On Reading Reviews: A Different Vision for Us?

The Original Bamfer

Big, Bald and Beautiful
Reaction score

Disclaimer: These are the opinions/thoughts of TOB - nothing is confirmed or official. Spoilers ahead.

Is it possible we may not see what reviewers do come May 26th?

Yes, this idea can be easily misconstrued as TOB grasping at non-existent straws or sheer lunacy… But go along with me here.

Why would you ever think this, you ask? I’ll tell you.

In the Reviews:
The movie was seen by some, who have said that Rogue gets cured and Cyke vanishes/dies within a short film…

1. The Writers have said that there will be a suiting end to the emotional arcs and to the story of each character (or something along hose lines)… though Movie Rogue may opt for the cure, it is much more noble for her to cope with her power and move on. But the big kicker here is Scott. Unless they kill him off in a way that really makes sense and not some mysterious “did he die” kind of way – he shouldn’t be dead by what the writers have said… A quick death, no resolution with his love of Jean (which should be his climax, being with her again or letting her go) is not a suitable completion of his characters.

2. The running time. Hands down, a lot of people have mentioned the confirmed running time. But others, too, have mentioned longer times that really make more sense. These are legit sources… so, what? They just lied?

3. Changes… So many changes have been made, they say, to the AICN script. If that’s true, then why has pretty much everything we’ve seen similar? Also, it was said that original fates of characters were changed… Why doesn’t this seem to show up in the final version?

4. “This doesn’t make sense,” You say, “Why would they show a crappy version to the critics and release a better one for us?” – To answer that, I would say its likely Critics won’t be devastated by a shorter running time, or a character’s death or Rogue taking the cure… It could be a plus for them. But the publicly released version would be better for the fans, and still upkeep what the Critics want… its possible.

5. SURPRISE! Yeah, that’s what they want to do. What amazing surprise would it be for them to pop out the final, uncut version for theatres? Well-equipped with a living, save-Jean, Cyclops and a non-cured Rogue? What a fine surprise that would be.

Things we were told we'd see, but weren't seen in Previews/Press Screenings:
Phoenix Effect - Its been confirmed we'll see FIRE, not just creepy eyes and shadows
Phoenix Rising - This is the Phoenix Saga's movie! It has to be there, and besides, it was shown slightly in the TV Spot. Why would they waste money on effects if it won't be in the movie?
Storm vs. Phoenix
Colossus vs. Juggernaut
Psylocke's Powers - Mei said we'd see Psi Blades, her merging into walls, and turning into shadows...
Iceman's Ice Slide
Logan's Bar Scene
Storm's Tidal Wave
Rogue's Mother
Mystique's Voice
Kitty/Bobby Kiss
Sentinel (More Reveal, Leg)

I think its possible. Entirely. They could very well try to beat out Jean's death in X2 - and this would be the way to do it. Negative promotion will make an amazing movie seem that much better. FOX isn't stupid...

Uuh...what do you mean???
are you telling me it's true that Rogue does get cured?

Read the fine print.

I get what you're saying TOB but its a one in a million shot

The Original Bamfer said:

Disclaimer: These are the opinions/thoughts of TOB - nothing is confirmed or official. Spoilers ahead.

Yes, this idea can be easily misconstrued as TOB grasping at non-existent straws or sheer lunacy… But go along with me here.

In the Reviews:
The movie was seen by some, who have said that Rogue gets cured and Cyke vanishes/dies within a short film…

1. The Writers have said that there will be a suiting end to the emotional arcs and to the story of each character (or something along hose lines)… though Movie Rogue may opt for the cure, it is much more noble for her to cope with her power and move on. But the big kicker here is Scott. Unless they kill him off in a way that really makes sense and not some mysterious “did he die” kind of way – he shouldn’t be dead by what the writers have said… A quick death, no resolution with his love of Jean (which should be his climax, being with her again or letting her go) is not a suitable completion of his characters.

2. The running time. Hands down, a lot of people have mentioned the confirmed running time. But others, too, have mentioned longer times that really make more sense. These are legit sources… so, what? They just lied?

3. Changes… So many changes have been made, they say, to the AICN script. If that’s true, then why has pretty much everything we’ve seen similar? Also, it was said that original fates of characters were changed… Why doesn’t this seem to show up in the final version?

4. “This doesn’t make sense,” You say, “Why would they show a crappy version to the critics and release a better one for us?” – To answer that, I would say its likely Critics won’t be devastated by a shorter running time, or a character’s death or Rogue taking the cure… It could be a plus for them. But the publicly released version would be better for the fans, and still upkeep what the Critics want… its possible.

5. SURPRISE! Yeah, that’s what they want to do. What amazing surprise would it be for them to pop out the final, uncut version for theatres? Well-equipped with a living, save-Jean, Cyclops and a non-cured Rogue? What a fine surprise that would be.

I think its possible. Entirely. They could very well try to beat out Jean's death in X2 - and this would be the way to do it. Negative promotion will make an amazing movie seem that much better. FOX isn't stupid...

Man, I hope so!! :up:

He's speculating that maybe they are giving out a different version of the film to critics. I think it's possible too. I mean we did get told there are 5 different versions of the film. Who knows.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up though.

I'm just saying that I don't know if we'll see what the Reviews see... I don't know anything.

Really TOB, I think your grabbing straws. The writers will say anything to get as in the seats as long as it resembles the truth in any way...:(

I just don't chose to readily give up hope when I hear things that don't add up...

But why would Fox show off the wrong film to the press? To surprise the fans? Yeah right, we know how much they care about fans..

What they have seen is what we will see, no more games guys, just have to let the acceptance sink in. Holding onto hope now will just lead to more disappointment.

Actually, with further thought, this is making absolute sense... especially in reguards to Rogue... Seeing as how her getting/not getting the cure would not be expensive to do, I would say they definately could have had her get the cure in this version to pleasently surprise us in the real one...

Maybe other things are changed too...

Yeah - it is plucking at straws but definately not impossible! this seems like a big move that would do something like that!

and again, I agree with Ranger. sorry tob. I know what ur saying and it means well but we don't know for sure whats going on with these so called 5 versions of the movie. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know, will have to see. I'm looking forward to this movie either way though.

Why would FOX, as stupid as they are, let the press see the film and review it. Then show us a different version of it? It doesn't make sense, and it would cost MORE money.

The Original Bamfer said:

In the Reviews:

I'm going with this :up: Good job TOB :)

I thought about this also.. if this might be a marketing strategy to get amazing buzz.. i doubt it, but either way i dont care.

PikaZeroX said:
But why would Fox show off the wrong film to the press? To surprise the fans? Yeah right, we know how much they care about fans..

What they have seen is what we will see, no more games guys, just have to let the acceptance sink in. Holding onto hope now will just lead to more disappointment.

I think surprising the fans is a priority... They did it with x2

PWN3R RANGER said:
Really TOB, I think your grabbing straws. The writers will say anything to get as in the seats as long as it resembles the truth in any way...:(

Thing is, some of the things they've said DON'T resemble the truth in any way.

unlikely TOB, wishful thinking at this stage.

If it weren't for XVerse reporting an end credits scene, I'd be with you 100% Bamfer.

While the first couple reviews that came in had some inconsistency to maybe make them fake, each of them has mentioned that end credits scene. An end credits scene was not common knowledge before those reviews were added.

Wolverini seemed to stick up for the latest review too, as he's seen the film.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
Thing is, some of the things they've said DON'T resemble the truth in any way.

What? The reviewers or Zak and Simon?

My source responded with this email statement.

No, I'll see it Friday. I got the run time info from
Fox Post. No way the movie is only 90 min. I'd be
surprised if it were less then 2hrs just based on the
fact that you have so many sub plots because of all
the characters.

I jsut went thru every single page of the reviewer's posts....I have to say it's hurting my head (and eyes). I am very very confused cuz we have so many different opinions from other people who may (or may not) have seen it!! Argh!!! Mebbe I shud just stop coming to these boars till X3 is out and I've seen it for myself

I think it could be true, just because I can't bellieve that the secrets are out this soon. And some spoilers looks lame, like the Xavier coming back in the other body (and the fact that is after the end credits)

Ursavior01 said:
My source responded with this email statement.

No, I'll see it Friday. I got the run time info from
Fox Post. No way the movie is only 90 min. I'd be
surprised if it were less then 2hrs just based on the
fact that you have so many sub plots because of all
the characters.

You could tell that the movie runs incredibly fast paced from the 7 minute preview, even though some scenes were cut a bit. The Angel scene and the Brotherhood church scene did not seem to be cut for length, and those scenes MOVED.

I truely believe the runtime provided by SHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"