Old Birds of Prey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-...ainment-bat-girl-christina-hodson-1202365866/

Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen Cathy Yan to be the director of an untitled girl gang movie, likely the next superhero film to be graced by Suicide Squad scene-stealer Harley Quinn, in the form of Margot Robbie. A deal has to be completed, but it is expected that Yan will become the third female filmmaker to join the DC club after Wonder Woman‘s Patty Jenkins and Ava DuVernay (for upcoming The New Gods), and the first female Asian director ever tapped to direct a superhero film.

The project is based on Birds of Prey, which in the DC universe teams Quinn with several other crime fighters, namely Black Canary, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Huntress. It is not confirmed if all of them will be characters in the film. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who wrote the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, and just got hired to write the Batgirl movie.

This film looks cleared to start production by year’s end or early next year, after Robbie completes Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She is negotiating to star alongside Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt in the Quentin Tarantino-directed film for Sony Pictures. The other Harley Quinn films are still under construction. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O’Connor. Two others, Harley Quinn Vs The Joker and Gotham City Sirens with Suicide Squad helmer David Ayer, seem further in the distance.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/17/suicide-squad-2-delayed-birds-of-prey/

As for SUICIDE SQUAD 2, clearly moving out of 2018 shoot. The move to go with BOP not only had a lot to do with Hodson's script but also the idea of doing with BATGIRL what Marvel did with Black Panther in CIVIL WAR by introducing them into universe before giving them own film - JUSTIN KROLL

http://collider.com/harley-quinn-movie-r-rated-margot-robbie/

“I pitched the idea of an R-rated girl gang film including Harley, because I was like, ‘Harley needs friends.’ Harley loves interacting with people, so don’t ever make her do a standalone film. She’s got to be with other people, it should be a girl gang. I wasn’t seeing enough girl gangs on screen, especially in the action space. So that was always a big part of it.

Also:
Couple of BIRDS OF PREY tidbits I've learned since the Cathy has come on as director. There are two versions of script, only constant is Harley and Barbara Gordon in both. remaining characters different in both scripts.

Also hearing slight possibility of SQUAD shooting almost immediately after the BIRDS OF PREY shoot

- JUSTIN KROLL (Variety)

So am I the only one who’s stoked that she might be a singer? That’s one of the more interesting additions to her modern character. And if they went to Gaga, they’re looking for a legit voice.
I'm not "stoked" about it, but I'm definitely curious to find out why they need someone who can sing.

DOomuqbXcAAT13K.jpg

For better or for worse (often worse), the movies have drawn a lot from the recent comics. So they could very easily be adapting the Annie Wu stuff about Black Canary being in a band.

Canary cry. duh.

A singing Black Canary reminds me of this fun scene from an episode of Batman: the Brave and the Bold:

GaseousDescriptiveAmericanriverotter-small.gif

[YT]fAFP0IoMfsA[/YT]

Ooh, is Gugu in contention? I hadn’t seen her name mentioned, but yeah she’d be awesome.

Lady Gaga is getting excellent teas for 'A Star Is Born'. So if your gripe is about acting ability then she might surprise.
It’s less about her acting and more that I can’t ****ing stand her. :funny:

Gugu would make a perfect New52/Rebirth version of Helena
3852789-img_0154.png

Breh, ya'll just make me salty that she ain't even in the running for ANY role in this.

Make Birds of Prey an R-rated musical

It was in reference to that Brave and the Bold video.

Make Birds of Prey an R-rated musical

Nah. That's for GCS. See the latest update from KC Walsh I posted in the GCS thread.

I want to know if 4Chan got there first?? Maybe that will warrant more credibility for future scoops.
nNEyhPKH_o.png

A singing Black Canary reminds me of this fun scene from an episode of Batman: the Brave and the Bold:

GaseousDescriptiveAmericanriverotter-small.gif

[YT]fAFP0IoMfsA[/YT]

Ah the innuendo, all the magnificent innuendo. :cwink: Also Gail Simone wrote that if I'm not mistaken.

I know she wants Batgirl, but what about Hailee Stanfeld for Black Canary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"