Okay the writers guild strike thing

Nope
Thats absoluteley wrong dude
Ive even heard lower numbers(some as low as 35 cents-ready to sell)
If you can show me different Im all ears bro

United Hollywood

Get the information and the facts.

I, for one, will be on the picket line wednesday.

And, anyone who wants to be a scab writer, remember this. The WGA WILL regain their position eventually, and you will not only get the boot to the curb for scabbing but will also be blacklisted from ever joining which means your projects will not be purchased, not to mention greenlit. So, the best way to get through this is to support your striking writers so that the studios give in. 8 cents instead of 4 cents is chump change to the amount the producers and the studios make off our intellectual properties

United Hollywood

And, anyone who wants to be a scab writer, remember this. The WGA WILL regain their position eventually, and you will not only get the boot to the curb for scabbing but will also be blacklisted from ever joining which means your projects will not be purchased, not to mention greenlit. So, the best way to get through this is to support your striking writers so that the studios give in. 8 cents instead of 4 cents is chump change to the amount the producers and the studios make off our intellectual properties

ETM trust me don't be a scab listen to this beautiful smart woman:o

United Hollywood

Rock on! Good luck, hope this ends soon.

United Hollywood

I, for one, have read as much as I could find on this whole situation....even the link provided by Dew. Alas, I do not feel the same way. I do agree that writers should get a piece of DVD and other new media residuals but my strong anti union stance negates me from supporting the WGA in any way whatsoever. I feel that if writers want to join the WGA they should be welcome to, but it should be a choice not the only option.....

I, for one, have read as much as I could find on this whole situation....even the link provided by Dew. Alas, I do not feel the same way. I do agree that writers should get a piece of DVD and other new media residuals but my strong anti union stance negates me from supporting the WGA in any way whatsoever. I feel that if writers want to join the WGA they should be welcome to, but it should be a choice not the only option.....

Oh don't get me wrong. I entirely agree, however this is the way it is, and the bulk of their benefits are good ones. Your only options at this point in time are join or don't work. That's how it is. Once inside maybe you can work to dismantle the system, but the fact is, YOU HAVE TO GET INSIDE

The people who come up with pretty much everything in Hollywood need the money. Studios are greedy and will do everything in their power to keep it that way. Like I said writers the true "GODS" of Hollywood get the **** end of the stick. The deserve better than 4 cents...

Oh don't get me wrong. I entirely agree, however this is the way it is, and the bulk of their benefits are good ones. Your only options at this point in time are join or don't work. That's how it is. Once inside maybe you can work to dismantle the system, but the fact is, YOU HAVE TO GET INSIDE

I don't know if you have read back at any previous posts, but I feel writers should work as independent contractors with the freedom to negotiate their pay and royalties. All it would take is one major studio or network to stand up and say we will no longer look to the WGA for writing talent...but alas it will not happen. Part of me thinks this will be resolved before the end of the week...part of me feels this can go on for a long long time.....

I don't know if you have read back at any previous posts, but I feel writers should work as independent contractors with the freedom to negotiate their pay and royalties. All it would take is one major studio or network to stand up and say we will no longer look to the WGA for writing talent...but alas it will not happen. Part of me thinks this will be resolved before the end of the week...part of me feels this can go on for a long long time.....

Oh i read your posts, and I agree, but it isn't going to happen. So, you can complain about it and take the moral high ground, but I have to work 5 jobs so I can spend my nights writing and hoping to God someone will buy my stuff. Not one studio will look at until I am guilded and though I want to write for Marvel, they won't look at my stuff either until I have something under my belt. Just the mention of a guild membership will establish me as a serious artist, not a deluded fan girl, and I, for one, will take that foot in the door. I am not in this solely for the money, but I am not going to lie and say "it's all about the art." It's about the dream of actually being paid for the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing I think about when I go to sleep. I may never be rich, but to be happy... now, that's a miracle.

Fanboys want all the rights and privileges but don't want to go through the channels.

Which means they are perfect for the job.

*rimshot*

Thank you, thank you. Now here's Tim Conway.

Oh i read your posts, and I agree, but it isn't going to happen. So, you can complain about it and take the moral high ground, but I have to work 5 jobs so I can spend my nights writing and hoping to God someone will buy my stuff. Not one studio will look at until I am guilded and though I want to write for Marvel, they won't look at my stuff either until I have something under my belt. Just the mention of a guild membership will establish me as a serious artist, not a deluded fan girl, and I, for one, will take that foot in the door. I am not in this solely for the money, but I am not going to lie and say "it's all about the art." It's about the dream of actually being paid for the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing I think about when I go to sleep. I may never be rich, but to be happy... now, that's a miracle.

I guess I see things from a different perspective. Working in the field I am in is competitve and if I dont want to do the job, theyll find someone else who will (I work in the dot.com industry) and here in the northeast is a constant struggle with the unions in various industries. The company I work for and many others have a very staunch anti-union policy....they even make us sign an acknowledgment of said policy.

a buddy of mine just got hired to write for the WWE and he had done some low level writing for NBC, was a member of WGA, and was so happy to get out from under that because the WWE uses non union writers....WWE wont even bother with you unless you have at least a year under your belt writing somewhere else....

I understand your point of chasing your dream, you and countless others....

It pisses me off because now I can't watch my favorite shows such as the Colbert Report. And Heroes will most likely end early. And films that I look forward to might end up sucking or get derailed.

And let's be completely frank here

Writers are considered the low man on the totem pole in a lot of situations. As a comic book writer, I 've noticed that the artists are given elevated status, and often think we do nothing, really. "Anyone can write" is the thought. "Penciling (coloring, inking, etc) take sooooo much more skill and effort. I color comics as well, and I often color when I am on the telephone because I don't have to concentrate on it.

In the movie world, writers are under constant demands by producers who insist you shoe-horn Venom into Spidey 3 or actors who demand Storm have more screentime than Cyclops... etc. etc. etc. It is not an easy gig.

Writers are considered the low man on the totem pole in a lot of situations. As a comic book writer, I 've noticed that the artists are given elevated status, and often think we do nothing, really. "Anyone can write" is the thought. "Penciling (coloring, inking, etc) take sooooo much more skill and effort. I color comics as well, and I often color when I am on the telephone because I don't have to concentrate on it.

In the movie world, writers are under constant demands by producers who insist you shoe-horn Venom into Spidey 3 or actors who demand Storm have more screentime than Cyclops... etc. etc. etc. It is not an easy gig.

I'll admit I'm kind of a smoree for the writers. I got to talk to Geoff Johns when I was at SDCC this year and it made the trip for me and met one of Marvels writers (Dan Slott) at JFK...we were both on the same flight.....Id much sooner talk to writers about stuff then artists....

But Colbert is over now. Heroes is ending early. :cmad:

THAT'S UNFORGIVEABLE

I'll admit I'm kind of a smoree for the writers. I got to talk to Geoff Johns when I was at SDCC this year and it made the trip for me and met one of Marvels writers (Dan Slott) at JFK...we were both on the same flight.....Id much sooner talk to writers about stuff then artists....

Geoff Johns is on my Aim list, and I stalked Peter David at Wizard World. Dan Slott and I had a great talk, Mark Guggenheim, Alan Heinberg and Jeph Loeb get their comics from the shop I work at and I talk to them too. The writers are so much more interesting to me.

As someone who can draw and color.I cant write for ****! Ive always considered the writer the backbone of the project.The pencils can be phenomenal but without a decent story-you got nothing.The same is easily said for film and television.Nobody got a best actor nom on Galactica in the Emmy's ,it was for writing.Right up there with Sopranos three other nominations for writing.

I think the issue has always been more of a "who can we bone?" situation.

But Colbert is over now. Heroes is ending early. :cmad:

THAT'S UNFORGIVEABLE

This is the greedy part that bothers me....People seem to not care about the issue, but that their entertainment is being interrupted. You dont have a right to be entertained....read a book or something....

This is the greedy part that bothers me....People seem to not care about the issue, but that their entertainment is being interrupted. You dont have a right to be entertained....read a book or something....

You can't blame the audience though, BL. They have every right to be entertained if we continue to provide their entertainment. We can write for the art all we want, but if there is no one to read it, watch it, demand it, then it is masterory and selfish on our part. As artists, creating for oneself and creating for others is not always mutually exclusive, and if you are going to work in media, you have to take the audience into account.

This whole thing is going to be extremely intresting to see how it affects everything.....Me ,personally, yes shows I watch will be affected but if we go into rerun bad place I still have wrestling, my xobx 360 and cable.....and my dvd's I'm good....

You can't blame the audience though, BL. They have every right to be entertained if we continue to provide their entertainment. We can write for the art all we want, but if there is no one to read it, watch it, demand it, then it is masterory and selfish on our part. As artists, creating for oneself and creating for others is not always mutually exclusive, and if you are going to work in media, you have to take the audience into account.

And it sounds best way to get the audience to pay attention. I work in NYC, and I walk past picket lines for one thing or another all the time (they always have the inflatable rat). If it's outside some building I didn't know, and had no idea who they were, I don't really take much notice.

But take away my Jon Stewart, or tell me Heroes is ending December and I'm only getting half a season of Lost...well, now you have my attention. And it reminds me that the people who bring me these things have a right to a fair contract, same as everyone else.

You're damn right my entertainment is being interupted and now the WGA must pay :cmad:

With their lives preferably.

comicbookguy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"