He definitely expresses that the whole experience was very rushed, seems like he just didn't have enough time to work a better explanation in.

There were definitely some budgetary concerns with The Hulk though.

14. Adamantium Your King

I wonder how much money it would have cost to have had Hulk Thunder Clap the gang of Chitauri that was firing on him? I mean how exactly did he end up sitting in the rubble with a nose bleed and apparently no Chitauri left around him?

15. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Ah nuts I should've got this instead of target.

16. Havok83 Registered

I doubt that soon. They will probably hold off until closer to The Avengers 2 is released in theaters

17. Splat Registered

Is the second screen app working for anyone? The sync option is still locked in my app.

18. Adamantium Your King

I've read in a few places that the Joss Whedon Commentary is very lacking and he doesn't give much insight into the making/creating of the film. What say you to those who have watched the commentary?

19. jrd550 He who is him

Yep, unfortunately, this has double dip written all over it... I mean to features on the making of the film that are about 15 mins each? Bonus features used to be hours and hours long...

20. Slushy Registered

For digital code problems, contact Paramount Customer Service line at 323-956-5000.

21. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

Same, I hadn't noticed it until the commentary. That bit really gave the scene more meaning for me. I like it a lot more now.

22. ShadowBoxer Registered

I think the one shot Item 47 was just a set up for the upcoming TV show. I have a feeling Lizzy Caplan and Jesse Bradford (the two robbers who later join Shield) are going to have a role on the show or something. But I could be wrong lol.

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I disagree, but I guess it depends on what kind of insight you're looking for. I think there's plenty of insight into Joss's intentions and and opinions on how things turned out, but if you're looking for behind-the-scenes anecdotes, it IS very light on those.

I was also pleased to hear how involved Jed and Maurissa seemed to be with the script. Since they'll be his show runners on SHIELD, it's comforting to know they're already pretty knee-deep into this world.

24. ShadowBoxer Registered

But yea there will be a double dip for this movie either this spring with the suitcase edition with all the movies and teseract prop or when Avengers 2 is getting ready to hit theaters.

25. flickchick85 Admin of Might

He basically said he did it because he wanted the Avengers to have their moment of victory without the audience feeling like they still had 2 days worth of Chitauri clean-up/killing to do, so he took the cheap/easy way out in order to have that moment. You can tell by the way he says it that he really doesn't like it though, haha. Seems like maybe he came up with a more creative solution after the fact or something and is kicking himself. It does sound like time was something of an issue as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.