Netflix's One Piece Live-Action TV Show

They better cast Asian leads in this or they’ll be getting one piece of my mind

There is no need for all the cast..if you follow Oda-sensei chat at the manga page he reveals the race nation of all main characters if they exist in the real world.

Of all main characters, only Zoro is Asian as he is depicted as Japanese man. While the others, Sanji is France, Luffy is Brazil, Nami is Sweden, Frankie is American.

And i agree with TheVileOne

While I am excited to see live action One Piece with Hollywood budget and style..but I am afraid this will be like Dragon Ball Evolution where they changing so many things to fit into Western/American taste.

And yeah, I am really curious how American showrunner can make this very comical, fun element and fantasy into a believable live action format. To be honest, One Piece in my opinion is far more hard to adapt into live action than Dragon Ball or any other Jump titles.

I really cannot imagine how character like Charlotte Rinrin or Kaido even looked like in live action. Or even the battle of Marineford, thats something that I believe on the same scale or even bigger scale than the AV: Endgame's last battle. (It will be too expensive to do on TV budget)

I have my doubt but for now, I just wait and see for myself.

Last edited:
Oh, wasn’t expecting that but very cool. South Africa is definitely a place I want to visit

That's not going to be the main issue in doing One Piece in live action.

There's always the one person who has to ask about a movie or TV show being "diverse," even when that may not be a focal point. Or doesn't need to be.

So, it begin shooting soon...I still have my doubts but remain open minded as well.

The serious question remains...how many season Netflix is going with this?

If I have to guess..

Season 1 will begin with the early formation of Mugiwara Crews and conclude with Arlong Park story.

Season 2 is fully dedicated into Arabasta arc and Crocodile.

Season 3 is God Enel and Sky Island arc.

Season 4 is Water City arc, the introduction of Frankie.

Season 5 is Thriller Bark arc and introduction of Brook.

Season 6 is Impel Down arc.

Season 7 is Marineford arc, the death of Ace and Shirohige.

Season 8 is Mermaid island arc with the introduction of Jinbee.

Season 9 is Delorossa arc and the defeat of Doflamingo.

Season 10 is Big Mom arc, introduction of Germa 66 (Sanji's family).

Season 11 is Wano Kuni arc, introduction of Kaido.

Season 12 is still the continuation of Wano Kuni arc, with the more flashback on Gold D Roger and Kouzuki Oden's past.

It will be a long season...I just hope the people in creative production can really respect and understand the story and character.

This is exactly what I already stated that Oda-sensei has told the reader a long time ago of the race of each character if they exist in real world.

So, the one that I think must be play by Japan actors is Zoro (and later, all the samurai from Wano Kuni arc).

So, it begin shooting soon...I still have my doubts but remain open minded as well.

If I have to guess..

It will be a long season...I just hope the people in creative production can really respect and understand the story and character.

Oh, I think Water 7 would have to be at least two seasons, given just how much is in that saga with stuff like the Davy Back Fight, Franky Family, Usopp leaving the crew, Enies Lobby, losing Merry, there's a ton to cover that I don't think would fit in just one season.

There's way too much story, material, way too many characters, and way too much ground to cover to satisfyingly break down to a Netflix TV series. How do you do it?

Keep in mind, One Piece has had one long continuous story running on TV for 931 episodes. The show has been on since 1999.

Also, this isn't like a comic book where you have resets, creative teams, etc. It's been the same creator telling one long continuous story for over 20 years.

Look, case in point, look at that POS Death Note movie. They couldn't break down Death Note, which has a fraction of the material of One Piece, into a feature movie.

Not only that, the Netflix Death Note movie removed most of the other Death Gods, the other Death Notes, supernatural aspects. We barely even see Ryuk in the film. He's almost always in shadow.

If I have to guess..

Season 1 will begin with the early formation of Mugiwara Crews and conclude with Arlong Park story.

Season 2 is fully dedicated into Arabasta arc and Crocodile.

Season 3 is God Enel and Sky Island arc.

Season 5 is Thriller Bark arc and introduction of Brook.

Season 6 is Impel Down arc.

Season 7 is Marineford arc, the death of Ace and Shirohige.

Season 8 is Mermaid island arc with the introduction of Jinbee.

Season 9 is Delorossa arc and the defeat of Doflamingo.

Season 10 is Big Mom arc, introduction of Germa 66 (Sanji's family).

Season 11 is Wano Kuni arc, introduction of Kaido.

Season 12 is still the continuation of Wano Kuni arc, with the more flashback on Gold D Roger and Kouzuki Oden's past.

Netflix shows never last this long.

Oh, I think Water 7 would have to be at least two seasons, given just how much is in that saga with stuff like the Davy Back Fight, Franky Family, Usopp leaving the crew, Enies Lobby, losing Merry, there's a ton to cover that I don't think would fit in just one season.

Oh yes.. It has been long time since I read that arc that I remember that particular arc has so many going on in it.
The introduction of CP9 and World Government, and also Nico Robin properly become a crew member is also happen in that arc.

Netflix shows never last this long.

Oh, I know...thats why I have my doubts whether Netflix is capable showing One Piece in its full potential.

One Piece has grand big story, a lot of characters, and immerse world, that makes it almost impossible to do properly in live action, especially in TV show format. You cannot just adapt it like any Marvel or DC where you can just skip some part and adapt/make it what works.

In One Piece, (with the exception of maybe God Enel and Sky Island arc), if you skip/ remove one arc, you will lose the essence of the rest of the story and character.

Thats my concern though. But like I say, I remain open minded. At least until I see the final product.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This has hardly anything to do with the thread but it seems like Taika Waititi is a One Piece fan!

Here’s an update from Production Weekly.

ExVLD1DWQAQsjjH

Official logo
E-Xbz-IVgAQre6d

Official glimpse of the script for the very first episode named after the very first chapter in the manga.

Last edited:
Logo's nice at least. Hope they do use "We Are" in the show. Even if they never use any of the other subsequent opening themes, you kind of have to use "We Are."

This series has to have a high budget, right? You'd need one to be able to pull off a lot of the Devil Fruit abilities, especially Luffy's stretchy body.

Okay the logo looks neat.
A bit strange seeing a real skull with a strawhat...but i kind of like it.

Im really curious about the visuals of this.

So exciting! Can’t wait to get more information

I just knew that Oda-sensei is one of the producer.

At least Oda sensei will involve somewhat, so this makes me optimism a little bit that hopefully the story would not stray too much from the source material.

Though I am still prefer One Piece live action to be a movie instead of TV Show (like Rurouni Kenshin)...just have a open mind to this right now.

By the way...One Piece #100 is just released today here.

That makes One Piece (alongside with Meitantei/Detective Conan are one of the manga titles that managed to get into a hundred book which is rare nowdays).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"