One Blu-Ray disc isn't working on my PS3.

Brem

Civilian
Reaction score
I put the disc in the machine, the machine spends a minute trying to load it and, suddenly, makes the eject sound. There's no disc ejected from the machine, and the Blu-Ray doesn't play.

I try again, and again and it still won't start. I did try it in another machine, and it did work on my PS4, and even stranger is moving it back to the PS3 the film did start working. I ejected it, put it back in - it won't work anymore.

Since then I have tried six films. All six films are working, just fine. In fact, in the set the film that isn't working is from, the other two films work just fine as well.

Does anyone has the slightest idea what could be wrong? Is it my PS3? The disc? Because I've wiped the disc down and it still isn't working.

I have had the problem with other discs before, but they usually start working after ejecting or restarting the console. After that, they work just fine. But this film does not want to start at all, and the issue with other films is extremely rare.

It's a shame because it's Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I had hoped to give it a watch. But it just doesn't seem to want to work at all. On top of the six I've tried today, too, I tried about four others yesterday when I noticed the problem and they all worked fine without a single hitch.

which Ps3 do you have? If it's the OG I think the system is just starting to fail.

It's a Slim. I'm not 100% sure, though, if it's one of the first Slims released or not. It's possible I got this Slim as an Uncharted 2 bundle, when they were initially released.

I have thought it could be the machine on its way out, but then, every other Blu-Ray I have tried has worked just fine. I've recently picked up about a dozen new films, and every one of those discs worked fine. I've checked back with some older films I've had, bought a year ago or two years ago, and they work fine.

I've even tried the first discs I ever bought, when the PS3 was first released and they do work fine.

It's just this one disc.

It's a Slim. I'm not 100% sure, though, if it's one of the first Slims released or not. It's possible I got this Slim as an Uncharted 2 bundle, when they were initially released.

I have thought it could be the machine on its way out, but then, every other Blu-Ray I have tried has worked just fine. I've recently picked up about a dozen new films, and every one of those discs worked fine. I've checked back with some older films I've had, bought a year ago or two years ago, and they work fine.

I've even tried the first discs I ever bought, when the PS3 was first released and they do work fine.

It's just this one disc.
hm, I guess the best advice I can give is trade it in for a Ps4 pro. I don't know if Sony even supports the Ps3 anymore. Sorry that's about the best advice I could give

hm, I guess the best advice I can give is trade it in for a Ps4 pro. I don't know if Sony even supports the Ps3 anymore. Sorry that's about the best advice I could give

I already have one. Funny enough, it didn't work on my regular PS4, it did on the Pro. But I haven't tried it since. As soon as I removed it from the Pro, it worked on the PS3, but it stopped working again soon after.

I'll try the Pro and PS4 Standard again, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm half tempted to either buy a cheap Blu-Ray player, or save for a 4K Player, just for the Hell of it. Though I've read recently some 4K Players don't handle standard Blu-Rays well. Which is just.. Bizarre. :/

I already have one. Funny enough, it didn't work on my regular PS4, it did on the Pro. But I haven't tried it since. As soon as I removed it from the Pro, it worked on the PS3, but it stopped working again soon after.

I'll try the Pro and PS4 Standard again, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm half tempted to either buy a cheap Blu-Ray player, or save for a 4K Player, just for the Hell of it. Though I've read recently some 4K Players don't handle standard Blu-Rays well. Which is just.. Bizarre. :/
save for a 4K player. i mean if you're looking to spend, why not just upgrade, you know. if it's about the money, then just wait. you said you have a Ps4 pro and it can play the Blu-ray, so you're good

Check the disc. It could be scratched or have dust on it.

My PS3 blu-ray laser crapped out on me a couple of years ago and I had to have a new one installed into it.

did you get this fixed OP?

Sorry this has taken so long - no I didn't. I have no idea what's wrong. More or less, every disc except a very small selection - we are talking two or three at the most - is fine. Even two of those three will generally work eventually.

Raiders - no. More often than not it just won't register the disc. The disc is fine, I've checked and I've checked and there are no markings.

Very odd. It doesn't even always work in other machines either. Very strange issue.

Want to give an update on this-

Right now, as I'm writing this post- Raiders of the Lost Ark is working.

But it still seems to struggle when I put it into the machine. It will make the disc entry/eject sound and just not show an icon.

However, I also get the same problem with, say, The Adventures of Tintin, the film. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the newer films do it. I had the issue with Star Trek The Next Generation today as well, and I've also had issues with Twin Peaks.

One thing some of these have in common is that they're Paramount. In fact, looking over them all, I think they all have a Paramount logo on the boxes.

So the common thread between Blu-Rays struggling to play, not just on my PS3 but even on other machines- is that they are Paramount Blu-Rays.

Very odd.

All the discs are fine, in good shape. There are no scratches, all marks have been cleaned off. There's nothing that I can see that would cause them to have any issues. But what's weirder is that where Raiders struggles, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade do not have an issue. Or haven't, yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"